Only 1,106 Public Servants Receiving Pensions In Excess of €50,000

feargach

(very very clever pic of marie antoinette, gold star for that pupil!)
Yeah, because objecting to apples-to-oranges comparisons is exactly like Marie Antionette.

If I said that the public service was underpaid because the CEO of Google gets paid more than a hospital porter, you'd be fine with that, would you?

Mr. Bumble

And you do?

The consistent allegation is that the public service is vastly overpaid in comparison with the private. If the top tier of the private sector are far better paid than their public counterparts, that goes some way to disproving that much-repeated suggestion.
Less than 2% of public servants earn over 100k. This figure includes 3,000 consultants. 82% earn less than 60k. These figures exclude the pension levy.

Watcher2

Thats why they virtually all have.

Except of course the ps pensions.

But then, when did cost ever matter?
Apparently, there are quite a few in the private sector too, still open. Nearly all are still in existence, just closed to new entrants.

I'm in one in my company but I have no doubt that the terms of my eventual pension will be much different when I retiure to what I am currently promised.

gatsbygirl20

Apparently, there are quite a few in the private sector too, still open. Nearly all are still in existence, just closed to new entrants.

I'm in one in my company but I have no doubt that the terms of my eventual pension will be much different when I retiure to what I am currently promised.
And i'd say the terms of the eventual pensions of current PS workers will be "much different to what they were promised" also.

But the government--except for poor Leo, who is inclined to blab out the truth if he is not closely supervised--are keeping quiet about that, so they can keep taking the 13% pension contributions off current PS workers and pretending there will be pensions there for them all when they retire

Watcher2

Look at the thread title: out of 300,000 PS workers, only less than a third of one per cent pull in over 50k in a pension.

Let's look at the top 0.3% of the private sector's pensions.

My guess is that absolutely nobody in that top 0.3% gets less than €100,000 per annum in their pensions.

Do you dispute that?
You mujst also factor in the ability of the employer to pay for the funding of the pensions.

Thats the main theme goiong through many PS bashing threads.

Sister Mercedes

Not a fair comparison, by the way, as the private sector includes illiterate fruit-stall workers, whereas the civil service is filtered by competitive exam, almost completely eliminating anyone who didn't get a good education up to leaving cert.
And yet Tokkie managed somehow to slip through the cracks.

Dougal

And you do?

The consistent allegation is that the public service is vastly overpaid in comparison with the private. If the top tier of the private sector are far better paid than their public counterparts, that goes some way to disproving that much-repeated suggestion.
So you have no figures to support plus I would not enter into discussions with you either on this matter as this is not what the thread is about. Well I suppose your best defense is attack, fill your boots.

feargach

Why did you have to name her? Don't you think your PS pals with all their high falutin' written down exams and such would recognize her?
That's a big chip on your shoulder you got there.

What's your situation? Have you got to this stage of your life with no marketable skills? Or is there something you've learned to do?

Imagine you were some kind of private sector worker with some kind of skill or valuable experience: an accountant, a hairdresser, a bookie, whatever.

Imagine your boss decided to compare your wages with a 100% unskilled, entry-level, no-experience-needed worker, and said "we think you should be paid the same as that person".

I take it your response would be "right on, sir! That's totally reasonable! Why, only someone like Marie Antoinette would have any issue with that"

feargach

So you have no figures to support.
So your stance is "when we get the figures, we can confidently expect that the top 3% of private sector pensioners are getting less than €80K"?

If that is your stance, I might be bothered to dig out the figures to prove you wrong.

So is it your stance?

Or are you going to tacitly concede that, in all likelihood, it's most probable that the top 3% of private sector pensioners get significantly in excess of €80K?

ANONG

the bad news is that they cost the exchequer €65.6 million annually. but the good news sure is that Brendan Howlin can do something about the worst of excesses here easily I'd say.

Howlin counts the following cohorts according to the article in the IT by Gordon Deegan Brendan
103 of them rip 100k+ a year
20 make €90,001 and €100,000
37 make €80,001 to €90,000
48 make €70,001 to €80,000
260 make €60,001 to €70,000
638 make €50,000 to €60,000

sure a drop in the ocean if you look at the staggering €2.23bn (2010) public service pension bill overall.

but still adjusting the 50,000+ public pension bill a little would be fair game.

However, the data only relates to retired civil servants, the VEC/Institute of Technology sector and seven smaller bodies and agencies. - Irish Independent

Bull************************ thread as it only relates to a tiny proportion of PS

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom