On Mature Reflection, How Was Your 3rd Level Expereince?

General Urko

On Mature Reflection, How Was Your 3rd Level Experience?

My question was prompted by a number of things including that in vocational terms a general primary degree today is about as valuable as the inter cert was back in the day and that if as is happening in The UK, you are carrying vast levels of student debt and you don't get anything substantial in terms of employment from your degree, apart from buying a house prior to the bust, you are effectively engaging with the biggest and most expensive con job, you will ever engage with!

What was my experience like -

Well the overwhelming positive was that I made some life long friends, who have now known me as a boy, early adulthood and now in middle age!

My passion in life is history and politics and I didn't do either of these in University, though I was well capable of doing the degree I completed!

I came from the bottom 10% socio-economically going into university, which at that time would have been quite unusual, so I was probably in the bottom 1% socio-economically while in it!
In fact it used to amaze me that you could have a person who came from a background where 1 parent was a solicitor and the other was a doctor speaking about somebody who had a relation in Haughey's Cabinet as 'being loaded'!

The standard of teaching was generally poor enough, though there were some excellent lecturers/Profs!

I reckon I was less confident coming out than going in!

We were semesterised which was completely absurd and had to take all exams for our grade average and the marking system was vastly tougher than it is today!

I would be fairly sure that even in the backwards Ireland of the time, we had the highest rate of virginity on graduation (probably 95%)of any 3rd level institution (well university) anywhere in the Western World, including Maynooth!
I didn't know of the concept of FGM at the time, but on reflection there was definitely a psychosexual FGM going on in a lot of the young women there, Country girleens from the West, genetic memories of The Magdellan Concentration Camps, I actually thought for a while that women had no real libidos at all!

Of course this has all got to be contextualised in my case back 30 years ago!

Subsequently, I studied with The GMIT and DIT and both certainly worked their students harder, but made their course more interesting!

How was it for you?

Last edited:

publicrealm

1973 to 1976 as an Arts undergrad in UCG. The girls were amazing. Wonderful time - good lecturers - great craic.

Full time employment followed.

Post grad UCD, decades later. Boring lecturers, boring students.

Boring.

General Urko

1973 to 1976 as an Arts undergrad in UCG. The girls were amazing. Wonderful time - good lecturers - great craic.

Boring.
Second time out you probably had to engage with snowflakes or wannabe snowflakes!
I think my psychosexual FGM in the mind comment was more a West of Ireland thing and may be more geared towards those in my faculty! Mind you it was in the 80s and post the liberalization of the condom laws!

D

Deleted member 48908

Boring.
There have been many songs written about the amazing girls in Galway.

Probably the greatest place in Ireland.

publicrealm

Second time out you probably had to engage with snowflakes or wannabe snowflakes!
I think my psychosexual FGM in the mind comment was more a West of Ireland thing and may be more geared towards those in my faculty! Mind you it was in the 80s and post the liberalization of the condom laws!
Virgins were a rarity in UCG in the 70's - with the possible exception of some lecturers..

D

Deleted member 48908

70s UCG was The Cellar
80s UCG was becoming The Warwick and The King's Head

General Urko

Virgins were a rarity in UCG in the 70's - with the possible exception of some lecturers..
How do you know?
I even spoke to a few people who had done the same degree a few years earlier and I was told apart from some gems from Donegal (huge community schools, used to lads) there was no sex!

General Urko

There have been many songs written about the amazing girls in Galway.

Probably the greatest place in Ireland.
And the liberal girls there were from outside Galway and weren't usually in the 80s students!

nationalsday

Boring.
Lucky bleeder, as Ian Dury had it.

Arts in UCG in the mid 1970's must have been like an untold halcyon shangri-la - parties galore every night, where chaps ran about wearing nowt' but streamers in their hair, balloons covering their privates, and all the girls chasing them with pins...

General Urko

70s UCG was The Cellar
80s UCG was becoming The Warwick and The King's Head
Whatever about the bra burners in the 70s, getting a french kiss would have been considered Mo Saleh Level scoring in The Warwick or The Oasis(now sadly both in ruins, well the former is being refurbished and sold on. apparently and all the very best to them) back in the 80s!

General Urko

Lucky bleeder, as Ian Dury had it.

Arts in UCG in the mid 1970's must have been like an untold halcyon shangri-la - parties galore every night, where chaps ran about wearing nowt' but streamers in their hair, balloons covering their privates, and all the girls chasing them with pins...
I wonder ala The Chinese Authorities clamping down post The Tianeman Square Protests, is that why semesterisation was introduced, which also had the effect of making it impossible to join sports clubs and societies!

D

Deleted member 48908

Whatever about the bra burners in the 70s, getting a french kiss would have been considered Mo Saleh Level scoring in The Warwick or The Oasis(now sadly both in ruins, well the former is being refurbished and sold on. apparently and all the very best to them) back in the 80s!
If you couldn't score in The Oasis, General, you just might have been playing the wrong sport old boy.

General Urko

If you couldn't score in The Oasis, General, you just might have been playing the wrong sport old boy.
But 'scoring' was lobbing the gob only, there would have been no genital interaction!

General Urko

Can we get back more in line with the original post please!

dizillusioned

Honestly, it was damned hard work. Seeing as I hadn’t a clue what I wanted to do and how to achieve it. The lecturers were mostly good. I had many a run in with three of them. They hated having their thoughts and pontifications questioned. Personally, if something felt wrong I always questioned it and argued my case.. mostly met by the three with derision and looks of disbelief on my fellow students faces. I still see one of them on TV and cannot abide the smug pontificating git...

I made life long friends, had a blast and saw U2 before they were famous Bono was still a d1ck in those days, the other lads were great. One of them was dating a friends room mate.

Was it worth it? Hmmm no. Did post grad and once I got qualification.. changed direction completely and started at the bottom of the line again. Had a massively diverse education and went on to finish it completely at night time while working full time. It wasn’t easy being the worker, dad and student all in one but I did it and have a lot of experience which made it easier.

I remember being in lectures for hours a week, then tutorials and then working... when I see the kids now and so few lectures I wonder. One good thing about working and going to school... no debt..;)

publicrealm

We had to beat them off in the 70 General - maybe it was the pendulum effect in the 80's?

Exams may have been a little less serious then (70's)- although there were swots. Even the swats were game though.

Fabulous girls.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies