• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Online news - not as good as the real thing?

CookieMonster

This morning I went though the process of having some Irish newspaper websites unblocked in work. Thankfully this was granted. Our web filter is particularly ardent in blocking forbidden content, mostly contained in ads.

Why did I bother?

Because the only site I could access for Irish news was Journal.ie and I couldn't stand it any more.

The comments section there a horrific experience where you can expect to be either trolled out of red thumbed to death for holding an opposing opinion. To be fair, however, they do tend to remove reported comments pretty quickly but they don't seem to be actively moderated.

The lack of news content is minimal at best and they do tend to obsess on topics of the day. Today, yesterday and seemingly the weeks before seem to have been overwhelmingly concerned with abortion. This morning of the first ten "articles" of the day, four of them were about abortion.

Given the recent issues over twitter and social media type things, and recent threads on p.ie, I have started to wonder are we loosing the quality of real journalism in place of convenience?

Clanrickard

Given the recent issues over twitter and social media type things, and recent threads on p.ie, I have started to wonder are we loosing the quality of real journalism in place of convenience?
No. I think most quality news organisations have an online presence and you can get good news from these sources.

CookieMonster

No. I think most quality news organisations have an online presence and you can get good news from these sources.
I'm talking specifically about online only news sites.

constitutionus

hard to beat reuters man.

Hewson

CM, real journalism, in Ireland anyway, is a distant memory. It's been replaced by a lazy, behind-the-desk, opinionated melange of pseudo-journalism that masquerades as factual reporting but is actually a re-hash of opinions forwarded to journalists by news services that have, at best, faulty histories in truth-telling.

Incisive, compelling, investigative journalism was for a time when stories had to be sniffed out, looked into, disseminated, re-assembled and presented in a cogent manner.

Today we have the internet. Great in some respects, but an invitation to laziness as far as good journalism is concerned.

Truth.ie

There is news available in online forums which is censored or ignored in the mainstream.
I must admit I prefer holding a physical newspaper than scrolling down t'interweb.
Lot easier on the blood pressure as well, compared to online forums.

Truth.ie

CM, real journalism, in Ireland anyway, is a distant memory. It's been replaced by a lazy, behind-the-desk, opinionated melange of pseudo-journalism that masquerades as factual reporting but is actually a re-hash of opinions forwarded to journalists by news services that have, at best, faulty histories in truth-telling.

Incisive, compelling, investigative journalism was for a time when stories had to be sniffed out, looked into, disseminated, re-assembled and presented in a cogent manner.

Today we have the internet. Great in some respects, but an invitation to laziness as far as good journalism is concerned.
I'm getting to the stage when I view stupid videos on the Internet, and can predict which ones will be featured in the Irish papers the next day.
Everything is getting dumbed down to attract a broader readership or higher viewing figures.
The Irish Independent "woman supplement," and Will Young on feckin' Question Time being 2 random examples.

The OD

I agree with the OP in regards to Irish news sites. However, there are many good sites out there.

My usual method in obtaining online news is to go to several sites and then compare, based on what I know of their biases and then try to form my own opinion.

What I do know is that I haven't bought an Irish newspaper in a long time and when I do read them, I find them to be hard to stomach.

Vega1447

I despise R Murdoch but agree with him on one thing only..

Why do people expect journos (real journos, not op/ed people) to work/write for free?

Clanrickard

I'm talking specifically about online only news sites.
What's the difference? The IT has an online presence and a paper version. I read the online one. The BBC is a TV Network with an online presence. Read the online one. Most online only services are cack. Fruitcakes with agendas or simple piggy backing off AP or Reuters.