• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Omagh Bomb

euryalus

According to BBC Northern Ireland, "Two men who were sued over the Omagh bomb have been found liable for the 1998 atrocity at their civil retrial. The judge described the evidence against Colm Murphy and Seamus Daly as overwhelming. The action was taken by the victims' families, who have been awarded £1.6m damages.Twenty-nine people, including a woman pregnant with twins, were killed in the Real IRA attack on the County Tyrone town in August 1998. Delivering his summary, Mr Justice Gillen recognised the scale of the terrorist outrage for which no one has ever been convicted".

I am surprised that there has, as yet, been no comment about this on Politics.ie In fact the silence has been deafening.

Hitch 22

Murphy, Daly and others have been protected by a code of silence in the border areas.
Many many people know much more but refuse to co-operate with the Gardaí and the PSNI north and south of the border.
These scumbags are allowed intimidate ordinary decent people and they strut around confident that they will never go to prison.

Murphy, Daly and others have been protected by a code of silence in the border areas.
Many many people know much more but refuse to co-operate with the Gardaí and the PSNI north and south of the border.
These scumbags are allowed intimidate ordinary decent people and they strut around confident that they will never go to prison.
It's sickening.

henryhill

Seeing as they are unlikely to be able to pay the £1.6 million in damages, what happens there?

derryman

Look I know it happens all the time. But can anyone explain how come there is evidence to be able to find against them in a civil court but not in a criminal court. Because from where I am standing the law appears, indeed to be an ass.

henryhill

Look I know it happens all the time. But can anyone explain how come there is evidence to be able to find against them in a civil court but not in a criminal court. Because from where I am standing the law appears, indeed to be an ass.
The burden of proof is lower.

Criminal court: Beyond a reasonable doubt.
Civil court: On the balance of probability.

derryman

The burden of proof is lower.

Criminal court: Beyond a reasonable doubt.
Civil court: On the balance of probability.
Alright but it seems to me that if there is a question over a guilty verdict in a criminal court that question remains in a civil court. Or viceversa

I can accept the logic but still feel that it leaves the work of justice looking a little indecisive.

Levellers

The reason no prosecution succeeded was that there were two RUC informers involved and one Gardaí informer involved in this incident.

No RUC person was injured in the making of this atrocity.

Hitch 22

The reason no prosecution succeeded was that there were two RUC informers involved and one Gardaí informer involved in this incident.

No RUC person was injured in the making of this atrocity.
The reason is that there are people who have information, people who with blood on their hands from similar crimes during the provo campaign, but put their politics before justice for the victims and their families and bizarrely think they would be traitors if they sell out their supposed fellow republicans.

Levellers

The reason is that there are people who have information, people who with blood on their hands from similar crimes during the provo campaign, but put their politics before justice for the victims and their families and bizarrely think they would be traitors if they sell out their supposed fellow republicans.
The RUC knew in advance about this bomb. It was allowed through because it was a nationalist town. The RUC then proceeded to move people who were walking away back towards the car. Yet not one RUC person was hurt.

Four or five previous attempts were thwarted due to information from the informers. The decision was taken at a high level to allow this one through.

Hitch 22

The RUC knew in advance about this bomb. It was allowed through because it was a nationalist town. The RUC then proceeded to move people who were walking away back towards the car. Yet not one RUC person was hurt.

Four or five previous attempts were thwarted due to information from the informers. The decision was taken at a high level to allow this one through.
I bet you also believe Diana was killed by Prince Philip, that 9/11 was an inside job, that the 7/7 attacks were a false flag operation, the moon landings weren't real and that JFK was killed by a grassy knoll shooter?

Get a life you f*cking twat.

ergo2

Any basis at all for those claims.?

Omagh has had a large unionist population

Hitch 22

See! There now they were unionists! So that means the victims were also in on the plot too. :lol: They all agreed in advance with the RUC to die so republicanism could be discredited. It all makes sense now!

Gracchus

Still about nearly 70% catholic, so you could call it a Nationalist town.

It does stink of high heaven that the police were unable to secure convictions on this one though. The families deserve justice.

I was waiting for the "it was deliberately orchestrated by the police" line.

It happened yesterday on the anniversary of Warrington, and I sort of expected the same today.

But it didn't happen immediately, so I began to think that the RA scum must finally have realised that there is a line. Not in the same position where normal people would place it, but a line.

I was wrong.

It does stink of high heaven that the police were unable to secure convictions on this one though. The families deserve justice.
The facts are that the two biggest atrocities of The Troubles resulted in a grand total of zero convictions. Yet the dogs in the street know well who committed them. Disgraceful.

Both forces should have learned from Dublin/Monaghan and should have had their respective acts in order.

In effect, the two gravest crimes committed on the Island since Partition have gone unpunished.

petaljam

You could. But Omagh was traditionally a garrison town, so you would be painting a misleading picture of who shops in Omagh.

As the list of victims shows, it is more mixed than many places in NI. It was also traditionally fairly moderate politically compared to some other parts of Tyrone.
I think that is a separate issue.

Though if you're looking for a conspiracy theory, how about the need to keep certain factions on board during the peace process as a possible explanation for how the investigation afterwards was so thoroughly screwed up?