One quarter of Irish children can't kick a football properly

Patslatt1

In addition to the linked article, a recent Newstalk Radio interview of health experts raised the alarm about the lack of development of children's motor skills from lack of exercise. The experts estimated that children need an hour of exercise a day, about double the requirement of adults for health and fitness. About one quarter of Irish children can't kick a ball or throw a ball properly. No doubt they will experience subpar health in adult life and a reduced life expectancy.
Parents,and to a lesser extent schools, are to blame for this. Parents who self indulgently assume the schools are providing exercise opportunities neglect sufficient exercise for their children due to time pressures from long commutes to work and other reasons. Many schools have tight schedules that allow for little exercise and the number of teachers volunteering to provide sports and exercise is insufficient. That suggests the government should fund exercise facilities where needed instead of postponing action indefinitely. The lowest cost facilities are likely to be gyms for PT where large numbers of children can exercise in close quarters in a limited space. Basketball courts also take up limited space.
A change in family lifestyle might also be considered to prioritise time spent with children. Instead of a long commute from a distant single family home in the country, maybe Irish families should emulate German families and live in apartments reasonably close to work. Or if they desperately want a single family house, maybe they should move to cities where houses are affordable and commutes are short, such as Limerick or Waterford.

Sync

. About one quarter of Irish children can't kick a ball or throw a ball properly
And that’s bad, but I really don’t understand why we keep picking those kids for the international soccer team.

CatullusV

In addition to the linked article, a recent Newstalk Radio interview of health experts raised the alarm about the lack of development of children's motor skills from lack of exercise. The experts estimated that children need an hour of exercise a day, about double the requirement of adults for health and fitness. About one quarter of Irish children can't kick a ball or throw a ball properly. No doubt they will experience subpar health in adult life and a reduced life expectancy.
Parents,and to a lesser extent schools, are to blame for this. Parents who self indulgently assume the schools are providing exercise opportunities neglect sufficient exercise for their children due to time pressures from long commutes to work and other reasons. Many schools have tight schedules that allow for little exercise and the number of teachers volunteering to provide sports and exercise is insufficient. That suggests the government should fund exercise facilities where needed instead of postponing action indefinitely. The lowest cost facilities are likely to be gyms for PT where large numbers of children can exercise in close quarters in a limited space. Basketball courts also take up limited space.
A change in family lifestyle might also be considered to prioritise time spent with children. Instead of a long commute from a distant single family home in the country, maybe Irish families should emulate German families and live in apartments reasonably close to work. Or if they desperately want a single family house, maybe they should move to cities where houses are affordable and commutes are short, such as Limerick or Waterford.
Do you have kids ?

ShoutingIsLeadership

You blamed the parents when you had a chance to blame public servants?

Are you one of the voters who is switching from FG to the shinners?

papaquebec

And that’s bad, but I really don’t understand why we keep picking those kids for the international soccer team.
Hahahaha!!!

But Keiran from Killinaskully Wanderers and Brendan from Ballykissangel United aren't getting picked for the international soccer team, are they?

gijoe

When you factor in girls and the gay kids you would think it would be a lot more.
I debated for a while whether I should either like or report that post. I did think I would get a few cheap likes if I virtue signalled with a report! :p

Betson

I debated for a while whether I should either like or report that post. I did think I would get a few cheap likes if I virtue signalled with a report! :p
As Ricky Gervais says , they are only jokes.

Ardillaun

How far back do we have reliable data on kicking footballs? I remember a lot of lads who weren’t brilliant at rugby or hurling in my time - none of that dangerously effeminate soccer carry-on during school hours for us, of course - and I honestly can’t tell you yet what the girls were up to when we were knocking lumps out of each other. Afterwards, covered in mud, we had a single tap dispensing suitably frigid water to clean ourselves with before the next class. Those were the days.

