• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

On this day 100 years the Amritsar massacre happened.

Talk Back

Anand said she suspected O’Dwyer might be Irish given his surname. “To Indians this might be surprising as they were all English as far as they were concerned,” she said.

“I was surprised to find so many Irish people were involved in the Raj and that he was an Irish Catholic born at a time when so many of his neighbours were suffering. I found all of that completely surprising and mesmerising. The Irish suffered from colonialism as much as anybody. “
Genuine affection
Dyer, she believes, had a genuine affection for India, the country of his birth, so long as the Indians knew their place. O’Dwyer, by contrast, “really did think of Indians as lesser and racially inferior”.

O’Dwyer represents the vanished tribe of Catholic Irish loyalists who believed as fervently in the British Empire as the British themselves. Before the Easter Rising, he said Jesuit schools “prided themselves on the numbers they passed into the service of the Crown, in the army and the civil service”.
All uncle toms - west brit lickspittles are the bane of Ireland to this day.

former wesleyan

Where - or perhaps when - did you learn to speak english ? Lickspittle ? Is that to the left or right of running dog ?

Sweet Darling

I’m just reading up on him. Interesting story. His assassins words pretty powerful.

What he did reminds me of what happened in Derry. Will we see apologies for that in 100 years I wonder. As the British come more to terms with their history.
Britzi Generals that committed war crimes against civilians should, like their German equivalent never rest easy in their beds.

Sweet Darling

The Irish in the past played a large part in creating the British empire and administering it.
Even our nuns and priests followed the British army from country to country to destroy the culture and tribal ways with their white mans religion.
The same people were your decendants and country men.
Stop fooling yourself be pretending you are some sort of higher order of Irishman.
Own your history

Sweet Darling

Where - or perhaps when - did you learn to speak english ? Lickspittle ? Is that to the left or right of running dog ?
He read the word from his one and only history book he borrowed from the liberty in the thirties.
The fact he never returned it makes him think he's an "On the run"

Hillmanhunter1

The Brexiteers would have you believe that trade agreements with India and the rest of the Commonwealth will be a doddle because of "our shared history:.

It is however the same sort of history that a mugger and victim share. They may both have been present, but the experience and the memories are entirely different.

Pyewacket

The Brexiteers would have you believe that trade agreements with India and the rest of the Commonwealth will be a doddle because of "our shared history:.

It is however the same sort of history that a mugger and victim share. They may both have been present, but the experience and the memories are entirely different.
One of the Brexiteers, Jeremy Hunt, who also happens to Foreign Secretary, thinks his Chinese wife is Japanese, or that is what he has claimed in public on more than one occasion.

The hard Brexiteers like JRM aren't thinking of bog standard trade deals for goods and services, but turning the UK into a tax haven. And I assure you, funny money from India would be in there like a shot, whatever about Gandhi. Important not to romanticise any of these crooks.

Hillmanhunter1

One of the Brexiteers, Jeremy Hunt, who also happens to Foreign Secretary, thinks his Chinese wife is Japanese, or that is what he has claimed in public on more than one occasion.

The hard Brexiteers like JRM aren't thinking of bog standard trade deals for goods and services, but turning the UK into a tax haven. And I assure you, funny money from India would be in there like a shot, whatever about Gandhi. Important not to romanticise any of these crooks.
Not just a tax-haven, but money laundering too. London is already the place where much of the world's dirty money is washed clean, and the financier wing of the Brexit camp want to ramp that up, without any meddling from Brussels.

It may however be to the cost of London's more honorable financial sectors:

Trading slips away from London ahead of Brexit
Subscribe to read | Financial Times

Pyewacket

Not just a tax-haven, but money laundering too. London is already the place where much of the world's dirty money is washed clean, and the financier wing of the Brexit camp want to ramp that up, without any meddling from Brussels.

It may however be to the cost of London's more honorable financial sectors:

Trading slips away from London ahead of Brexit
Subscribe to read | Financial Times
EU financial transparency laws are what really bothers them. I actually trace a lot of this back to the US Magnitsky Act, now I think about it.

There is a certain mentality that is not remotely concerned with "honourable" trading, and it is alive and well in the Tory party. They are motivated by sheer personal greed. Hunt is a good example. As Health Secretary, before the Brexit Referendum, he was trying to privatise the NHS by the backdoor, working with giant US health conglomerates, so much for an extra 350 million a week for the NHS.

Talk Back

The Irish in the past played a large part in creating the British empire and administering it.
Even our nuns and priests followed the British army from country to country to destroy the culture and tribal ways with their white mans religion.
The same people were your decendants and country men.
Stop fooling yourself be pretending you are some sort of higher order of Irishman.
Own your history
Here fool - not in Ireland's name or the people of Ireland's name.

Fritzbox

1,500 hundred Indians were shot by British soldiers led by Colonel Reginald Dyer under the orders of the Lieutenant Governor of the Punjab Michael O'Dwyer (to our shame born in Tipperary).
British soldiers? None of them had ever been to Britain or Europe, I'd say. Millions of Indians served the British Empire during the Raj in a military or civilian capacity.

An hour after the meeting began as scheduled at 16:30, Colonel Dyer arrived at the Bagh with a group of ninety Sikh, Gurkha, Baluchi and Rajput soldiers from the 2nd/9th Gurkha Rifles, the 54th Sikhs and the 59th Sind Rifles .
Jallianwala Bagh massacre - Wikipedia

mangaire2

O’Dwyer represents the vanished tribe of Catholic Irish loyalists who believed as fervently in the British Empire as the British themselves. Before the Easter Rising, he said Jesuit schools “prided themselves on the numbers they passed into the service of the Crown, in the army and the civil service”.
"vanished tribe of Catholic Irish loyalists …"

""vanished", you say !!
nah - they haven't gone away.

Levellers

British soldiers? None of them had ever been to Britain or Europe, I'd say. Millions of Indians served the British Empire during the Raj in a military or civilian capacity.
Poor attempt at deflection. They were in the British Army.

McTell

Twitter
No
"vanished tribe of Catholic Irish loyalists …"

""vanished", you say !!
nah - they haven't gone away.

Y'see, the whole point of emancipation in 1829 was so that our middle class could get govt jobs and help them run the empire. Some of us were good at it, others dire.

They didn't know that a sovereign ireland was not far round the corner.