• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Only the UK has nominated English as an official EU language, time for change?

NYCKY

Reading the link, it's easy to see why many an average Joe is fed up with the EU.

First world problems and all that.

Polly Ticks

Does it make you feel sophisticated to demean the Irish language, cyp? :)

silverharp

whats will happen though , wont they have to keep their translation to English going?

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
No need.

The EU is not about to drop English.

It's the most widely used language of day-to-day business used in the EU by quite a long shot.

If English was dropped, the majority of Germans (for example) would no longer be able to communicate with almost anyone else in the Union without the use of an interpreter.

GDPR

Anybody who does not speak fluent Irish should not be allowed vote in the ROI.

GDPR

O sweet suffering jesus
Well its funny how this works but it does seem that only those who can genuinely connect to a nation's past can really have genuine, thoughtful concern for its future.

Polly Ticks

Well its funny how this works but it does seem that only those who can genuinely connect to a nation's past can really have genuine, thoughtful concern for its future.
How does this work with new nations? (i.e. nations with no past)

Toland

Website
I was going to argue with you, but I've decided not to.

Instead, I'll give you a one-word reminder: democracy.

Dame_Enda

If they do this they are just being silly and vindictive.

So they will.

Toland

Website
If they do this they are just being silly and vindictive.

So they will.
The first sentence is right.

The second isn't.

There'll be plenty of vindictiveness, but they won't be sawing off their own limbs just to be able to throw them at the British. There are plenty of other more suitable objects to throw at them.

Barroso

How does this work with new nations? (i.e. nations with no past)
Could you name some of them?
The reason I ask this question is that every group of humans has a past, and most groups would have had a common language for quite some time.
If by "new nation" you mean "new state" including a variety of linguistic groups, well that is another story altogether.

Mercurial

English won't lose its status. If anything, we are likely to see English increase in popularity.

Barroso

English won't lose its status. If anything, we are likely to see English increase in popularity.
Because the English have left? Most unlikely.
I believe that other languages will be pushed to the fore. French and German specifically.
This will not occur overnight, but it will be an inevitable result of England/Britain leaving.
They are not about to hand over the running of the EU to Irish and Scottish civil servants.
Most educated Scandinavians already speak German as well as English. Spanish and Italians can pick up French with little difficulty - and any that already live in Brussels, Strasbourg or Luxembourg probably speak French already.
It's the Eastern Europeans who will push for English - and they know that their bread is buttered by the Germans.
We can expect the EU to split on Latin heritage / non-Latin heritage linguistically, probably.

Of course English will not disappear overnight, it will take 10 or maybe 20 years, but IF they end up leaving, this will be the long-term result.

Mercurial

Because the English have left? Most unlikely.
I believe that other languages will be pushed to the fore. French and German specifically.
This will not occur overnight, but it will be an inevitable result of England/Britain leaving.
They are not about to hand over the running of the EU to Irish and Scottish civil servants.
Most educated Scandinavians already speak German as well as English. Spanish and Italians can pick up French with little difficulty - and any that already live in Brussels, Strasbourg or Luxembourg probably speak French already.
It's the Eastern Europeans who will push for English - and they know that their bread is buttered by the Germans.
We can expect the EU to split on Latin heritage / non-Latin heritage linguistically, probably.

Of course English will not disappear overnight, it will take 10 or maybe 20 years, but IF they end up leaving, this will be the long-term result.
English is already established as the lingua franca, not just within the EU, but worldwide, and with Brexit, it has the added advantage of being a compromise solution among speakers of other languages.

silverharp

all the languages are routed through English before they get translated into the final language. they arent going to undo that network

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies