• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

On Liveline

cactusflower

At least half the problem is to do with public transport. She would have to drive to work and pay the M50 toll to get there. A lot of people in Dublin can't take up lower paid jobs because they can't get to them.

The city is too low density and sprawling and can't be properly serviced with buses.

polito123

When times were good the dole should have been scrapped, now is not the time to start tampering with it. It's a joke, 204 euro a week for doing SFA.

Ah Well

Woman wont take job in /Ikea paying 9.40euro an hour as she's better off on dole. This country is ********************ed
There's a crowd close to me where one partner will shortly be left go and they're realising that if both of them jacked it in they would prob work out better off ... and actually considering this .... :eek:

It goes without saying that the country is ******* if everyone starts doing this. Taking from those working to pay for those who are not can only go so far.

asset test

In certain cases half SW can be retained when taking up a job. Means tests apply to Lone Parents allowance, but if the lady is as badly off as stated, some or all of that payment may be retained when returning to work. Family Income Supplement is available to all workers to bring a weekly wage up to around €500 or so.

There are incentives to return to work. But maybe they are not available to this lady, or she doesn't want to.

Clanrickard

YesSireeeBob

where's the father?????????????????????????????????????????????? why isn't he paying anything????????????

kerrynorth

What her case highlights is that she is receiving 2 social welfare payments - the lone parent allowance and 1/2 unemployment benefit. It is the fact that she is receiving 2 social welfare payments that is making work unattractive to her. There ends to be an end to this double payment of social welfare.

Clanrickard

Remove the payment.
Exactly. But will our politicians have the cojones to suggest that this should be put it place? The one that does will get my vote.

DCon

And like a lot of people on the lone parent allowance, the father of the children is probably living with her.

All the lone parents gig did is stop people getting married.

atlantic

Good to see this been brought up on Agony Aunt Joe,s programme.Its about time the rip offs going on in the SW are highlighted and sorted.

Rich OC

Website
www.twitter.com
Exactly. But will our politicians have the cojones to suggest that this should be put it place? The one that does will get my vote.
If you leave a job you automatically are subjected to a 9 week disallowance. As a minimum this should also apply to refusing a job.

If you are not genuinely seeking work then you do not qualify for Jobseekers Allowance or Benefit, and should not be paid it. The rules are already there all that needs to happen is that they apply them.

Libero

It's very, very short-sighted for anyone to make a straight comparison between what they'd earn working and what they'd get on the dole.

Because when the dole and other benefits are cut (and they will have to be - even with Labour in government), all that time out of work will make it even harder to get employment then.

Also, even with a minimum wage job in the likes of IKEA, there's a chance of internal promotion or moving on to another, better paid, retail job. You don't get that when unemployed.

constitutionus

Woman wont take job in /Ikea paying 9.40euro an hour as she's better off on dole. This country is ********************ed
and she's right !

the jobs on the till which is for spotty teenages doing a night course to get a REAL job.

NOT for raising two kids. its VERY telling that IKEA didnt bother their arse telling people what the wage was till after the fact and it seems to be a case of trying to optimise on a recession to drive down wages.

ben dunne is paying 14 euro an hour to people to make sandwiches FFS.

those are the jobs she should be going for.

classic hatchet job by joe and RTE to demonise the social welfare claimants. my advice to the woman would be to pass on the job for someone else who doesnt have two dependants to take up which will probably result in em renting a two bed apt with one of their mates to make a life for themselves. i.e it'd be worth their while.

asset test

Social Welfare payments appear to be benchmarked against the wage this lady has been offered.

Therefore, why would a person give up their current lifestyles to go to work for minimum wage. Something is terribly wrong with this system.

It seems to me that married couples may be losing out in comparison to a single parent where one spouse works for minimum or thereabouts wage. That is a big issue and is not fair in my view and needs to be addressed. I know FIS is available but is that enough?

Her point was that she will gain 1 euro by going back to work. It is not economically viable for her to do so. But if she is on jobseekers allowance, will that be cut if she refuses to take the job?

myk

It's very, very short-sighted for anyone to make a straight comparison between what they'd earn working and what they'd get on the dole.

Because when the dole and other benefits are cut (and they will have to be - even with Labour in government), all that time out of work will make it even harder to get employment then.

Also, even with a minimum wage job in the likes of IKEA, there's a chance of internal promotion or moving on to another, better paid, retail job. You don't get that when unemployed.

I was just going to make the point, but you seem to have made it first...

If unemployment continues to rise and the tax take continues to fall, then I think the government (or the next one) will have no choice but to cut social welfare rates (and/or social welfare coverage).

breakingnews

and she's right !

the jobs on the till which is for spotty teenages doing a night course to get a REAL job.

NOT for raising two kids. its VERY telling that IKEA didnt bother their arse telling people what the wage was till after the fact and it seems to be a case of trying to optimise on a recession to drive down wages.

ben dunne is paying 14 euro an hour to people to make sandwiches FFS.

those are the jobs she should be going for.

classic hatchet job by joe and RTE to demonise the social welfare claimants. my advice to the woman would be to pass on the job for someone else who doesnt have two dependants to take up which will probably result in em renting a two bed apt with one of their mates to make a life for themselves. i.e it'd be worth their while.
She should not be a burden on the state. She presumably doesn't have the skills or qualifications to get a job that pays more. So she should either return to education or take the job. She could in theory make her way to management level and in that way earn more.

You're supporting people not working - imagine the whole country did that. What would these people have done 100 years ago!

Social welfare needs to be reformed. It was designed to stop poverty, but it has led to a culture of dependency. Do-gooders will have to accept that.