Online banking problems

Dame_Enda

For many months I have observed an issue with banking365. Some of my transactions disappear from the list, resulting in the balance shooting up. I spend on the basis of what it says the balance is. Then it suddenly updates the transactions some days later and I end up with unintentional overdrawls and am charged €5-€10 per overdrawal.

Anyone else experiencing this? What can be done to bring pressure to bear on BOI to resolve this? A lot of complaints on boards.ie about this too.

runwiththewind

Are you taking note of pending transactions?. Also any monies spent after closing on Friday will not appear until the following Mon or Tues.

Dame_Enda

Are you taking note of pending transactions?. Also any monies spent after closing on Friday will not appear until the following Mon or Tues.
The problem is that transactions are appearing - then disappearing - then appearing again days later for me. Stroke Politics on boards.ie started a thread on this kind of problem.

Man or Mouse

For many months I have observed an issue with banking365. Some of my transactions disappear from the list, resulting in the balance shooting up. I spend on the basis of what it says the balance is. Then it suddenly updates the transactions some days later and I end up with unintentional overdrawls and am charged €5-€10 per overdrawal.

Anyone else experiencing this? What can be done to bring pressure to bear on BOI to resolve this? A lot of complaints on boards.ie about this too.
Yep. have noticed that too. Hasn't effected me in the same way though as I keep a fairly high balance. What I have taken to doing is printing out the days transactions showing everything, especially if I have something unusual going out, then on the next business day, when some have disappeared, print again and take both into the bank. They correct it instantly at the service counter including any charges reversed with some mumbling under the breath going on. Nothing remotely like an explanation though.

You couldn't be up to them.

Dame_Enda

On 3rd May I paid my electricity bill online, and the amount went out on that day according to the immediately updated online account page.

But then suddenly on Friday or Saturday, the transaction disappeared and my bank balance went up by that amount.

Sick of this has been happening for months.

runwiththewind

On 3rd May I paid my electricity bill online, and the amount went out on that day according to the immediately updated online account page.

But then suddenly on Friday or Saturday, the transaction disappeared and my bank balance went up by that amount.

Pay your bills directly to your provider, either online or over the phone. Alternatively, the post office doesn't charge.

amist4

I don't think I have been down to my last notes since I was 15.

gatsbygirl20

What I have taken to doing is printing out the days transactions showing everything, especially if I have something unusual going out, then on the next business day, when some have disappeared, print again and take both into the bank. They correct it instantly at the service counter including any charges reversed with some mumbling under the breath going on. Nothing remotely like an explanation though.

You couldn't be up to them.
"They correct it instantly at the service counter"

Your bank still has a "service counter"?

With an actual human being behind it?

My bank has a series of machines.....no people.

If I have a question, or a complaint, or a problem with the machines, well, tough luck.

Phoning them takes a day. You finally get through to somebody in Limerick after an hour or so. That person asks you a series of security questions. After another hour they put you through to somebody else. That person says "I'm sorry, but we are unable to verify that account at this time. Please contact your branch"

Oh, back in the actual bank itself...there is I believe a cashier too, hidden somewhere. but you're not actually allowed to get money from her, or transfer any money, if it's more than two thousand Euro or something...

Anyway, whatever it is you want, you can't have it.

That's the motto.

GDPR

Join a Credit Union and deal with things that way. Seriously Banks are nasty.

eoghanacht

It's Putin.

From my angle, I'd view this as a very serious issue indeed. The integrity of customer data is the most critical aspect of a bank's system. My guess is that this is happening at the presentation level rather than in the actual databases concerned, but it is still very serious and indicative of a gross level of sloppiness at best.

I'd write to whatever contact you have asking for a complete explanation.

It really is unacceptable.

D

Deleted member 17573

I recognise the problem you describe, but I think it was resolved by BofI a few months ago. They now list "today's transactions and transactions in progress" separately from "completed transactions" at the top of the statement - I presume this new category (which, as you say, previously just went missing for a day or two) consists of transactions not yet validated or otherwise fully processed. Having said that, I did notice one small transaction a week or so ago that simply went the old route and went completely missing for a few days. But this seemed to be an exception and is no longer the norm.

There is another issue that people going overseas and relying solely on their ATM cards for funds should be aware of - it not infrequently happens that a withdrawal can fail while nearing the end of the processing of the request as a result of a machine malfunction, and this can sometimes be recorded as a withdrawal in ones account back home. The difficulty arises if you have hit your withdrawal limit or are simply low in funds, in which case you can be left without any cash until the situation is rectified. So my advice would be to never let your cash run out and never withdraw up your limit in one transaction - if your daily limit is €500 and you have a failed attempt to withdraw this amount you will be left without cash for at least a day, whereas if you attempt to withdraw less than the €500 and the transaction fails you have another opportunity to withdraw the balance of your limit.

Dame_Enda

I recognise the problem you describe, but I think it was resolved by BofI a few months ago. They now list "today's transactions and transactions in progress" separately from "completed transactions" at the top of the statement - I presume this new category (which, as you say, previously just went missing for a day or two) consists of transactions not yet validated or otherwise fully processed. Having said that, I did notice one small transaction a week or so ago that simply went the old route and went completely missing for a few days. But this seemed to be an exception and is no longer the norm.

There is another issue that people going overseas and relying solely on their ATM cards for funds should be aware of - it not infrequently happens that a withdrawal can fail while nearing the end of the processing of the request as a result of a machine malfunction, and this can sometimes be recorded as a withdrawal in ones account back home. The difficulty arises if you have hit your withdrawal limit or are simply low in funds, in which case you can be left without any cash until the situation is rectified. So my advice would be to never let your cash run out and never withdraw up your limit in one transaction - if your daily limit is €500 and you have a failed attempt to withdraw this amount you will be left without cash for at least a day, whereas if you attempt to withdraw less than the €500 and the transaction fails you have another opportunity to withdraw the balance of your limit.
It has not been resolved.

Example: Last week I paid my electricity bill online, and as is normal, that amount was deducted and the balance changed downwards accordingly. Then it came to last Friday or Saturday and the payment out disappears, and the balance jumps up by the same amount. Then a few days later it reappears, causing the balance to drop down again. But in the meantime as I was going on the balance that was displayed, I had spent some money paying other bills, resulting in me going into unintended overdraft and being charged for doing so on the basis of €10 per overdrawn transaction.

D

Deleted member 17573

Example: Last week I paid my electricity bill online, and as is normal, that amount was deducted and the balance changed downwards accordingly. Then it came to last Friday or Saturday and the payment out disappears, and the balance jumps up by the same amount. Then a few days later it reappears, causing the balance to drop down again. But in the meantime as I was going on the balance that was displayed, I had spent some money paying other bills, resulting in me going into unintended overdraft and being charged for doing so on the basis of €10 per overdrawn transaction.
Ya - what you describe accords with my experience up to a few months ago, but not now - except for the one transaction I mentioned. Have you noticed the two transaction categories I referred to on your account?

Dame_Enda

Ya - what you describe accords with my experience up to a few months ago, but not now - except for the one transaction I mentioned. Have you noticed the two transaction categories I referred to on your account?
Yes

D

Deleted member 17573

And does it normally place recent transaction in the new category, or do they all continue to "go missing" for a few days?
By the way I'm not trying to defend the BofI here - I'd switch from them only the others are just as bad.:D

Dame_Enda

And does it normally place recent transaction in the new category, or do they all continue to "go missing" for a few days?
By the way I'm not trying to defend the BofI here - I'd switch from them only the others are just as bad.:D
What happened is bizarre. The electricity bill listed as a completed transaction last week, then vanished from both lists, and then reappeared Monday as a transaction-in-progress before a few days later appearing as completed.

Norman Bates

Twitter
norman60bates

Ah! here! I'm all for having a go at banks, but really aren't you expecting just a bit too much? I've never relied on the banks [Yup, I've many), to tell me what I am spending. It really is up to the customer to keep track of his/her spending. I only use the online function to double-check my own records in case I've missed anything (me, not the bank). But if I've spent it, I've spent it ... I'm not waiting for a bank to play catch-up, and somehow I've a jingle in my pocket which really isn't there. :cool:

Btw. I don't bank with BoI, but most of the other banks give a balance and an available [to spend] balance as it can take a few days for debits to reach an account? So if I spend money by debitcard in a shop, by the time I get home, my available balance has been adjusted downwards, but it could take some days for the balance to follow suit.

Last edited:

Jack O Neill

Its BOI , they have an IT system from the 1800s and are thieves at heart , move

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies