• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

On the roads tomorrow-Beware of the Farmers.

Ecoguy

Its Tesco these farmers should be going after. Had an interesting chat with a Teagasc insider over the weekend who said that the company have no intention of paying any Irish Farmer particulary Dairy and Vegetable farmers anything near the cost of production since they can import everything they need from over the border and the UK for alot less. He said this will effectly finish milk production in this country since unlike the situation in the UK when Tesco were eventually forced to pay the farmers the cost of production and a tiny bit above due to the fact so many farmers were going out of business that their supply chain was threatened, no such problem exists here since Dairy farmers in NI alone can easily supply the market South of the Border.

Tressell

Its Tesco these farmers should be going after. Had an interesting chat with a Teagasc insider over the weekend who said that the company have no intention of paying any Irish Farmer particulary Dairy and Vegetable farmers anything near the cost of production since they can import everything they need from over the border and the UK for alot less. He said this will effectly finish milk production in this country since unlike the situation in the UK when Tesco were eventually forced to pay the farmers the cost of production and a tiny bit above due to the fact so many farmers were going out of business that their supply chain was threatened, no such problem exists here since Dairy farmers in NI alone can easily supply the market South of the Border.
I'd support the farmers as the more disruption thats caused the more likely this Govt. might collapse. However, as for the farmers themselves, I can drive a road for approx. 15 miles down here in the midlands, and no more than 10 fields have cattle or sheep and no more than a dozen fields have veg. growing in same.Drive from the Hook of Holland to the German border, and every field has activity of some sort going on. Don't say its the EU 'cause Holland is part of that aswell. The same applies to France, Germany and Belgium.

I'd support the farmers as the more disruption thats caused the more likely this Govt. might collapse. However, as for the farmers themselves, I can drive a road for approx. 15 miles down here in the midlands, and no more than 10 fields have cattle or sheep and no more than a dozen fields have veg. growing in same.Drive from the Hook of Holland to the German border, and every field has activity of some sort going on. Don't say its the EU 'cause Holland is part of that aswell. The same applies to France, Germany and Belgium.
That's a bit synical. Irish land is not a good as Holland's.

I thought the IFA voted yes for recovery?

So why are they protesting? Surely they should be enjoying all this recovery Ireland is basking in.

Tressell

That's a bit synical. Irish land is not a good as Holland's.
I'm no farmer and so I'll concede that point, however surely theres something wrong that all of this land is lying idle. And this isn't land thats stuck up a mountain in Connemara. The midlands for God's sake.

White Horse

Have you ever tried to produce something from Irish land? Lots of the land isn't economically viable. The really fertile plots are farmed intensively.

dresden8

Just because they're growing grass doesn't mean they're not growing a crop. Jaysus, I'm a Dub and even I know that.

The Future of Crop Production in Ireland Climate Change and Sustainable Land Use

while grass, cereals and maize are a major source of food for our cattle industry
Plenty of links out there.

Here's another

http://www.country-wide.co.nz/article/10953.html

For many years most Irish dairy farmers have been reliant on high-cost concentrates to drive production but they are looking at ways to cut costs and reduce inputs without compromising production.

Limerick-based farm adviser Fintan Monhan says that of his 120 clients, around 25% are now running pasture-based systems, but interest in these systems has increased exponentially as returns have fallen.

Limerick dairy farmers Paul and David Hyland have been leading the way in their district. They have followed a grass-based system for several years now. Their production costs at 15c/L (not including leases or interest rates) are 10c/L less than the average cost of production in Ireland.

I'm no farmer and so I'll concede that point, however surely theres something wrong that all of this land is lying idle. And this isn't land thats stuck up a mountain in Connemara. The midlands for God's sake.
I have something of a farming backround (although not in the midlands). I've never known it to be an issue. Farmers will always make the best use of the land available that they can. If land is not wanted it can always be rented or sold. Unfortunately the government have decided to bankrupt as many small farmers as they can by stopping the REPS scheme which was part funded by the EU. Cutting it will cause a net loss to the exchequer.

hmmm

Are the government going to allow every self-interested lobby group to economically blockade the rest of the country as a means of having their point heard? Those of us who pay taxes are being blocked from generating the wages that pay those taxes.

Tressell

Are the government going to allow every self-interested lobby group to economically blockade the rest of the country as a means of having their point heard? Those of us who pay taxes are being blocked from generating the wages that pay those taxes.
Gardai have given permission for the 28 towns to be blocked. Then again the Gardai are not too happy either

True Republican

Gardai have given permission for the 28 towns to be blocked. Then again the Gardai are not too happy either
They should call in the army and the army rangers to deal with the militant farmers, baton charging is whats required.

Tressell

They should call in the army and the army rangers to deal with the militant farmers, baton charging is whats required.
The army aint too happy either.:D The times are a changin...

Lay off the farmers they have as much right as any group to protest. This is a legal protest. Just let them get on with it.

Tressell

Lay off the farmers they have as much right as any group to protest. This is a legal protest. Just let them get on with it.
I agree 100% protest the longer the better. Perhaps its time for Padraig Walshe and the Unions to sit down together and map this out correctly.

True Republican

The army aint too happy either.:D The times are a changin...
So you approve of the fact that ordinary people shouldn't be allowed go about their daily business because a bunch of farmers have to pay tax, shame on you.

Tressell

So you approve of the fact that ordinary people shouldn't be allowed go about their daily business because a bunch of farmers have to pay tax, shame on you.
I know farmers that pay tax and are quite happy to do so. I also know that protests are still allowed, plenty of support out there for same, and btw, you also can go about your daily business, just make alternative arrangements.

True Republican

I know farmers that pay tax and are quite happy to do so. I also know that protests are still allowed, plenty of support out there for same, and btw, you also can go about your daily business, just make alternative arrangements.
How long do the farmers intend to blockade the roads for?

Tressell

How long do the farmers intend to blockade the roads for?
A couple of hours around midday is the protest excluding all the tooing and frowing of machinery etc. 28 towns around the country from North to south , east to west.