• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Only a minority of new taxis need to be wheelchair accessible instead of all taxis

Patslatt1

See Cost of running wheelchair accessible taxi too much, drivers say

Since wheelchair users are a small minority of the population, it should be possible with mobile phone apps to meet their needs for taxi service instead of forcing all taxis to be wheelchair accessible. The latter will add substantially to taxi fares. The apps could identify the number of those taxis available in local areas at various times.

In parts of Ireland experiencing shortages of wheelchair accessible taxis,some taxi drivers could be incentivised to buy them with assistance from a government grant that could be funded out of taxi licence fees. The main objection to this solution is that the government would prefer to keep all the fees.

Dame_Enda

I only briefly needed a wheelchair when I had sciatica last year but it did wake me up to what it must like for the majority of wheelchair users who are paralysed. Its not an unnecessary cost if you find yourself needing them, and many until then able bodied persons will find themselves needing them if say they have an accident on a building site, get into a car crash or have a stroke (or indeed sciatica). When I had sciatica I could move my legs but was unable to stand up. Sortof like you feel nothing in your lower back and your back is not obeying instructions from your brain, whereas you're legs are.

Last edited:

Niall996

Patslatt1

They make better taxis don't they? You can get five into them and throw your luggage in the middle like London taxis.
The needs of wheelchair users can be met by a minority of taxis that could be acccessed on a mobile app for the service showing their location.

Niall996

Would you pay a lot higher fares for that?

No. Why should one pay a highwr price? A Toyota Avensis was never designed to be a taxi. There are much better vehicles more fit for purpose.

Patslatt1

No. Why should one pay a highwr price? A Toyota Avensis was never designed to be a taxi. There are much better vehicles more fit for purpose.
The Avensis is a comfortable car with a big trunk for luggage and extremely reliable. The London style big black taxis are too big for most fares.

Patslatt1

And waiting in a queue?
Mobile apps could identify the number of wheelchair users in local areas. The taxi licencing authority could calculate how many wheelchair accesible taxis were needed in local areas to limit waiting times to a maximum of say 20 minutes. Those taxis would receive a subsidy paid out of licence fees to pay for the extra cost of the taxis. It may be necessary to police the number of wheelchair passengers served by having them issue a receipt to the taxis. That's because in busy times wheelchair taxis might prefer to prioritise regular business over time consuming wheelchair passengers.

Voluntary

So why do you think drivers chose them and not these 'more fit for purpose'? You should tell them your secret :roflmao:

ruman

I'd give grants to those taxis to cover the difference in cost between wheelchair accessible and non accessible. Wheelchair cars are currently exempt from VAT/VRT so this should be easy enough to apply to taxis.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies