• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

One final trip to the sky at night: Patrick Moore dead at 89

The Owl

He was a fascinating teacher. Loved listening to him, to his obvious love of his subject. A real gentleman.

bob3367

Ah that is sad, but @89 its a good innings.

Great show, remember him explaining where to look for Halleys comet, took the scope and there it was.....

Tea Shark

Ah that is sad, but @89 its a good innings.

Great show, remember him explaining where to look for Halleys comet, took the scope and there it was.....
I remember that.

RIP

Heligoland

Whenever someone famous dies in England now, I reckon the BBC get out their file from the 1970's and wonder whether or not to hold back on the tributes.

Ramon Mercadar

He has Sailed Beyond The Sunset.

R.I.P.

sic transit

RIP. Always fascinating and The Sky at Night due to its timetabling and conversations was surreal at times.

I was watching the latest Sky at Night on BBC4 late last night. They were talking mostly about the lunar landings and showed an old clip of Moore interviewing the last man to walk on the Moon, who talked of the importance of Moore's own lunar maps in guiding them.

At the end of the show, Moore spoke of next month's show, and said that he'd be giving advice on buying and setting up telescopes. I looked at him and i thought to myself 'It's getting to the point that I'm not sure he can go on telling people what he'll be introducing next month'.

It seems that about the time I was thinking that, he had died.

His life story is remarkable. He never married after his fiancée was killed in German bombing while he was away in the RAF. He never forgave the Germans. Some of his views later in life were a little reactionary, but quite common for his generation. But he was an extraordinarily decent man too. And nothing needs to be said about his brilliance as an astronomer, nor his extraordinary success in popularizing astronomy on television.

The Lord have mercy on his soul.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Whenever someone famous dies in England now, I reckon the BBC get out their
file from the 1970's and wonder whether or not to hold back on the tributes.
Moore preferred looking at things older than him

Last edited:

Ryan Tubbs

RIP.

Sad news, but it must come as a relief in a way. He had clearly been in utterly appalling health for the last 2/3 years of his life. It was almost cruel that he still appeared on "The Sky at Night" over the last 12 months, when he was virtually a vegetable sitting in the corner of the studio, unable to even contribute to the discussions. I thought that was cruel and unseemly, even if it was his own wish to be there.

RIP.

Sad news, but it must come as a relief in a way. He had clearly been in utterly appalling health for the last 2/3 years of his life. It was almost cruel that he still appeared on "The Sky at Night" over the last 12 months, when he was virtually a vegetable sitting in the corner of the studio, unable to even contribute to the discussions. I thought that was cruel and unseemly, even if it was his own wish to be there.
Not at all - he was contributing right up until the end - and they facilitated him massively by doing it from his own home. The latest episode was only last night and he was interviewing and discussing quite intelligibly (albeit in recent times he was a little slurred). He was certainly no 'vegetable in the corner' - not in the least.

ShoutingIsLeadership

RIP.

You make it sound like he belonged in Moore Street

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies