On this day: 12th of July 1998 - Three Quinn Brothers Murdered by Unionists

Fullforward

Looking through a Belfast newspaper this Morning I reviewed the coverage of the 12th "Celebrations" and questioned the narrative of this being a "Fun time for all" and remembered the other side of this "Cultural Event"

On the 12th of July 1998 three Brothers Jason, Richard and Mark Quinn were killed by the U.V.F. in a petrol bomb attack on their home in Ballymoney, County Antrim.

One man, Garfield Gilmour, was found guilty of murdering the three brothers 15 months later and sentenced to life imprisonment after admitting that he had driven three other men to the house to commit the fatal petrol-bombing. Although Gilmour named the three alleged killers, they were never charged due to a lack of concrete evidence.

Murdered for the crime of being Catholics. R.I.P.

[/IMG]

mr_anderson

Well if you want a United Ireland, you better be ready to embrace such 'cultural diversity'.

Fullforward

rainmaker

Administrator
Jesus Christ - how anyone involved in that could ever sleep at night again is just beyond me.

Utterly sickening atrocity that achieved nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Spirit Of Newgrange

The name "ballymoney" made me think of Arlene foster. 30 piece of silver and all that. The next few years will be difficult. TORIES with dup, the nasty party with the lunatic party.

HarshBuzz

On this day, 12th July 1972, republicans murdered:

Beattie, Paul (19) Protestant
Status: Civilian (Civ), Killed by: non-specific Republican group (REP)
Found shot in entry, off Churchill Park, Portadown, County Armagh.
12 July 1972
Poots, Colin (21) Protestant
Found shot by Flush River, off Springfield Road, Belfast.
Victimology is tiresome, isn't it?

Fullforward

On this day, 12th July 1972, republicans murdered:

Beattie, Paul (19) Protestant
Found shot in entry, off Churchill Park, Portadown, County Armagh.
12 July 1972
Poots, Colin (21) Protestant
Found shot by Flush River, off Springfield Road, Belfast.
Victimology is tiresome, isn't it?
You might want to start a thread on it.

By the way, the use of the term "Non-Specific Republican Group" and "Killed in Crossfire" generally mean that the Brits or Peelers did it.

Cellachán Chaisil

Jesus Christ - how anyone involved in that could ever sleep at night again is just beyond me.

The killer had his sentence reduced to manslaughter and was released in 2006.

GDPR

When these Martyrdoms happened the second PIRA ceasefire was almost a year old.

They had nothing to do with Separatism versus Unionism, or the Troubles as such, and everything to do with the evil of Orangism.

former wesleyan

Let's dig up a tragedy and score some points.

Erudite Caveman

Happened at the height of the Drumcree insanity. Between that and Omagh, it was a grim finale to the troubles. There is still a lot of unwinding of positions that needs to happen in the north, even more so on the PUL side these days, but thankfully things have receded from that sort of craziness and the likes of Holy Cross.

razorblade

RIP to the victims of this heinous crime and lets hope the scum who did this will eventually, be caught, charged and sent down to rot in a prison cell which they deserve.

Erudite Caveman

RIP to the victims of this heinous crime and lets hope the scum who did this will eventually, be caught, charged and sent down to rot in a prison cell which they deserve.
Or they might appear on telly and say they are very sorry in about another 25 years time.

GDPR

Let's dig up a tragedy and score some points.
It wasn't a "tragedy"- it was a gruesome Martyrdom, they were murdered in an incredibly brutal manner by people inspired by the Freemasonic (not Protestant as such) ideology of Orangism for simply being Catholic. The what is more than toleration, the friendliness, shown to "between the bridges" on this forum as well as the all the money the ROI State puts in to funding the Orange Order more than justifies this thread.

If it had been about an atrocity that happened during the Troubles I would be inclined to sympathize with your feelings there but it wasn't.

Last edited:

Glenshane4

I am pleasantly surprised to learn that YOU disapprove. After all, they were only Northern Ireland Catholics.

P.S. These three boys were pupils at a State school in which all their classmates were Prods. So much for those two Eire journalists who, just a few hours earlier on RTE, had, while discussing the pending Prod strut at Portadown, advocated integrated education for Northern Ireland.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies