• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

On the Buses - Go Ahead get the Green Light from SDCC for Depot in Walkinstown - cui bono?

Catalpast

On the Buses - Go Ahead get the Green Light from SDCC for Depot in Walkinstown - cui bono?

Sometimes you don't know whether to laugh:D

- or cry...:cry:

From next November UK Transport Group will be operating a fleet of Our Buses out of the Ballymount rd Walkinstown

- a most unsuitable location BTW as from my days working around there the whole area is a traffic Blackspot

- and that was 2 Booms ago!

Anyway can anyone see what gain there is to fare paying passengers to handing over 10% of routes to a Private Bus Company with a patchy record of service it would seem in other places they operate ?

Even if they were efficient it is hard to see what gain there would be as I know from around Blanch - where a number of routes they will be taking over - that they probably are as efficient as they are ever going to get

The State will still own the Buses BTW and set fares routes and timetables

- but is anyone so naïve that that will last...?

Plans for a major new bus depot near Walkinstown in Dublin that will be used by UK firm Go-Ahead to operate bus routes on the outskirts of the capital have been given the all-clear by South Dublin County Council.
The depot, located at a former DHL distribution hub to the west of the city, will be used to house about 98 vehicles from the 125-strong bus fleet that will be operated by Go-Ahead. Last year, the firm won a contract to operate about 10pc of Dublin Bus routes in the outer metropolitan area.
Go-Ahead plans to start operating the 24 routes next November. It will be using a fleet of 40 single-decker buses and 85 double-deckers. It will employ 350 drivers and 90 office and maintenance staff.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/uk-bus-group-goahead-gets-green-light-for-depot-36609443.html

Last edited:

razorblade

Good its about time that the state monopoly transport service ended in this country.

Catalpast

Good its about time that the state monopoly transport service ended in this country.
Dublin Bus is now quite a good service overall

- not perfect but a huge improvement on even 10 years ago

I cant see what the ordinary fee paying passenger will gain here

Looking at the routes operating in and out of Blanchardstown SC its hard to see them surviving in their current format

- as they are clearly coach & horses routes at the moment rather than Cash Cows

Only a matter of time until Go ahead approach the Government of the day with a new 'Plan'....

Analyzer

Comprtition is badly needed.

hiding behind a poster

Good to see no-one's rushing to judgement, anyway.....

Catalpast

I cannot see the gain for the consumer here TBH

Will Dublin Bus State subvention be cut by 10% as well

- or will they at least be able to plough that into other areas?

APettigrew92

Should've gotten in the French, the Dutch or the Belgians.

A quick bus ride through the streets of London will soon teach you that the British couldn't organize reliable transport if they had one street in the town.

The trend of privatizing public services is dying a death. It turns out that without reliable competition, the same inefficiencies and abuses seep into the esprit du corps as it would.

The only difference is the money is being exported to a multinational rather than being reintroduced to the local market. Public transport should be a civil right as much as clean streets.

To entrust public services to private companies not interested in the welfare of a given public is madness and only post-Thatcherite zombies still truly believe in the power of privatization. You need only look at the recent Carillion debacle to understand the levels of depravity going on in the private sector.

fergal1790

Yes the subvention will be cut as it is based on passenger kilometres. the gain for commuters is that the NTA will be able to keep the cost of providing bus services lower by employing non-CIE companies who won't be subject to the same union restriction as all state run operations.

Catalpast

Yes the subvention will be cut as it is based on passenger kilometres. the gain for commuters is that the NTA will be able to keep the cost of providing bus services lower by employing non-CIE companies who won't be subject to the same union restriction as all state run operations.
So its race to the bottom economics then?

You will probably not see any Irish drivers on the routes so...

