• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

wombat

wombat

It was never properly explained and not any of the media questioned it. There is no scientific explanation either.
The concession was made to include pubs which served food in the decision to open restaurants. The problem was to frame a restriction so that only pubs with regular kitchens could open. The €9 came from the definition of a "substantial meal" included in the original legislation, toasted sandwich didn't meet the standard. The regulation was accepted as everyone believed pubs would open a few weeks later, when that didn't happen, the absurdity of the definition became an aid to the lobbying to open all pubs.

Buchaill Dana

It was never properly explained and not any of the media questioned it. There is no scientific explanation either.

The only thing I can think of is keeping people in their seats, which can be done by using masks, if you leave your seat you wear a mask and if you refuse you leave. It's quite simple really and no food (at any price) needs to be involved.
Yes it was

james toney

So it's fine to re-open the pubs again, as the cases of coronavirus are going up and up... but it wasn't okay to open the pubs in july or august.

Yet again the coalition of chaos are making it up as they go along....it makes little sense.

TakeitAll

So it's fine to re-open the pubs again, as the cases of coronavirus are going up and up... but it wasn't okay to open the pubs in july or august.

Yet again the coalition of chaos are making it up as they go along....it makes little sense.
A bit like nphet then. Since masks became mandatory the cases have risen steadily, just a coincidence?

james toney

A bit like nphet then. Since masks became mandatory the cases have risen steadily, just a coincidence?
All I know is my intake of pints is going to rise steadily now.

TakeitAll

The masks are definitely spreading it.
Could be carriers :) it is unnatural to be trapping your breath from escaping. I am complying with wearing them going into shops etc. but my point is that probably has little to do with reducing the number of new cases.

Round tower

the government is already threatening to roll back on this date
It could happen if their is local lockdowns, which is definetaly looking highly possible in Dublin and maybe Dublin, in the last 15 days their has being1979 new cases of which 973 of them is in Dublin just under 50% and Limerick is allso in jeopardy

Rural

Last edited:
Last edited:
Yes it was
Yes what was?

Explain to me (scientifically) how a €9 meal out is safer than a basket of chicken wings and chips for €6.50, or €4.50?

I completely understand about people staying in their seats and being served by staff wearing masks, the price of the food is a total mystery to me.

TakeitAll

It could happen if their is local lockdowns, which is definetaly looking highly possible in Dublin and maybe Dublin, in the last 15 days their has being1979 new cases of which 973 of them is in Dublin just under 50% and Limerick is allso in jeopardy
If it was any other county would have been a lockdown. No surprise that commuter belt counties like kildare experienced high covid numbers. Need more detailed stats communicated on pockets of covid cases as this line about Dublin numbers based on total population of Dublin cannot be the right method.

Buchaill Dana

Yes what was?

Explain to me (scientifically) how a €9 meal out is safer than a basket of chicken wings and chips for €6.50, or €4.50?

I completely understand about people staying in their seats and being served by staff wearing masks, the price of the food is a total mystery to me.
Nobody claimed it was. Restaurants opened. Some pubs were rebranded Restaurants and have to behave as such, specifically around keeping people at tables.

forest

Yes what was?

They wanted to allow restaurants reopen but because of a grey area between a pub and a restaurant they put in rules that you had to have a "substantial" meal. They defined a substantial meal at €9. It could have been 8 it could have been 11 but it was €9. No it makes no difference if your pizza was 8 or 9 but they wanted to introduce a number and 9 was chosen

Marcos the black

They wanted to allow restaurants reopen but because of a grey area between a pub and a restaurant they put in rules that you had to have a "substantial" meal. They defined a substantial meal at €9. It could have been 8 it could have been 11 but it was €9. No it makes no difference if your pizza was 8 or 9 but they wanted to introduce a number and 9 was chosen
It was literally lifted from the Restaurants act and today's value applied. Was it 5 shillings back then? I think it was that figure was was in the act. Anyway, that's where the figure comes from, nothing to do with Covid or the risk etc of getting it. It's around the definition of what is a "substantial meal".

Rural

They could have put rules in place where people sat in their seats, wore masks if they left their seats and generally behaved, like it is here, the pub/restaurant staff here do not tolerate any breaches because the fines for a premises that doesn't make sure the customers comply start at €60,000 with a shut-down included.

Putting a price on the (so called substantial) meal just meant that people with money could leave their four walls and get out somewhere different, so it is unfair.

2020 has been a rotten year for jobs worldwide, our eldest is out of work due to Covid, but things will eventually get back to where they were. The really rotten thing about this year is that 6 friends of ours died from different ailments (not Covid) but Covid delayed their treatments, they were not old or infirm and may have come out the other side under normal circumstances

So, petty things like hearing that a €9 each meal will allow a couple to get out of a house with a few teenagers in it and if they cannot afford it they can just stay home and go mad, annoys me a bit.

Emily Davison

Last edited:
Last edited:
Rural we had a carvery sandwich costing 6.95 in a well known hotel. We hadn’t a clue about the price being an issue so the waiter said if we bought chips it was ok to have a drink. So we paid more for chips but I told him not to bring the chips. Based on our trip to Ireland these are the facts

- a few places are strict, but that’s a relative ‘strict’
- most rural places masks are unusual
- upmarket seaside villages there are no laws, literally
- didn’t have to sign our names most of the time
- no police anywhere
- house parties normal, including parents organising ones for their teenage children
- rules about six to a table broken, even my own cousins place this was broken by his/my relatives when I think back now on who was at that table, but I know it over a weekend on three further occasions
- no contact from Dublin to check were we quarantining

I actually feel stupid now we did quarantine as quite clearly we need not have bothered and nothing would have happened to us if we didn't.

Emily Davison

. The really rotten thing about this year is that 6 friends of ours died from different ailments (not Covid) but Covid delayed their treatments, they were not old or infirm and may have come out the other side under normal circumstances
This is the big scandal of all of this. Deaths from loss of jobs snd suicide, from fear of going to hospitals, from missing cancer diagnosis, from missing treatments.

JCR

It was literally lifted from the Restaurants act and today's value applied. Was it 5 shillings back then? I think it was that figure was was in the act. Anyway, that's where the figure comes from, nothing to do with Covid or the risk etc of getting it. It's around the definition of what is a "substantial meal".
That's that mystery solved then.

Anyway as we all know the issue is not the cost of the meal. The truth is that its the vastly differing behavior of people in pubs than in restaurants. Otherwise there should be no problem in having pubs work like restaurants with spaced out seating, table service etc. There are lots of sensible things that can be done always, but always the problem is implementation.

We all know if you tried to open Irish pubs and expected sensible and responsible behavior you are barking mad. And we also all know there will always be the likes of the Healy Raes who know they can influence most people to completely miss the point. Hence the issue of the nine euros.

seanof

Rural we had a carvery sandwich costing 6.95 in a well known hotel. We hadn’t a clue about the price being an issue so the waiter said if we bought chips it was ok to have a drink. So we paid more for chips but I told him not to bring the chips. Based on our trip to Ireland these are the facts

- no police anywhere
- house parties normal, including parents organising ones for their teenage children
- rules about six to a table broken, even my own cousins place this was broken by his/my relatives when I think back now on who was at that table, but I know it over a weekend on three further occasions

I actually feel stupid now we did quarantine as quite clearly we need not have bothered and nothing would have happened to us if we didn't.

JCR

- no police anywhere

Just because other people behave stupidly does not mean you should feel stupid because you do the sensible and responsible thing. We all know people are always going to be stupid. It doesn't mean we all have to be. Stupid behaviour is what is going to prevent us all having something of a semblance of normality for some time to come.

I think there is a possibility that the mutation of Covid circulating now may be less dangerous and also we are better able to treat it now in addition. But I don't think we are going to know this for sure until the winter. In the meantime the welfare of our healthcare staff and healthcare system is much more important than pubs as we all know. Don't we?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom