• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

One of the main Syrian rebel groups pledges loyalty to al Qaeda- what now for The West ?

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
As the title says:
BBC News - Syria crisis: Al-Nusra pledges allegiance to al-Qaeda

The Arab Spring is turning into a right mess, and Islamic jihadists are probably more active than any time since 9/11

Is American foreign policy correct/effective at dealing with jihadism ? Should Ireland be concerned / what action can we take ?

Personally I think that US foreign policy needs to be questioned, and I'd favour even more intervention (backed up with economic development). I also think Ireland should get involved , even to the extent of giving up our neutrality.

cYp

Last edited:

R3volution_R3ady

America shouldn't be involved at all...that's what led to this mess in the first place ffs

Bonsai Experiment

As the title says:

The Arab Spring is turning into a right mess, and Islamic jihadists are probably more active than any time since 9/11

Is American foreign policy correct/effective at dealing with jihadism ? Should Ireland be concerned / what action can we take ?
If by "dealing with" you mean promoting , funding and expanding , then yes , its very effective. Thank god your not in charge of Irish Foreign policy that you would readily consign Irish soldiers and money to killing kids in the Middle East.

Levellers

The USA have been idiotically arming, funding and training Islamic fundamentalists since the invasion of Afghanistan.

Lain2016

As the title says:

Personally I think that US foreign policy needs to be questioned, and I'd favour even more intervention (backed up with economic development). I also think Ireland should get involved , even to the extent of giving up our neutrality.

cYp

Last edited:

Collegebhoy

Twitter
n/a
meh...not really surpised tbh.... Wonder how this will effect reporting of the conflict, will these boyos now be labelled terrorists, which Syria always claimed they were, or are they still going to be labelled rebels/freedom fighters.

Ren84

This was why the US was so hesitant to get involved in the first place, despite wingnuts like John McCain insisting the rebels be armed. While there are many genuine secular rebel groups operating in Syria there is still the danger that arming these non jihadis will see weapons ending up in the hands of the Al-Nusra front. Time to walk away from the whole Arab Spring. Let the Arabs sort themselves out, no need for us to involve ourselves any longer.

Ren84

meh...not really surpised tbh.... Wonder how this will effect reporting of the conflict, will these boyos now be labelled terrorists, which Syria always claimed they were, or are they still going to be labelled rebels/freedom fighters.
There are legitimate armed groups fighting for the freedom of Syria. Unfortunately it is likely these secularists will be swept away in any post Assad Syria, like what we've seen in Egypt and Libya.

G

Gimpanzee

If by "dealing with" you mean promoting , funding and expanding , then yes , its very effective. Thank god your not in charge of Irish Foreign policy that you would readily consign Irish soldiers and money to killing kids in the Middle East.
You're a fanboy for the Irish guys who are over there already 'freedom fighting' with the rebels aren't you?

R3volution_R3ady

The USA have been idiotically arming, funding and training Islamic fundamentalists since the invasion of Afghanistan.
The US have been arming, funding and training most of their future enemies for decades now.

Hitler was the best thing since sliced bread we were led to believe. And so was Sadam Hussain and so was bin Laden. So was Manuel Noriega, Ghadaffi, Pinochet, and just about every other despot throughout history. They even tried to force a dictator on the Iranian people by relieving them of their democratically elected leader.

And yet the OP is made out to put forth an argument that even more intervention is necessary but that that intervention need not come in the form of the US, but also..Ireland. The mother that loses her son to interventional foreign policies in the morning becomes a suicide bomber in the afternoon! Leave these people alone for crying out loud.

james toney

No surprise in a Jihadist group siding with Al Qaeda.
So Assad is right when he says they are fighting terrorists?

parentheses

As the title says:

cYp
Crazy Sunni Islamists always act in the interests of the western power elites. So this announcement will change nothing. The Anglo-Americans will persist with the campaign of regime change

9/11 enabled the agenda of invading Iraq to be fulfilled.

Even an atrocity like Beslan was in Anglo-American interests.

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
As the title says:

No action should be taken, except to bolster the Syrian transitional government, which is not Al Nusra. What post Assad Syrian army can exist claiming allegiance to a foreigner like Al Quedas leader? Al Nusra may be many things, but chiefly it is a supplier of arms to Syrian opposition volunteers. How many of them will want to impose an Islamist Taliban style dictatorship on their fellow country men once Assad is overthrown? Not many I think, which is why Al Nusra's political influence should not be over rated. The move highlighted in this thread only curtails Al Nusra's options, it does not strenghten them.

cYp
Syria, and indeed almost the entire Arab spring cannot be viewed through the prism of Western interests, or as it is sometimes done, niche interests in the west. The direct confrontation between Sunni and Shia is already a reality elsewhere, and was a dimension to middle eastern politics well before 9/11 or the modern establishment of Isreal. Now that schism is being exposed (again) in the raw, it makes US and western avoidence of it all the more necessary. The US should encourage democracy and pay for development, but there must be strict conditions and it should be very clear who they are dealing with.

Bonsai Experiment

You're a fanboy for the Irish guys who are over there already 'freedom fighting' with the rebels aren't you?
No I'm not. I have to say that I havent got a fncking clue what the hell is going on in Syria except everyone is lying. Its a low point in Human social evolution no matter what way you look at it.

gijoe

As the title says:

cYp
The West's support for the rebels was always about it sticking one on Assad's Syrian allies. However, what they might get in return might well turn out to much worse.

darkhorse

As the title says:

cYp
The West need to become involved in Syria for humanitarian reasons and not just because of Al Qaeda. At least 70,000 have been killed and over 1m refugees have been forced out of their homes into camps in Turkey, Jordan, etc -plus the devastation to the countries infrastructure will cost billions to repair. Everyone agrees that Assad will be toppled eventually and so a military intervention by the West now can only save lives and much suffering. Britain and France need to impose a no fly zone as was done in Liyba and speed up the demise of this despotic regime - Obama, being too preoccupied apologising for US involvement in Iraq and Afganistan, is unlikely to become involved.

james5001

The West need to become involved in Syria for humanitarian reasons and not just because of Al Qaeda. At least 70,000 have been killed and over 1m refugees have been forced out of their homes into camps in Turkey, Jordan, etc -plus the devastation to the countries infrastructure will cost billions to repair. Everyone agrees that Assad will be toppled eventually and so a military intervention by the West now can only save lives and much suffering. Britain and France need to impose a no fly zone as was done in Liyba and speed up the demise of this despotic regime - Obama, being too preoccupied apologising for US involvement in Iraq and Afganistan, is unlikely to become involved.
People were saying the same about Saddam.

james5001

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies