OOooooohhhh Deutschland! Frau Merkel's energy and environmental policy

yosef shompeter

Everyone is on the anti Trump bandwagon heaping their criticism in his direction. The above link hints gently at the bind that Germany has got itself into:
a) They are the biggest brown-coal producers and polluters in the world
b) They have committed themselves to abolishing nuclear power plants -- now that's going to cost some
c) Sources of gas such as North Sea gas from Holland are running low
d) the main opposition party is the Greens

Russians to the rescue! they've built a pipeline from Siberia that now by-passes Ukraine. Problem solved? Well no. Trump is kind of stung that after him providing Nato protection that the Krauts go and contract to buy Russian gas... i.e. from the bad guys he's trying to protect from.
This must be more convoluted than the Northern Irish Brexit problem.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Good news is that there is enough wind hanging about to be able to power the world a few times over. This will come as no surprise to those hardy annuals perched out there on the Wild West Way.

It is just a technical problem in terms of distribution and occurrence.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Good news is that there is enough wind hanging about to be able to power the world a few times over. This will come as no surprise to those hardy annuals perched out there on the Wild West Way.

It is just a technical problem in terms of distribution and occurrence.
That would require a global grid and interchange. Which has as much chance of happening anytime soon as I have of ascending to the Chrysanthemum Throne of Japan.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Bet you wish you'd gone for the House of Orange when you were trying to spell Chrysanthemum. I still have a sneaking suspicion that science will bring some answers.

The likelihood of a change in human behaviour sufficient to ease climate change concerns is probably the most remote of all the possible solutions. So we may be down to developing technology fast in such a way as to actually ease some of the indicators people are concerned about. I do think this is possible but it just is one of those massive challenges that is so massive it may require an 11 year old child to suddenly resolve everything, in the same way they saved the world when Video Recorders arrived by actually managing to be able to programme them and make them work.

McTell

Twitter
No
/////

Russians to the rescue! they've built a pipeline from Siberia that now by-passes Ukraine. Problem solved? Well no. Trump is kind of stung that after him providing Nato protection that the Krauts go and contract to buy Russian gas... i.e. from the bad guys he's trying to protect from.

In 2017 Trump ensured that us gas is landed in poland for ukraine at subsidised prices. Qatar and russia are cheaper right now, and the krauts have a contract with russia, but you don't mind paying a bit more to have 3 suppliers.

May even get a brief mention in the impeachment.

blinding

Everyone is on the anti Trump bandwagon heaping their criticism in his direction. The above link hints gently at the bind that Germany has got itself into:
b) They have committed themselves to abolishing nuclear power plants -- now that's going to cost some

Greta Thunberg will have to go in and kick the $hit out of Guide Merkel .

theObserver@hotmail.com

Germany are also supporting the destruction of Swedish northern forests by importing their 'alternative energy' needs. No chance of Germany ripping up its own country to support these inefficient abominations.

yosef shompeter

I could make a little addition to the above list.
The cooking of the auto emission results by the German Auto firms and the churing out of high-polluting autos onto the world markets. It wasn't just Volkswagen, you know. And this comes at a time when the world is galavanized into tackling the problems of global warming. The auto executives are to blame here. Can't blame Angela Merkel for this one. But it all adds up to a big scratch the beauty-queen image of super clean Germany.
I ask ask myself whether I'm going slightly senile, but when I look at some of Donald Trump's speeches, I say to myself: " Hey! What's wrong with that?"
Such as his declaration that he wants to get America out of all these endless wars.
Or his directive to screen all immigrants coming out of Muslim countries before they are let in.
Seems like common sense to me.
His boasts about grabbing women... (which he didn't know were on camera) Can't defend that, I suppose. Ach sinn scéal eile.

parentheses

I read that the Germans recently had to rip up their countryside for a new open-cast coalmine.

yosef shompeter

Maybe I have this need to see the big picture. If Europe's leaders are going on the assumption that the entire energy industry must be re-tooled and we must move away from coal -- The move to natural gas would seem reasonable enough. Yes it produces CO2 but it is much cleaner than coal, would, turf etc. So in the short to medium term this may make sense.
On the other hand -- as our farmers already know -- The EU has clinched a deal to flog their autos in South America and accept South American beef in return. The implication being that the Amazon gets chain-sawed down so as to produce more soya-feed or more grass for the rancheros.
Ireland will of course plant more trees -- but the few extra badgers and squirrels in Leitrim and Donegal will be poor recompense for the enormous loss of wild-life and species in Amazonas.
what am I getting at? Well back to the Ooooh! Deutchland title. It's one more scratch on the beauty image of this super clean country which is the heart of the Green movement.

Popular Threads

Most Replies