At the end of the day commuters will be paying the same fare for the same service

Over time they will end up paying more for a reduced service....

gijoe

I support this. The idea is that the consumer is unaffected - the fares are the same and the Leap Card will work just the same. But it should cost the taxpayer less to subvent the routes through the tendering process. Plus the next Dublin Bus go on strike the News will be pointing out that the Go Ahead routes are unaffected.......until the Dublin Bus drivers place secondary pickets on their depot unlawfully at least.

ShoutingIsLeadership

I support this. The idea is that the consumer is unaffected - the fares are the same and the Leap Card will work just the same. But it should cost the taxpayer less to subvent the routes through the tendering process. Plus the next Dublin Bus go on strike the News will be pointing out that the Go Ahead routes are unaffected.......until the Dublin Bus drivers place secondary pickets on their depot unlawfully at least.
How often do Dublin Bus staff strike?

Catalpast

I don't believe the commuters of Dublin West will be better off though

I know most of these routes

They are not profit making

- passengers way too low outside of peak times

So why would Go Ahead go ahead with them?

OK to get their foot on the pedal

They are a Big enough operator to take a loss on a few minor routes until they build up a presence

Once they have they will look for 'changes'

fergal1790

So its race to the bottom economics then?

You will probably not see any Irish drivers on the routes so...

At the end of the day commuters will be paying the same fare for the same service

Over time they will end up paying more for a reduced service....
How will commuters be paying more? Go Ahead have no say over the fares or the frequency of the services!

The NTA have contracted them to operate a number of buses on a number of routes at a certain frequency. they are given buses and just have to provide drivers and their own depot. I imagine all maintenance will be outsourced by the NTA who owns the buses.

The buses can run empty for weeks and the company have no say, they are still contracted to operate the services regardless of passenger numbers. The Fare-box is nothing to do with Go Ahead as it goes to the NTA.

What this does is encourage companies to cut out drivers who are not pulling their weight within a company. People who expect to get €60,000+ for a few hours work per shift are dinosaurs who will soon be hit with extinction!

If Irish drivers decide not to work driving buses then others will offer their services and be trained to drive buses and work for a reasonable wage.

fergal1790

I don't believe the commuters of Dublin West will be better off though

I know most of these routes

They are not profit making
- passengers way too low outside of peak times
The routes don't have to be profit making as the company is paid to operate a number of services regardless of passenger numbers or fare-box revenue
So why would Go Ahead go ahead with them?
OK to get their foot on the pedal

They are a Big enough operator to take a loss on a few minor routes until they build up a presence

Once they have they will look for 'changes'
You just don't get it at all. Go Ahead will not make a loss on the routes unless they tendered less than it will cost to employ drivers for the routes and a depot for their staff.

There is no big profits to be made on any of the NTA contracts, the profits are based on the length of the contracts and include deductions for fines due to poor performance etc

the money to be made is in offering drivers a reasonable living wage which is far less than what is being paid in Bus eireann and Dublin Bus at the moment but I can see that changing in the next few years because Dermo Thug O'Leary and his rabble union are just about finished

Catalpast

The routes don't have to be profit making as the company is paid to operate a number of services regardless of passenger numbers or fare-box revenue
You just don't get it at all. Go Ahead will not make a loss on the routes unless they tendered less than it will cost to employ drivers for the routes and a depot for their staff.

There is no big profits to be made on any of the NTA contracts, the profits are based on the length of the contracts and include deductions for fines due to poor performance etc

the money to be made is in offering drivers a reasonable living wage which is far less than what is being paid in Bus eireann and Dublin Bus at the moment but I can see that changing in the next few years because Dermo Thug O'Leary and his rabble union are just about finished
The problems with Dublin Bus were not caused by the drivers*

- it was caused by lack of Government Investment & Bad management

I don't know if you use DB regularly but I do and there is no doubt the service has improved dramatically in the last decade or so

Driver a City Bus is hugely stressful and demanding job

- just not too many people are going to stick with it for an AIW

I think you are being delusional if you think a profit orientated Company will not try and cut corners

- to increase their Profits...

* of course there were/are bad apples

Clanrickard