• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Only 25% to 35% would send their children to 'alternative' school -survey

Eric Cartman

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/1214/1224327837410.html

From the Irish Times today:

SEÁN FLYNN, Education Editor

Only a tiny percentage of parents in some areas favour changes to school patronage, according to a senior figure in Catholic education.

Minister for Education Ruairí Quinn has claimed the results of parental surveys in five pilot areas show a strong demand for change. After the publication of the survey results this week, the Department of Education hopes to begin the process of handing over Catholic-run schools to other patron bodies by September 2014.

However, Father Michael Drumm of the Catholic Schools Partnership maintains only 25 per cent of relevant parents in the areas surveyed responded to the survey.

“ I am not clear as to why the Department of Education cannot publish the exact statistic on the percentage of parents who participated. I think people should look at the real figures. Take Arklow – those who want change are parents of 80 children in a school population of 1,965. That is only 4 per cent .’’
I think that is a reasonable opinion. If people can't be bothered to reply to surveys such as this, then why should they believe they should be taken seriously?

Parents want more choice of schools - Latest News, Education - Independent.ie

A total of 1,788 valid survey responses were received, representing 3,494 children in the five areas.

Between 37pc to 50pc of respondents across the five areas supported a wider choice of patron. The percentage who said they would send their children to an alternative school patron if available ranged from 25pc to 35pc, while those who did not want to see more choice ranged from 35pc to 44pc.

Between 70pc and 80pc chose English medium schools, while the preference for Irish medium instruction ranged from almost 10pc to 21pc.

Of those parents seeking wider choice, Educate Together was the first preference of 56pc to 76pc.
I believe there should be more school diversity, wider choice of school patronage but am firmly Pro-Catholic school.

I would love the Atheists/Agnostics and Muslims etc. to send their children elsewhere and leave my children alone to celebrate nativity plays in peace! More Educate Together!!!!

Still, it seems there is some weakish support for these types of schools, certainly not the massive, overwhelming ,
majority the media believes.

Last edited:

R3volution_R3ady

School vouchers gives parents the choice they so desperately need.

The problem is, the PS don't want the competition.

G

Gimpanzee

Ask the same people if they would change school if the Catholic church was no longer the patron and I'd be pretty confident that the overwhelming majority would say no. The problem is the word alternative. Most people, by definition want their kids to attend a mainstream school. It just so happens that we get 10% extra free Catholicism with that.

I don't want non-religious schools to be 'the alternative', I want them to be the norm. If certain people feel that the sort of education that kids all over the world get is insufficient and they need to supplement it with religious teachings, let them choose an alternative.

White Horse

Emm.

There's a thread on this already.
Yeah, we discussed this on another thread.

I think parents were expressing their opinion as to the status of their local school rather than about offering choice in general.

seabhcan

Parents already have choice over where they send their kids - in so far as the schools exist. The problem is non-Catholic schools don't exist in many areas. Vouchers don't solve that.

Pink Panther

How much of the lower percentage in favour of actually switching schools is down to parents not wanting to move their children out of their existing classroom? Ie, they would prefer a non-demonational school setting but don't want their child disrupted (taken away from friends, teacher etc)

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com

I believe there should be more school diversity, wider choice of school patronage but am firmly Pro-Catholic school.

I would love the Atheists/Agnostics and Muslims etc. to send their children elsewhere and leave my children alone to celebrate nativity plays in peace! More Educate Together!!!!

Still, it seems there is some weakish support for these types of schools, certainly not the massive, overwhelming ,
the bishop of dublin already said he was willing to give up a school building and educate together was by far the preference thsoe who wnated change chose

EvotingMachine0197

So you favour religious partition and discrimination in schools. Unbelieveable ..

southwestkerry

Personally if the choice was their, I would send mine to military school.

Glenshane4

Ask the same people if they would change school if the Catholic church was no longer the patron and I'd be pretty confident that the overwhelming majority would say no. The problem is the word alternative. Most people, by definition want their kids to attend a mainstream school. It just so happens that we get 10% extra free Catholicism with that.

I don't want non-religious schools to be 'the alternative', I want them to be the norm. If certain people feel that the sort of education that kids all over the world get is insufficient and they need to supplement it with religious teachings, let them choose an alternative.
Many people have done as you suggest. They have chosen an alternative. Many have chosen Catholic schools. Others have chosen Protestant schools. Some have chosen Islamic schools. Parental choice is a great thing.

Glenshane4

So you favour religious partition and discrimination in schools. Unbelieveable ..
I most certainly do. I do not accept that non-Catholics are entitled to equality with Catholics in a Catholic school. I do not accept that a Catholic school should turn away the children of Catholics so that it will have room for the children of non-Catholics.

anationoceagain

Schools are not businesses. Imagine a cohort of schools that had no access to evil public services like psychologists, speech and language therapists, occupational therapists, child guidance services etc.

Sense 0f Wonder

I most certainly do. I do not accept that non-Catholics are entitled to equality with Catholics in a Catholic school. I do not accept that a Catholic school should turn away the children of Catholics so that it will have room for the children of non-Catholics.
Cleansing Ireland --indeed humanity-- of people like you is going to take a long time isn't it? We all know support for Catholicism is falling away like rotting meat from the bone.. but it's just not quick enough for my taste....

I support your call for segregation. Then we can ensure that only Catholic children are poisoned. Best kill them young before they develop a gra for life... and indeed before we waste too many of our finite resources on them.

Such segregation would also be a useful way to build a database of Catholic parents. All welfare payments to said people should cease immediately. Their property and assets should be seized and they should be herded onto flimsy rafts and pushed out into the Atlantic. We could call it The Columbanus project.

Imagine how fresh the Irish air would be if Ireland were Catholic-free.

We are already more than halfway there... The Irish Catholic Church is on its knees.

However --especially at this time of year-- it's important to remember that we should never become complacent and we should never, ever rest until every last Catholic has been sent to sea or kicked in the face until dead :)

happy holidays one and all!

Last edited:

Researchwill

Well then I think the State should remove all funding from schools that do not provide equality. When the Catholic or any other organisation pay all the bills including wages in a school they can call the shots until then as long as they take money from the state there should be equality.

By the way love the very charitable attitude to non catholic children seeking an education.

EvotingMachine0197

I don't know what to say to that. It's way past despicable, so I've no words for it. You really need to find another source for your dysfunctional morality.

GJG

Website
blog.hereshow.ie
Actually I have no problem with your bigotry, with two conditions: Not on my time, and not on my dime.

If you want to send kids to a school where non-catholics are not equally welcome and catered for, both as employees and students, then don't expect a cent in funding from taxation, or any other considerations.

Do you think you are liable to fund the religious education of people of other faiths?