• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

One dead after sword attack in London

Astral Peaks

One dead after sword attack and police gunfire, two more seriously injured.

Police are attending a shooting incident in Woolwich, south east
London, following earlier reports of an assault, Sky sources say.

Dozens of weapons and pools of blood could be seen on the ground in John
Wilson Street, where police were sent at around 2.20pm.

The immediate area has been shut down, with eyewitnesses describing the
incident on Twitter as "horrific".

On its Twitter account, the Metropolitan Police helicopter team called the
incident "serious".

Woolwich: 'Soldier Dead After Terror Attack'

UPDATE. 23.05.13

This incident has dominated most of the news cycle in Europe over the last 24 hours. In part because of the gruesome nature of the attack, but also because the attackers stayed on scene waiting for the Met to arrive and discussing the attack with passersby and an ITN news crew who happened to be in the area. One has been named as Michael Adebolajo and is believed to be a British citizen of Nigerian descent.
Both he and the other suspect in the Woolwich murder are thought to have converted to a radical form of Islam.

The local community in Woolwich have been quick to condemn the attack/murder, as has the Muslim Council of Great Britain.

Women prepare to lay flowers this morning near the scene of the soldier's murder in Woolwich, south-east London. Photograph: Luke MacGregor/Reuters

There has been some comment on this thread about the Met's response times to this incident, the following is an extract from a statement by Assistant Commissioner Simon Byrne:

14.20 "We first received a 999 call from the public at 14:20hrs stating a man was being attacked". Then "further 999 calls stated that the attackers were in possession of a gun"
14.24 Armed officers ordered to scene14.29 First unarmed officers arrive: "We had officers at the scene within 9 minutes of receiving that first 999 call."
14.34 "Firearms officers were there and dealing with the incident 10 minutes after they were assigned, 14 minutes after the first call to the Met."
Further update.....

Some may recall Mr Boya Dee's eyewitness reports yesterday?
He has some choice words to share today on media attempts to buy his story.

Apologies to all the news reporters i ignored (including you Jon Snow) but I really do not have anything else to say on the matter
Since the incident occurred, I've been offered up to £75k from media outlets for my story. I've turned them all down.
This story is not about ME And doesn't need to be sensationalised anymore by me selling my story for a few bucks
Finally, all u folk who gave out my number for a few hundred quid have officially been taken off my christmas card list! Boya D
Fair play to him. UPDATE:
A statement on the Ministry of Defence’s website said: “It is with great
sadness that the Ministry of Defence must announce that the soldier killed in
yesterday's incident in Woolwich, South East London, is believed to be Drummer
Lee Rigby of 2nd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers (attached to the
Regimental Recruiting Team in London)…

“An extremely popular and witty soldier, Drummer Rigby was a larger than life
personality within the Corps of Drums and was well known, liked and respected
across the Second Fusiliers. He was a passionate and life-long Manchester United
fan.

Last edited:

Astral Peaks

Reports on Twitter suggested a man was attacked in the street by two individuals
and this was followed by a police shooting. Too many to copy here.

drummed

Any evidence of foreigners being responsible? Unless you find some this is going nowhwere.

Astral Peaks

Any evidence of foreigners being responsible? Unless you find some this is going nowhwere.
If Twitter is anywhere close to accurate it sounds like police shot two people after they tried to behead someone…

Astral Peaks

According to some reports shots were heard following an alleged sword attack in the street close to the Royal Artillery Barracks.
It has been reported by an eyewitness that armed police opened fire on two suspects and shot them dead.

drummed

Sounds like foreign lads to me. Cancel all plans for the evening, this will run and run.

Astral Peaks

A group of women tried to protect the injured man as his attackers stood over him.

The attack took place outside a local primary school.

There are numerous reports on Twitter that the victim may have had a military background.

Twitter getting very active now.....

sport02

Yahoo! UK News ‏@YahooNewsUK 4m
A man wearing a Help for Heroes t-shirt was attacked with a machete-style knife, eyewitnesses said #woolwich

Astral Peaks

Sounds like foreign lads to me. Cancel all plans for the evening, this will run and run.
A Mr Boya Dee on Twitter seems to have seen it all happen:

The two black bredas run this white guy over over then hop out the car and start chopping mans head off with machete!!

People were asking whyyy whyyy they were just saying we've had enough! They looked like they were on sutn! Then they start waving a recolver
The first guy goes for the female fed with the machete and she not even ramping she took man out like robocop never seen nutn like it
https://twitter.com/BOYADEE

mctree

This from the dailymail

'Luke Huseyin, 32, who lives in a block of flats on John Wilson Street, Woolwich, close to where the incident happened said he watched two men murder a man before being shot.

He said: 'I was at home and heard a big bang. I looked out of the window and saw a car had crashed.

'It was a blue Vauxhall. Then two black guys got out of the car dragging a white guy across the road towards the wall.

'One of the guys had a knife that looked about a foot long and a machete and the other bloke had a gun.
'They started slashing him up with the knife and hitting him in the stomach with the machete.
'I don't think it took long before he was dead. There were people passing by who were screaming and running away. I've never seen anything like it.'

bob3344

Thomas contacted the BBC. He was at the scene. This is what he said: "I got there minutes after it happened because you could hear gun shots from Woolwich high street, basically two men carried out an axe attack on a young army cadet walking along the street, by the looks of things the police responded and then shot them in front of the public, at the same time I couldn't really tell if the cadet was fatally or not hurt as police were crowded around him."
BBC News - LIVE: Police attend Woolwich 'attack'

sport02

Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak 2m
Update - Greenwich & Woolwich MP Nick Raynsford: one man, believed to have been a serving solider, is dead

Astral Peaks

Put on the popcorn folks, this is going to get very messy. From what I am reading on Twitter, it seems very much a random attack. Could be wrong......

Two black men executed a white male wearing a "Help for Heroes" tshirt right outside Woolwich barracks?

Astral Peaks

Both men subsequently shot, at least one by a female police officer.