• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

One Way Ticket to Mars Anyone?

ruserious

Applicants sought for one-way flight to Mars - RTÉ News

So this private company in the Netherlands is looking for volunteers to travel on a one way ticket to Mars in 2023. Already, different sources put applicants at between 10,000 and 40,000.

The voyage will send two males and two females in the first mission and the same again every two years thereafter.

They will become self sufficient in a lab, growing their own food. They will live ''normal'' lives inside the lab but will need to dawn a suit if venturing out into the red planet itself.

It would be some experience but harrowing to think that you are stuck up there.

It is hoped the colony will eventually reach 80k people and that you can buy a ticket to live there for .5million$ in years to come.

I wonder what the temptations to procreate will be amongst the first voyagers if they are capable of reproducing. Having the first child not born on earth...

The experience has been dubbed by some as a radical big brother where we will all be able to view their voyage and subsequent experience of living on the red planet. My worry is, after we get bored of it, they are stuck there. :shock2:

Well, would anyone consider going?

controller

Volunteer ex-girlfriends / ex-boyfriends, horrible bosses etc. You'll never see them again......

ruserious

Volunteer ex-girlfriends / ex-boyfriends, horrible bosses etc. You'll never see them again......
Or...they would become global icons representing the finest of human endeavour while you sit at home, sulking :p

friendlyfire

No way man..... them fecking klingons and Ming the Merciless

ah jayz... time warp...... that's the Dail!

Tea Party Patriot

It was only going to be a matter of time before someone would think of trying it. The big thing though will be how to access a constant supply of water and what natural resources will the colony be able to utilise (and how? given the conditions) when it needs to expand.

It is interesting to see they are going to build the first part of the settlement using robots.

I would have concerns that the colony would need constant back up from earth and wouldn't be self financing as the distance is currently too great to make transporting valuable metals or minerals back to earth.

Last edited:

Analyzer

Can we send Gimmemore ?

Goats

The planet appears to be so terraformable that there would be no need to send a living person there. A corpse would suffice and let nature run its course.

IvoShandor

Twitter
yes
Could we send Bertie? Too bad about the suffering of the other voyagers....but sure if they snapped and threw him out the airlock what could we do about it.

Spanner Island

4 people for year 1
8 people for year 2
12 people for year 3

How long do you reckon it would be until we saw our first mental breakdown and/or murder in space?

And nowhere for them to go... :shock:

Anyone who applies for this will need to be a bit f***in' nuts in the first place...

B

Boggle

You'd be tempted. The first to go will have the greatest opportunities you would imagine and you wonder whether it would be worth it.

I don't like the idea of living on a world owned and run at the discretion of a private company though.
They'll be turning off the air to deal with strikes in 4 years time up there.

Nebuchadnezzar

I think this is a much more interesting and worthwhile idea that Denis Titov's flyby plan. I'd imagine that living out ones life and dying as a pioneer on Mars would be a lot more meaningful than many existences on earth. I'd go except for my bad knee:)

Last edited:

DuineEile

It is a wonderful idea.

Unfortunately there type of people who make good reality TV, and the type of people who make good explorer astronauts are not the same.

Either a very boring reality TV show, or Jade Goody making critical engineering decisions on a spacecraft.

D

Spanner Island

It was only going to be a matter of time before someone would think of trying it. The big thing though will be how to access a constant supply of water and what natural resources will the colony be able to utilise (and how? given the conditions) when it needs to expand.

It is interesting to see they are going to build the first part of the settlement using robots.

I would have concerns that the colony would need constant back up from earth and wouldn't be self financing as the distance is currently too great to make transporting valuable metals or minerals back to earth.
That would be mad wouldn't it...

Use massive amounts of resources on Earth in order to enable the transporting back of precious metals etc.

A bit like Easter Island when they destroyed all their trees in order to move their statues around, which eventually led to them wiping themselves out due to the birds disappearing and there being no wood left to build boats for fishing etc...

They had loads of lovely statues... but unfortunately the statues were worse than useless for survival...

We'd end up with a world of a few rich gits with loads of gold and stuff while the planet itself would end up a polluted wasteland...

Sometimes I do think we're the dumbest species on this planet... a place where many seem to think vegetation and animals and resources are OURS to USE & ABUSE to our hearts content...

The only things human beings really need are food, water, air and shelter...

Everything else is superfluous bling...

B

Boggle

I think this is a much more interesting and worthwhile idea that Denis Tito's flyby plan. I'd imagine that living out ones life and dying as a pioneer on Mars would be a lot more meaningful than many existences on earth. I'd go except for my bad knee:)
Whats the gravity like on mars? Could be like having a brand new knee if it's low enough!
:)

Whats the gravity like on mars? Could be like having a brand new knee if it's low enough!
:)
About 38% of what we currently enjoy here.

Bill

I'll be too old, anyway living somewhere with no magnetic field would irk me.
gravity is about a third of earths for those interested

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies