O'Neill being challenged at Ard Fheis for SF Vice-presidency

the secretary

MLA John O'Dowd has confirmed that he intends to challenge SF Vice-president Michelle O'Neill at the coming Ard Fheis.
IMO as an outsider, Mr O'Dowd is a much better person for this position.
Mrs O'Neill seemed to be chosen from behind the scenes when there were more capable and able people within SF at the time.
She comes across as robotic and coached in many of her media appearances.
O'Dowd comes across as better informed and more personable.
Some think he hasn't a hope but fair play to him for doing this if it is genuine.
I wish him all the best. It would only help SF if he succeeds.

Catahualpa

Website
irelandinhistory.blogspot.com

MLA John O'Dowd has confirmed that he intends to challenge SF Vice-president Michelle O'Neill at the coming Ard Fheis.
Mrs O'Neill seemed to be chosen from behind the scenes when there were more capable and able people within SF at the time.
Some think he hasn't a hope but fair play to him for doing this if it is genuine.
Well he could hardly be any worse!

MON comes across as an Airhead who is handed a script to read out...

Mind U this fellow looks like a clone of Gerry! 🤪

Last edited:

midlander12

Never heard of him, but apparently he was Deputy First M for a month or so when McG was running for Pres in 2011.

The real question is, if O'Neill is being challenged in the North, why isn't MLMD being challenged over their infinitely worse performance in the South?

Catahualpa

Website
Never heard of him, but apparently he was Deputy First M for a month or so when McG was running for Pres in 2011.

The real question is, if O'Neill is being challenged in the North, why isn't MLMD being challenged over their infinitely worse performance in the South?
She cant really expect to survive the next General Election

- even Martin Ferris is abandoning ship.....🚣‍♂️

redneck

The big donation to S.F has saved MLMD. But I would expect John O Dowd to run Michelle O Neill very close. On twitter some Unionists have expressed preference for Mr O Dowd. Mr O Dowd looks very like Gerry Adams.
I expect a close run vote, and possibly if O Dowd wins, there might be some kind of Stormont agreement. Unfortunately for Michelle, she said she would not work with Arlene F, and that was not wise. Sláinte

McSlaggart

The big donation to S.F has saved MLMD. But I would expect John O Dowd to run Michelle O Neill very close. On twitter some Unionists have expressed preference for Mr O Dowd. Mr O Dowd looks very like Gerry Adams.
I expect a close run vote, and possibly if O Dowd wins, there might be some kind of Stormont agreement. Unfortunately for Michelle, she said she would not work with Arlene F, and that was not wise. Sláinte

Who do you know could work with Arlene F?

Catahualpa

Website

The big donation to S.F has saved MLMD

I think it may be an albatross around her neck! 🤪

Does anyone really believe that the old bloke who was a mechanic in London had this kind of dosh at his disposal?

More like he was holding someone else's Laundry Basket.....

the secretary

Good point

raetsel

Without an Irish Language Act I doubt it.

raetsel

Does anyone really believe that the old bloke who was a mechanic in London had this kind of dosh at his disposal?

More like he was holding someone else's Laundry Basket.....
Time will tell. I'd be very surprised if there weren't investigators scrutinising the deceased man's tax returns at the moment. It would be a very stupid way to launder money, because of the attention it would inevitably attract and the raised eyebrows.
But if the man was self employed it would be perfectly conceivable that he'd be capable of building up that sort of wealth. Even without it, many ordinary people in London have built up that level of assets in the form of property.

redneck

The donor came from a wealthy family. He had inherited a lot of the wealth. Apparently he stipulated that no money was to be given to the Sdlp. They are not as popular as the Mainstream Irish media make out.

raetsel

The donor came from a wealthy family. He had inherited a lot of the wealth. Apparently he stipulated that no money was to be given to the Sdlp. They are not as popular as the Mainstream Irish media make out.
Where did you hear that?

redneck

I don't know if the money was laundered or not. Hopefully an investigation will clear it up. But the man died in a care home, not a caravan. Howard Hughes , the eccentric billionaire died in near poverty. Is one example of a rich man not caring about his wealth. I am hoping anyway that the money/donation is ok.
On another level this is good news for Nationalist Ireland. As to me there is a need for investment in the Republican side of the conflict. There has been plenty of publicity imho for the Unionist side. Eg Belfast Telegraph, UTV, RTE current affairs, INM, Most Irish radio stations. Sláinte

raetsel

I don't know if the money was laundered or not. Hopefully an investigation will clear it up. But the man died in a care home, not a caravan. Howard Hughes , the eccentric billionaire died in near poverty. Is one example of a rich man not caring about his wealth. I am hoping anyway that the money/donation is ok.
When you don't have the full facts keep an open mind.
It's not beyond Sinn Fein to be recipients of dodgy money. But likewise there have been various cases of people dying in apparent poverty who had significant estates.
But if the deceased man had been declaring the income from these assets in his tax returns, it is a fairly safe bet that the money was legitimately acquired.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies