• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Online resources for learning a musical instrument

johnnypockets

I play guitar(badly) but due to a shoulder injury I have to put it aside for now. Much to the relief of herself! Anyway, I decided while I am healing, I would try my hand at something else. I settled on the bodhran. You can imagine the better half's reaction...out of the frying pan and into the fire :)

Anyway, I have done some research online for lessons online and came across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Kks-6c_tHA

A whole series of lessons from Ronan O Snodaigh. Pure class and quite inspiring.

I am starting this thread so people can point others in the direction of useful material for different instruments they have learned.

Another one to look out for is Marty Schwartz for guitar lessons. You can pay for some of his material but there are also lots of his videos free on youtube.

D

Deleted member 17573

I play guitar(badly) but due to a shoulder injury I have to put it aside for now. Much to the relief of herself! Anyway, I decided while I am healing, I would try my hand at something else. I settled on the bodhran. You can imagine the better half's reaction...out of the frying pan and into the fire :)

Anyway, I have done some research online for lessons online and came across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Kks-6c_tHA

A whole series of lessons from Ronan O Snodaigh. Pure class and quite inspiring.

I am starting this thread so people can point others in the direction of useful material for different instruments they have learned.

Another one to look out for is Marty Schwartz for guitar lessons. You can pay for some of his material but there are also lots of his videos free on youtube.
Some say the bodhran is best played with a sharp knife:D

toconn

Marty Schwartz is great ! Use him and others on u tube a lot .... Still ************************e on the guitar after 35 years but hey so what .

Franzoni

Youtube is excellent for this type of thing.....

I play a bit as well and have branched out into banjo and mandolin with some help from youtube lessons...

A mate of mine taught himself to a decent standard on the piano in about six months ..ie you could recognise the tunes....:)

I've also taken on some car repairs and including changed fan belts etc along with other DIY projects with some help from looking at youtube vids....

I think if you have some previous experience it helps a lot but not essential if you have the interest and perseverance/attention span ....it can be hard when it comes to learning something like a musical instrument especially these days with so many distractions and work/life balance......

johnnypockets

Youtube is excellent for some of this type of thing.....

I play a bit as well and have branched out into banjo and mandolin with some help from youtube lessons...

A mate of mine taught himself to a decent standard on the piano in about six months ..ie you could recognise the tunes....:)

I've also taken on some car repairs and including changed fan belts etc along with other DIY projects with some help from looking at youtube vids....

I think if you have some previous experience it helps a lot but not essential if you have the interest and perseverance/attention span ....it can be hard when it comes to learning something like a musical instrument especially these days with so many distractions and work/life balance......
I bought a banjo myself. Its gathering dust right now but I will get there. Beautiful instrument.

johnnypockets

Marty Schwartz is great ! Use him and others on u tube a lot .... Still ************************e on the guitar after 35 years but hey so what .
He does have a great way about him. His singing is shocking though! Who else do you use?

Franzoni

I bought a banjo myself. Its gathering dust right now but I will get there. Beautiful instrument.

Four or five string..?

Irish tenor Banjo and Mandolin are handy because both are tuned the same so once you get your head around one you have a good start on the other....

Banjo is more playing the melody i find with plenty of triplets with the plec..the mandolin you can do chords as well as lines....

Getting the goo for a Tenor uke for the hols.....:)..be handy as the banjo is heavy for the plane and if the uke got trashed or lost i wouldn't be too sad...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies