• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Only 42% of SF supporters in Northern Ireland favour a United Ireland.

healing hands

silverharp

whats the logic, notherners picky about which tit they prefer?

Truth.ie

It's called normalisation of British Rule.
Sinn Fein cant say they weren't warned that this would happen.
Republicans warned in 1998 this would be the end result.

McSlaggart

I dont think anyone else has done a Post on this since the Report on Slugger.

Constitutional uncoupling, or the decline in support for Nationalist parties amongst the Catholic community of Northern Ireland | Slugger O'Toole

Support for a UI amongst SF voters has fallen from 88% in 2001, 84% in 2006 to 42% in 2014.

This is a massive drop off in support for what many in the republican movement would consider to be their very reason for existing.

What a load of crap. Both the sdlp and sf are currently playing nice and unionism is not allowing things like the Irish language act. People are pissed at "unionism" and do not have anyone who will demonstrate this anger......

BTW: In the end the north issue will be finished due to economic matters not political.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com

Constitutional uncoupling, or the decline in support for Nationalist parties amongst the Catholic community of Northern Ireland | Slugger O'Toole

Support for a UI amongst SF voters has fallen from 88% in 2001, 84% in 2006 to 42% in 2014.

This is a massive drop off in support for what many in the republican movement would consider to be their very reason for existing.
If that's the figure, I simply don't believe it. It's tantamount to the boiling point of water suddenly for no reason at all changing.

automaticforthepeople

Nobody should be surprised by this. SF have spent years opposing everything. It's become pavlovian within the movement to block everything.
This poll confirms SF prefer negativity over reality.

Dasayev

I think stuff like this only reminds us of the limitations of what polls can actually tell us.

freewillie

Does that mean 58% of SF supporters would prefer a united Ireland within the British commonwealth?

Aindriu

They stand to lose far more than they would gain.
Going to the Dr for nowt opposed to having to pay €60 each time.
Higher benefits - when all the addons are taken account of.
No council tax bill if they are on benefits.
No prescription charges at all
Much lower car tax
Public libraries, swimming pools etc.
No having to pay bin charges
Lower NI contributions than the PRSI
No USC
and the list goes on ...........

Harmonica

Seems the more normal life is & the more opportunities there are for nationalists the less they need a United Ireland. This cannot really be a surprise but interesting to see in hard numbers. Is it also possible that people no longer identify their nationality purely based on where they live. What difference in 2016 does it really make to most people in NI who governs them?

I think UK voting top leave the EU may be good for SF as it may create some new artificial barriers at the border & refocus attention on the All-Ireland issue.

Therightroad

They probably look down here and see Fine Gael, The Sunday Independent etc and think we're more British than the British themselves??

Spanner Island

It's called normalisation of British Rule.
Sinn Fein cant say they weren't warned that this would happen.
Republicans warned in 1998 this would be the end result.
Do you not think perhaps that the almighty shambles that is Dail Eireann and the way the eFFing traitors did their level best to destroy the country with voters having flocked back to them just one electoral term later might have something to do with it?

I suspect those with agendas/prejudices like to delve deeply into reasons that simply aren't there at all.

If I were an SF voter in NI I'd probably be in favour of the status quo as well.

Truth.ie

They stand to lose far more than they would gain.
Going to the Dr for nowt opposed to having to pay €60 each time.
Higher benefits - when all the addons are taken account of.
No council tax bill if they are on benefits.
No prescription charges at all
Much lower car tax
Public libraries, swimming pools etc.
No having to pay bin charges
Lower NI contributions than the PRSI
No USC
and the list goes on ...........
My Mother lives in a typical 3 bed terraced house in Derry, and pays over 1000 euros property tax every year.
It's risen every year for the last 7 years.
The dole is higher in the South also.
They have libraries and swimming pools in the 26 counties last time I checked.
Museums and galleries are free in the south but you're charged in the North (despite the high rates).

Pros and cons on both sides of the border.

The drop in support for a U.I is because people aren't angry anymore, as they were in the 70's 80's etc.
The passion has gone.
This has been British strategy since the mid 70s.
Ulsterisation (hand over security and governance to the natives) and Normalisation (make British Rule less visible militarily and create a semblance of normality).
Once SF bought into that, the British had it in the bag. Check mate.

Truth.ie

Do you not think perhaps that the almighty shambles that is Dail Eireann and the way the eFFing traitors did their level best to destroy the country with voters having flocked back to them just one electoral term later might have something to do with it?

I suspect those with agendas/prejudices like to delve deeply into reasons that simply aren't there at all.

If I were an SF voter in NI I'd probably be in favour of the status quo as well.
I don't think that is a factor at all.
Support for a UI in the 80s was extremely high in the North, despite the economic and political situation in the 26 counties.

GDPR

What a load of crap. Both the sdlp and sf are currently playing nice and unionism is not allowing things like the Irish language act. People are pissed at "unionism" and do not have anyone who will demonstrate this anger......

BTW: In the end the north issue will be finished due to economic matters not political.
Not true; Northern Ireland would be better off economically within the Republic of Ireland now if peaceful unification could be achieved but the psychological attachment to the Union in a significant proportion of the PUL population would lead to mass violence if they thought it was around the corner so as things stand a lot of the CNR are prepared to settle with what they have now for the sake of a quiet life.

Also I know that the SDLP and SF have been playing it super nice for a considerable amount of time; but so called moderate Unionists on here still speak about a "Nationalist on-slaught".

Jack O Neill

Nobody should be surprised by this. SF have spent years opposing everything. It's become pavlovian within the movement to block everything.
This poll confirms SF prefer negativity over reality.
I suppose the simple reality is people there suddenly realised they might have Inda and the Idiots as their government , that would make any option look appealing
This has to be the stupidest survey in a while all the same though

GDPR

Support for a UI in the 80s was extremely high in the North, despite the economic and political situation in the 26 counties.
The ROI is heaven on earth for all its problems compared to what the UK is becoming.

Truth.ie

I suppose the simple reality is people there suddenly realised they might have Inda and the Idiots as their government , that would make any option look appealing
This has to be the stupidest survey in a while all the same though
and yet it was higher when Haughey was in power.

I dont think people who aspire for a UI are doing so to have an extension of the Free State into the North.
They aspire for a new, sovereign Ireland.

I personally want to see the North out of the UK and out of the EU.
A United Ireland under the EU means nothing to me, and I wouldn't get out of bed to vote in a border poll if that was to be the outcome.

JCR

Nationalism can only really be sold to the majority in times of trouble and suffering. It has no real value and no real meaning beyond what those who seek to gain from its rhetoric and mythology try to sell it as.

Its harder to sella bullsh1t idea to people who aren't suffering anymore.

Spanner Island

Fair point... although the world was a much more isolated and closed off place back then.

And back then NI was in the midst of mayhem with the Brits were being awful bastards.

Things have changed dramatically since then... with technology and communications and God help us globalisation making things like a UI more irrelevant in ways... although obviously the EU is trying its hardest to make them relevant again...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies