• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Only in Ireland - Airports :)

ONQ

O'Leary will be happy.

Do the most to reduce international travel costs by introducing competition to upset Aer Lingus - take our many ads and structure your website ro highlight the effect of government taxes and levies in your industry and what do they do - they put up more charges.

One of the few exports we still have is tourism - what *rsehole put up the charges?

galleyslave

at the risk of having Cael start up his soapbox - shure it's like the berlin wall, only with aeroplanes - they don't want us to leave. Now if the ferries had levies we'd be really screwed

hammer

We need tourists spending their hard earned currency in our country.

Weekend tourist - spends €300
1week + tourist - spends €1000+

Keeps people in employment. Genrates extra taxes :)

Are they so blind that they cannot see how the real economy works, hidden away in Merrion Street.

Outlander

Wage cuts? Three day weeks? Redundancies? Mothball the unused sections?

Can't help flights of fancy.

(Sorry)

A view from England

We need tourists spending their hard earned currency in our country.

Weekend tourist - spends €300
1week + tourist - spends €1000+

Keeps people in employment. Genrates extra taxes :)

Are they so blind that they cannot see how the real economy works, hidden away in Merrion Street.
I'm over this week for a wedding. Ferry for car, three people, cabin and upgraded return seats is £355 - agood price. I just got a price for the hotel where the wedding is on at. One night -310 Euro. No way am I paying that! Ireland is still a rip off. I can get 2 nights in a 4* hotel in central London for that price. Cut your prices and the tourists will flood in.

Ulster-Lad

Details Fare p.p. Taxes & Charges Total
1 Adult(s): EUR 4.99 EUR 29.99 EUR 34.98
Handling Fee: EUR 5.00
Pre-Paid Bag Fee: EUR 15.00
Seating Fee: EUR 10.00
TOTAL EUR 64.98

Here is what it just cost me for a flight to Dublin. This is on an advertised €5 fare.

Arracht

I I just got a price for the hotel where the wedding is on at. One night -310 Euro. .
I'm not sure if it's a specifically Irish thing but hotels tend to put rip off prices on rooms for weddings. Try ringing back and don't tell them you are there for the wedding, if the hotel isn't booked out you'll likely get a cheaper rate.
If all else fails there is likely a B&B up the road, the facilities and comfort in most B&Bs rival what you'll get in a hotel anyway.

gijoe

As charges are loaded on every airline has to examine the profitability of their schedule. At any point in time there is a maximum ability to pay by consumers at a certain level of supply then an airline has to deduct costs to determine profitability. As charges increase the 'marginal' or soft demand seats that can only be sold at a steep discount will become unprofitable.

The answer to this is for airlines to cut capacity, thereby increasing average yield to counter the increase in costs per passenger. In practical terms that may mean cutting a flight from daily to 6 a week or from 3 flights a day to twice on days of lower demand etc. Alternatively, airlines with a mixed fleet can just reduce capacity by flying a lower capacity aircraft. Ultimately it will also lead to some airlines cutting routes as other route options will now be more profitable.

All told this is the ultimate in self defeating pricing. The Airport Authority is calling this badly. Airlines, not even AL, do not have to fly to Ireland. Even AL can and do redeploy aircraft out of the country, including the Madrid/Washington route. Airlines have lots of options and the option they choose will be the one that delivers the highest profit margin.

Mitsui2

Here is what it just cost me for a flight to Dublin. This is on an advertised €5 fare.
Well that just seems to be the way things are going in Ireland - multiply by ten-and-a-bit. Similarly, we had this bank bailout that was supposed to cost us €4.5bn but now looks likely to cost in excess of €50bn.

Touché

I flew into shannon yesterday evening,never saw the place so deserted, all that was missing was tumbleweed (or passengers). At 18.30pm all upstairs bars and shops were shut, i could only see 1 other person on the whole floor, the guard on duty at departure door, maybe 20 people downstairs including staff. Only for the troops, it would surely close, lest we not forget the greens were against their patronage too.

A view from England

I'm not sure if it's a specifically Irish thing but hotels tend to put rip off prices on rooms for weddings. Try ringing back and don't tell them you are there for the wedding, if the hotel isn't booked out you'll likely get a cheaper rate.
If all else fails there is likely a B&B up the road, the facilities and comfort in most B&Bs rival what you'll get in a hotel anyway.
Thanks for the advice but I'll book a taxi and stay with the in laws. The last time I stayed in a B+B (Killarney), I nearly went down with consumption it was so damp and dirty. Admittedly this was 10 years ago. I had a quick shufty on line at the hotel at the price is the same, £310 euro. How can a semi rural hotel charge so much? I had a look at an equivalent English hotel in a nice area close to Stratford upon Avon. For £300 I can have three nights DB+B. If the hotel in Ireland had been priced at £130ish I would have considered it a fair price. £310 Euro is a rip off.

Disillusioned democrat

It's funny - 'cos no one in Gov seems to make the connection between a bloke in charge of the airport on €500k + bonuses and the fact that rather than raising charges they should look at cutting costs. We've got so used to the ridiculous salaries that they've become somehow invisible when trying to solve the problem of trying to make the airport - or any semi-state, quango - more cost effective.

gijoe

Thanks for the advice but I'll book a taxi and stay with the in laws. The last time I stayed in a B+B (Killarney), I nearly went down with consumption it was so damp and dirty. Admittedly this was 10 years ago. I had a quick shufty on line at the hotel at the price is the same, £310 euro. How can a semi rural hotel charge so much? I had a look at an equivalent English hotel in a nice area close to Stratford upon Avon. For £300 I can have three nights DB+B. If the hotel in Ireland had been priced at £130ish I would have considered it a fair price. £310 Euro is a rip off.
Try Roomex Hotels for O2 Staff, Family and Friends

They usually have Killarney hotel rooms at the cheaper end of the scale.

hammer

My sister is heading to Kilkenny for Halloween weekend.

2 nights B&B, one evening meal €69

Days Hotel

Outragous that you are being charged €310 for a room for the night. I wouldn`t pay either. B&B about €30 per head

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies