On this day in Gibralter

clonard marxist

Website
www.irsp.ie
On this day in Gibraltar

From BBC (for the yaps who close down every republican history thread for copyright).
On this day, Ireland lost three of its finest to British imperialism on the occupied colony of Gibraltar.
Rest in Peace, Mairéad, Sean and Dan.

BBC - History - Three IRA members shot dead in Gibraltar

On a quiet Sunday afternoon in Gibraltar, the SAS shot dead three members of the Provisional IRA who were planning to bomb a military parade on the peninsula. They were unarmed.

'Operation Flavius' attracted much controversy, including allegations of a 'shoot-to-kill' policy. It began a period of 14 days that was to prove one the darkest of Northern Ireland's Troubles.

Last edited:

Erudite Caveman

BBC - History - Three IRA members shot dead in Gibraltar

On a quiet Sunday afternoon in Gibraltar, the SAS shot dead three members of the Provisional IRA who were planning to bomb a military parade on the peninsula. They were unarmed.

'Operation Flavius' attracted much controversy, including allegations of a 'shoot-to-kill' policy. It began a period of 14 days that was to prove one the darkest of Northern Ireland's Troubles.

Photo: IRA members fire a volley of shots for three comrades killed in Gibraltar (Pacemaker Press Intl)
Unarmed bombers.

Chuckle.

making waves

The assassination of the three IRA volunteers was a demonstration of the shoot to kill policy of the British state and set off a string of sectarian murders across the North.

Not alone were the British state forces responsible for the execution of three people without any trial or conviction - they were directly responsible for a significant number of deaths that flowed from these assassinations.

razorblade

They have never faced justice for that shameful day in Derry all those years ago.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
The assassination of the three IRA volunteers was a demonstration of the shoot to kill policy of the British state and set off a string of sectarian murders across the North.

Not alone were the British state forces responsible for the execution of three people without any trial or conviction - they were directly responsible for a significant number of deaths that flowed from these assassinations.
That may or may not be so, my objection is to the dead being called "three of Ireland's finest".

making waves

Self loathing? I quite like myself. I loathe and detest people who plant bombs in my name without my approval or that of the people I belong to.
And that justifies the execution of three unarmed people instead of arresting them and charging them with a crime (which the Brits could have done without any difficulty at the time) and then operating on the basis of normal legal procedures.

enuffisenuff

unarmed people murdered while planning to murder unarmed people..Id say that sounds fair enough...

Mushroom

National self-loathing quick off the mark today.
Don't be too hard on yourself. I'm pretty sure that if you had been born into a better educated and more progressive family you'd probably have turned out reasonably normal. So it's not really your fault.

BACKTOBASICS

Self loathing? I quite like myself. I loathe and detest people who plant bombs in my name without my approval or that of the people I belong to.

Get up the yard (to put far more politely than I should).

And what do you think of the Loyalists, RUC, and British Army agents who bombed Dublin and Monaghan in 1974 causing by far the biggest loss of life of the NI War?

OrderoftheDragon

They were an active service unit on a recon mission, how were the brits to know this wasn't the bomb run ?.......can't be complaining really.

InsideImDancing

They were an active service unit on a recon mission, how were the brits to know this wasn't the bomb run ?.......can't be complaining really.
It's not really a complaint. It's propaganda.

The IRA knew the risks. And didn't take many British/Loyalist prisoners.

tsarbomb

Its always sad for people to be killed when they were fighting for their country.

RIP

making waves

Eye witnesses gave evidence to the inquest that the three were shot without any warning, with hands up and one while lying on the ground.

There was no threat and the British forces executed the three people involved.

The attitude of the right-wing hacks on here demonstrates that when push comes to shove they don't believe in the rule of law - only in the use of law for political purposes to be dispensed with whenever they want to take out political opponents.

Furthermore - these executions led directly to a string of sectarian killings (including the killings of two British soldiers on the Anderstown Rord during the funeral of one of the victims of the Milltown cemetery attack) - and all these deaths were the direct result of the executions in Gibralter and the direct responsibility of the British state and the British state forces.

Fullforward

They were walking away from the town center and about to enter a checkpoint where they could have EASILY been arrested. The Brits KNEW they were unarmed and KNEW there was no bomb in the area. A big loss to the Republican,three brave volunteers. R.I.P.

clonard marxist

Website
www.irsp.ie

Get up the yard (to put far more politely than I should).
You loath and detest all who aspired to Freedom for Ireland, because adopting that cowardly attitude has provided a path of least resistance for you and your kind for generations now, to the detriment and shame of Ireland to boot.
I know your type well.

They were three of Ireland's finest imbued with a spirit that attracts the hatred of the quisling class whose children could simply never live up to it.

New Threads

Most Replies