One in 11 prisoners in UK are ex Brit forces

Buckshee

One in 11 prisoners serving time in UK jails is a former member of the armed forces, a new report reveals. More than 8,000 veterans are behind bars. So doesn't it just show the kind of Jeremy Kyle show type of scummer who joins the British army ?

Thousands of war veterans locked in British prisons - Telegraph
Says the man with Slab Murphy as his handle!

What you could argue is that the socio-economic background of a lot of enlisted members in the UK Armed Forces is similar to background of many who end up in prison. When servicemen leave the Army it is plausible that a lot of them return to environments where criminality is pervasive. The loss of structure and discipline they had in the services might lead them down the wrong path.

But I suspect that's not the angle you going for?

All together now..."Some say the devil is dead...."

iartaoiseach

What you could argue is that the socio-economic background of a lot of enlisted members in the UK Armed Forces is similar to background of many who end up in prison. When servicemen leave the Army it is plausible that a lot of them return to environments where criminality is pervasive. The loss of structure and discipline they had in the services might lead them down the wrong path.

he also ignores the effect that being a combatant in a war zone has on most peoples mental and physical health. how many vietnam vets ended up in the prison system in the US due to the effects of their war experience. I would also think that when soldiers are involved in unpopular wars like vietnam and iraq/afghanistan they suffer even more alienation when they return home hence increasing the likelihood of them ending up in prison. if anything this is a damning indictment of the treatment that soldiers get from ungrateful politicians when they have done their dirty work for them.

SlabMurphy

Website
www.dublin.ie

Once a scummer always a scummer. The British army have a notorious reputation throughout the world, they have always been made up of the dregs on British society. Indeed a lot more of them should be in prison if their was a proper investigation of their thuggery in Iraq and Afghanistan :mad:

eoghanacht

"Last week the MoD announced that eighteen sailors face being thrown out of the Royal Navy after they tested positive for cocaine on a warship which has been used to combat drug smuggling"

cry freedom

he also ignores the effect that being a combatant in a war zone has on most peoples mental and physical health. how many vietnam vets ended up in the prison system in the US due to the effects of their war experience. I would also think that when soldiers are involved in unpopular wars like vietnam and iraq/afghanistan they suffer even more alienation when they return home hence increasing the likelihood of them ending up in prison. if anything this is a damning indictment of the treatment that soldiers get from ungrateful politicians when they have done their dirty work for them.
Plus 1.
I know that I won't win many friends for saying this but I think that pound for pound the british squaddie is the best in the world. [Outside Isreal, that is!] Their lords and masters should look after them better when their time is served.

SevenStars

One in 11 prisoners serving time in UK jails is a former member of the armed forces, a new report reveals. More than 8,000 veterans are behind bars. So doesn't it just show the kind of Jeremy Kyle show type of scummer who joins the British army ?

Thousands of war veterans locked in British prisons - Telegraph
Im surprised that figure isnt higher.

An English person once told me that the BA was for psychopaths to stupid for criminal gangs to deal with.

iartaoiseach

"Last week the MoD announced that eighteen sailors face being thrown out of the Royal Navy after they tested positive for cocaine on a warship which has been used to combat drug smuggling"
what a scoop that is for you. you mean some people in the armed forces might be prone to a bit of corruption? sure the dail jacks was found to be covered in the stuff ffs. what does that prove. I'm sure that there are police officers in this and other countries that help themselves to some contraband. it doesn't mean that the whole lot are at it.

Portstewart

Once a scummer always a scummer. The British army have a notorious reputation throughout the world, they have always been made up of the dregs on British society. Indeed a lot more of them should be in prison if their was a proper investigation of their thuggery in Iraq and Afghanistan :mad:
How touching your concern for the people of Afghanistan and Iraq, and if the British army weren't involved I'm sure you'd still be getting all worked up and cross about it. :rolleyes:

SlabMurphy

Website
www.dublin.ie
Im surprised that figure isnt higher.

An English person once told me that the BA was for psychopaths to stupid for criminal gangs to deal with.
I think BNP rejects is also a good description SevenStars.

eoghanacht

what a scoop that is for you. you mean some people in the armed forces might be prone to a bit of corruption? sure the dail jacks was found to be covered in the stuff ffs. what does that prove. I'm sure that there are police officers in this and other countries that help themselves to some contraband. it doesn't mean that the whole lot are at it.
:):):)

SevenStars

A very serious issue is the fact that social workers over in England put pressure on very vunerable 16 and 17 year old to sign up in the Army which usually ends f*cking them up more. The BA is a very sick institution.

Portstewart

A very serious issue is the fact that social workers over in England put pressure on very vunerable 16 and 17 year old to sign up in the Army which usually ends f*cking them up more. The BA is a very sick institution.
That's a fascinating story, have you a link or anything?

iartaoiseach

Plus 1.
I know that I won't win many friends for saying this but I think that pound for pound the british squaddie is the best in the world. [Outside Isreal, that is!] Their lords and masters should look after them better when their time is served.
I reckon that anyone who is brave or stupid enough to go and volunteer to get shot at on their spineless politicians behalf should at least not have to queue for access to the NHS for instance. or that the local council would not object to planning permission for a guy who lost his legs in a bombing to build a wheelchair friendly home. with friends like those who needs the taliban. I'm not getting into the right or wrong of the war but these people are rightly or wrongly putting themselves in harms way for their country and I would expect that country to at least help them out afterwards.

Old Mr Grouser

One in 11 prisoners serving time in UK jails is a former member of the armed forces, a new report reveals.

More than 8,000 veterans are behind bars.
Disgraceful and disgusting.

The British Government are throwing money down the drain. Those 8,000 should be put back in uniform and sent out to Afghanistan.

Sending someone soldiering is a lot cheaper than keeping them in prison.

D

Deleted member 17573

Never in the history of P.ie have so many inaccuracies appeared in one short post by one lone individual.:roll:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies