On These Figures is an FG / FF Coalition Possible?

Tea Party Patriot

Firstly I know the vitriol is going to spew at this suggestion but it is still none the less a possible scenario. If a total meltdown occurred for FF which is quite plausible then:

After the General election you have the following figures:
FG 65
Lab 55
FF 35
Other 11

If FG were to go into government with Labour they would get perhaps 8 ministries + Taoiseach with Labour on 7. Would it possible to envisage a situation where FG would entre government with FF where they could bargain from a hard position for 11 ministries + Taoiseach with FF on 4?

A highly unlikely scenario I know, but would they scorn the chance at three extra ministries?

livingstone

They would. The next Government needs to start with some degree of goodwill or they will find it impossible to run the country in the harsh manner that is necessary. A Government that includes FF will not achieve that goodwill. FG and FF would both be decimated in such a scenario. Not a runner.

d7bohs

They would. The next Government needs to start with some degree of goodwill or they will find it impossible to run the country in the harsh manner that is necessary. A Government that includes FF will not achieve that goodwill. FG and FF would both be decimated in such a scenario. Not a runner.

Decimated means to be reduced by a factor of one in ten - a 10% 'haircut'. Bet FF would bite your leg off for that at the moment.

turdsl

Fianna Fail have lowered the standard of government for many years now, I would not think any party will find them as a suitable partner for a long time.

Radix

FG needs to assert it's own identity and move away from any part it played in the propogation of bubble economics. Hence now is the chance to show the public that they are intent on agressively trimming the excess fat on that couch potatoe that is Ireland.

Richard Bruton's article today was a good start!

Cute hoorism will have to get the back seat also, so that FF in opposition cannot snipe about hypocrisy in the new government.

ocoonassa

These parties are all the same. It makes no difference which of them are in charge. Only the sorely deluded really think that had Family of the Gael and Labour had been in charge things would be somehow different.

Are we a bit f*cking thick or what's the problem?

culmore

nobody would want to be assiocated with FF next time, FG should try to go it alone or get support of sinn Fein, remember there is not much difference in collins and Adams so history could repeat itself

myksav

Firstly I know the vitriol is going to spew at this suggestion but it is still none the less a possible scenario. If a total meltdown occurred for FF which is quite plausible then:

After the General election you have the following figures:
FG 65
Lab 55
FF 35
Other 11

If FG were to go into government with Labour they would get perhaps 8 ministries + Taoiseach with Labour on 7. Would it possible to envisage a situation where FG would entre government with FF where they could bargain from a hard position for 11 ministries + Taoiseach with FF on 4?

A highly unlikely scenario I know, but would they scorn the chance at three extra ministries?
It could happen but only two weeks after Fine Gael form coalition with Sinn Féin.

On the figures you use. I have a strange feeling that FF will get more than 35 seats, possibly up to 40. FG maybe about 60~62. Lab about 50~52. Others possibly 12~13.

Tea Party Patriot

It could happen but only two weeks after Fine Gael form coalition with Sinn Féin.

On the figures you use. I have a strange feeling that FF will get more than 35 seats, possibly up to 40. FG maybe about 60~62. Lab about 50~52. Others possibly 12~13.
Personally I don't think an FG / SF colation will be possible until the leardership of SF from the IRA era has retired, however you can always be wrong in political calls. A the moment that is 10 to 15 years away.

I could be completly wrong on the figures but others are currently on 17, perhaps I have been a bit harsh on them but I personally believe that it will be hard baring a change in the opinion polls for SF, and independents to convince voters that they will hold a blance of power and therefore I am giving them to hold their own.

I don't see the greens winning any seats, your average FF voter won't transfer and FG and Lab voters certainly won't on this occasion. They have always been transfer dependent to win seats and therefore in the absence of a successful economy while in government I genuinely think they are done for.

I genuinely think that after the next election there will be three possiblilites, FG / Lab most likely, and then the unlikely FG / FF, or Lab / FF.

If the FF core vote comes out they could well hold up to 50 seats, but many FF supporters may not vote at all on this occasion, they aren't any happier with the government inaction and lack of firm decison making than anyone else.

The real question I am asking is if the above sceanario arose, would the three FG spokespersons that would loose out bring internal pressure on the party, and also and should have mentioned this earlier would they not hold the upper hand in policy implementation as well?

myksav

I can't see FF and FG in coalition. They're like fraternal twins who "hate" each other.

Future Irish Leader

it would be great from a labour point of view FG and FF would self destruct in government, labour would be the opposition and would probably come back in 2016 with an overall majority. i would still prefer an Fg labour coalition to take power for 15 yrs because i dont trust single party governments like the single party FF government that ruined ireland in the 70's and early 80's.

hiding behind a poster

Won't happen. FG have ruled this out again, and again, and again.

Future Irish Leader

Fianna Fail are spinning this because when theyre gone they will be gone for a very long time. They would accept junior partner with 3 partners at the moment because they would still have power to do things. The thought for fianna fail sitting on the opposition for 10-15 years is a nightmare havin to face an fg labour coalition wit 120 seats against theyre own 30. For me it will be a great sight seeing them in opposition again.

D

Deleted member 17573

The arguments for and against FF/FG as opposed to FG/Lab are so obvious that it would weary me to have to present them here again. But just one point - if it´s a choice of Taoiseach Enda by getting into bed with FF or Taoiseach Eamonn with FG as the minority party in a coalition with Labour, which will FG choose?

Future Irish Leader

The arguments for and against FF/FG as opposed to FG/Lab are so obvious that it would weary me to have to present them here again. But just one point - if it´s a choice of Taoiseach Enda by getting into bed with FF or Taoiseach Eamonn with FG as the minority party in a coalition with Labour, which will FG choose?
You wont outline them no ? Well thats because you dont have any reason. FG Labour would provide strong government with a strong majority as opposed to the current administration of fianna fail greens and indos who cannot provide strong and stable government. Are you honestly telling us to re elect fianna fail -greens for another term and clowen as taoiseach, weve gotten over fianna fail i suggest you do the same it makes sense no ?

holymoley

i presume even the greens will distance themselves working with ff again to try and get some of their support back from labour.

While ff/fg would make a lot of sense in theory given the lack of substantial difference between their policies, it's not going to happen now or in the near future. But then again, who would have thought sinn fein and the dup would have formed a government 20 years ago? Desperate times...

D

Deleted member 17573

You wont outline them no ? Well thats because you dont have any reason. FG Labour would provide strong government with a strong majority as opposed to the current administration of fianna fail greens and indos who cannot provide strong and stable government. Are you honestly telling us to re elect fianna fail -greens for another term and clowen as taoiseach, weve gotten over fianna fail i suggest you do the same it makes sense no ?
Oh it´s actually very simple - FF say 6 billion, FG say 6 billion, Labour say 4.5 billion. And I was referring to FF/FG, which is the topic of the thread, not FF/Greens.

Future Irish Leader

Oh it´s actually very simple - FF say 6 billion, FG say 6 billion, Labour say 4.5 billion. And I was referring to FF/FG, which is the topic of the thread, not FF/Greens.
Well its all different wen they get into government fg and fianna fail wouldnt last fianna fail would want control

D

Deleted member 17573

Well its all different wen they get into government fg and fianna fail wouldnt last fianna fail would want control
Can´t do better than that? No attempt to deal with the irreconcilable difference between FG and Lab on the deficit adjustment? Just grab power and all will be ok? Fine, but get off the mountain of moral ground first.

myksav

i presume even the greens will distance themselves working with ff again to try and get some of their support back from labour.

While ff/fg would make a lot of sense in theory given the lack of substantial difference between their policies, it's not going to happen now or in the near future. But then again, who would have thought sinn fein and the dup would have formed a government 20 years ago? Desperate times...
The Greens won't have need for distancing themselves from any other Party, they won't exist in the next Dáil.

Most Replies