I don‘t see why crucial life skills can’t be given enough attention at school. How to move, what to eat - these help to determine how long, and how well, we live. Beyond maths and English, what could be a more pressing priority for schools to teach? Saying the family should do all this misses the point that the family is often not in charge, or even intact, like it used to be. One new source of authority is the smartphone that seeks to paralyze its users and keep them passively viewing for hours. Let’s get real here.

Last edited:

Half Nelson

I'm thinking of a young fella who says soccer. Great with his feet, but ask him to catch a ball and all he can do is slap it down.

Emily Davison

Parents,and to a lesser extent schools, are to blame for this.
The problem is parents. You mentioned building sporting infrastructure. But that alone will not solve the problem. In any case there are fine GAA pitches all over the country already. And they are basically free for the children. So money and infrastructure are not really the problem. It's going to get worse, because those kids of today who are doing no sports are going to be obese too and the next generation will be even worse.

omgsquared

They may not know how to kick a ball, their motor skills are poor , they have less life experiences than kids of similar age generations age .... But they do know that gender is non binary, that the world is doomed unless we listen to Greta, that trump must be bad, that there is a patriarchy, that the Catholic church is responsible for all of the things that are wrong in the country etc etc , Priorities.. aaaaaaaagh

stanley

They may not know how to kick a ball, their motor skills are poor , they have less life experiences than kids of similar age generations age .... But they do know that gender is non binary, that the world is doomed unless we listen to Greta, that trump must be bad, that there is a patriarchy, that the Catholic church is responsible for all of the things that are wrong in the country etc etc , Priorities.. aaaaaaaagh
Plus football is needed so the likes of Del Boy and his missus can have the lifestyle they crave and parade it to all and sundry around the country but particularly in Dublin, then use football's money to hide behind legal agreements and walk away sticking two fingers up at everybody.

ShoutingIsLeadership

The problem is parents. You mentioned building sporting infrastructure. But that alone will not solve the problem. In any case there are fine GAA pitches all over the country already. And they are basically free for the children. So money and infrastructure are not really the problem. It's going to get worse, because those kids of today who are doing no sports are going to be obese too and the next generation will be even worse.
Parents are now faced with dropping their children at childminders, where they stay indoors for maybe 12 hours, before being collected and brought home to bed. Many of the parents are exhausted just trying to keep up with putting a roof over the heads of the children...in this context,it is more challenging to raise well rounded children. Most parents try to be the best for their children that they can, so I think it would be more instructive for us to look at what is going on in wider society than in family units.

Of course, the real comparison between now and then is not to do with motor skills, but to compare how many children people are having now compared to historically. That's the real story...small families because of economic pressures. The never-borns will never throw or catch or run.

And that's not an abortion point, before somebody tries to twist my point!

Patslatt1

When you factor in girls and the gay kids you would think it would be a lot more.
Schools may need funding for phy ed instructors,possibly part timers.

Patslatt1

What's the Irish for couch potatoes?

Patslatt1

The unprecedented level of fires in Australia and in Brazil's rain forests and Siberian forests should be ignored then?

Patslatt1

Parents are now faced with dropping their children at childminders, where they stay indoors for maybe 12 hours, before being collected and brought home to bed. Many of the parents are exhausted just trying to keep up with putting a roof over the heads of the children...in this context,it is more challenging to raise well rounded children. Most parents try to be the best for their children that they can, so I think it would be more instructive for us to look at what is going on in wider society than in family units.

Of course, the real comparison between now and then is not to do with motor skills, but to compare how many children people are having now compared to historically. That's the real story...small families because of economic pressures. The never-borns will never throw or catch or run.

And that's not an abortion point, before somebody tries to twist my point!
If parents are exhausted by the cost of living, that is down to housing cost because food and clothing take only a small share of income compared to past generations. The obvious solution is to move to cities where housing is cheap, Waterford, Sligo, Limerick etc. Commuting time is also far less in those cities than in Dublin which is one of the worst in Europe for traffic congestion.

Popular Threads

Most Replies