One in five on sickness benefit is faking: Irish Daily Mail

O

Oscurito

One in five on sickness pay is faking: Irish Daily Mail

Today's Irish Daily Mail claims to be able to reveal that 20% of people on sickness pay is actually fit to work. They claim that medical experts have been able to determine this.

I only have access to the newspaper's front page (via their Twitter account) so I have no idea what further details are in the inside pages.

If anyone has bought a copy of the newspaper, please enlighten us.

Last edited:

Lara2

That young one that Harry's dating looks very like his sister-in-law, Pippa Middleton.

bonkers

Today's Irish Daily Mail claims to be able to reveal that 20% of people on sickness benefit is actually fit to work. They claim that medical experts have been able to determine this which gives rise to the question: are they still on sickness benefit. If not, there's no problem and no story. If so, then why?

I only have access to the newspaper's front page (via their Twitter account) so I have no idea what further details are in the inside pages.

If anyone has bought a copy of the newspaper, please enlighten us.

The Daily Heil have been at this for years in the UK.

Tawdy

Shít paper with shít all news tries to make up shít

Who, I mean who in their right mind buys this shít of a rag in the first place ?

corporal punishment

They we're handing it out free before christmas in Cork City centre. I told the girl that I'd already hit my quota for being offended that day so no thanks.

O

Oscurito

They we're handing it out free before christmas in Cork City centre. I told the girl that I'd already hit my quota for being offended that day so no thanks.
Stopped reading at the words 'Daily Mail'.
Shít paper with shít all news tries to make up shít

Who, I mean who in their right mind buys this shít of a rag in the first place ?
Ye're driving Daily Mail readers into the closet.

tsarbomb

I'm not a fan of the Daily Mail but this figure wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. It's what tends to happen when you have one of the most generous welfare systems on earth.

O

Oscurito

I'm not a fan of the Daily Mail but this figure wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. It's what tends to happen when you have one of the most generous welfare systems on earth.
According to this link, there is a medical assessment that recipients must attend.
Illness Benefit

(I'm assuming that "sickness benefit" and "illness benefit" are the same thing...?)

GDPR

On cultural issues the English Daily Mail is brilliant but the Irish edition tends to edit a lot of the good stuff out I presume to fit in with Liberal hegemony here. However on economic issues they sometimes be incredibly creepy.

cabledude

Yes, the Daily Mail is a fire lighter, but, they are onto something here.

How many of you can genuinely say that you don't know of at least 1 person who has been on illness benefit most of their adult life. I know a lad who is 67 years of age. He hasn't worked since he was 42 when he had a heart attack. He went out on illness benefit at that point and stayed on it. I'm sure there are thousands of such cases.

On another related point, a very high proportion of the travelling community are on long term illness benefit.

constitutionus

havent read the article beyond what i can discern from the OPs image but are ya sure theyre talking about sickeness benefit ?

seems to be saying sick pay .

which wouild seem on the ball to me. i know loads of lads that called in sick from a bender, or just wanted a duvet day, and got paid for it from their employer.

the bit i can make out from the article seems to be more about business heads moaning about what its costing them.

blokesbloke

I wonder how they calculated such a precise figure?

Have they passed on the evidence to the relevant authorities?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies