Open question to Eoghan Harris.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I've been waiting for him to announce his support for Brexit and his personal admiration for Jacob Rees-Mogg for some time now. Unless he's already had the tongue unfurled and no one noticed.

Glaucon

I've been waiting for him to announce his support for Brexit and his personal admiration for Jacob Rees-Mogg for some time now. Unless he's already had the tongue unfurled and no one noticed.
He has deep seated emotional problems, to be fair to him. The fact that the Sunday Independent still publishes his barely coherent rants says much about them.

He obsessively seeks validation and recognition, and thunders with rage when he feels that his central role is being ignored, much like any narcissist. In any Harris column, the following three elements are guarenteed:

i) a reference to a feature of Aristotle's philosophy (usually taken out of context, or twisted to suit his own ends)
ii) a rant about how he recognized a particular fact/idea/tendency 25 years before everyone else
iii) the IRA

Buchaill Dana

He has deep seated emotional problems, to be fair to him. The fact that the Sunday Independent still publishes his barely coherent rants says much about them.

He obsessively seeks validation and recognition, and thunders with rage when he feels that his central role is being ignored, much like any narcissist. In any Harris column, the following three elements are guarenteed:

i) a reference to a feature of Aristotle's philosophy (usually taken out of context, or twisted to suit his own ends)
ii) a rant about how he recognized a particular fact/idea/tendency 25 years before everyone else
iii) the IRA
iv) Mehole good, Leo/Simon bad. How dare they look after the national interest, if the DUP disagree its sectarian of us.

Glenshane4

Harris and Gay did have similar views regarding the northern cconflict.
Gay Byrne was certainly an enemy of the Catholic people of Northern Ireland.

As for this character Harris, I am not sure what he believes or thinks. With a journalist, it is always difficult to be sure. The controversial journalist tends to be widely read and the widely read journalist tends to be wealthy.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
It has been quite some time in my opinion since Harris was hired for journalism. He's been a commentator or op-d writer for so long he's actually just advertising his irrelevance.

Buchaill Dana

It has been quite some time in my opinion since Harris was hired for journalism. He's been a commentator or op-d writer for so long he's actually just advertising his irrelevance.
That thought struck me. Is he a journalist? I'm sure he sees himself as a polemecist as opposed to the cliche ridden hack the rest seem him as.

jmcc

Harris was a member of Sinn Fein and and a Marxist. Wanted to turn SF/Workers party into a communist party and described himself as a Stalinist. Apparently they used to call him "the thin blue flame". Seem to have been as good at nicknames as Harris is at "journalism".

parentheses

Arguably his influence within RTE and his connection to Gay Byrne made him one of the most influential journalists of the last few decades.

McTell

Twitter
No
Formerly a marxist, so maybe he's another case of the "zeal of the convert".

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Always struck me as someone who was unlikely to ever build a career at anything so settled for being a militant observer instead.

2lazy

Harris was a member of Sinn Fein and and a Marxist. Wanted to turn SF/Workers party into a communist party and described himself as a Stalinist. Apparently they used to call him "the thin blue flame". Seem to have been as good at nicknames as Harris is at "journalism".

"Security staff at Independent newspapers said the caller had asked to speak to Mr Harris but made the threat when the writer was unavailable. "

Likely because Harris was making the call himself:)

blinding

"Security staff at Independent newspapers said the caller had asked to speak to Mr Harris but made the threat when the writer was unavailable. "

Likely because Harris was making the call himself:)
The caller probably threatened to read ; Harris’s column to the Independent’s staff . Which was both cruel and unusual . No way Staff would be able to handle that .

Glaucon

His latest offering is standard Harris. Even when writing an obituary, he can't refrain from attacking Nationalism or engaging in self-praise and, simultaneously, cloying self-pity from the very first paragraph:

The tributes to Niall Toibin, like those to Gay Byrne, neglected the aspect of their character I admired most: their courage, contempt for naff nationalism, and generally good politics.

Good politics was at the core of the RTE scripts I wrote for Toibin: The Testimony of James Connolly (1968) and the satirical series If the Cap Fits (1973) and Time Now Mr T (1977).

Naturally, nobody in RTE called me to share my memories of him last week - airbrushing awkward critics being part of Montrose's peculiar notion of public service broadcasting.

Last edited:

Buchaill Dana

Harris's eulogies are 'met the fella once in work, despite what he said snd did, he happens to share my current political stance'.

He gets paid for this shit.

jmcc

Is that clip of where Harris called the 1916 leaders "suicide bombers" still around?

Ardillaun

His latest offering is standard Harris. Even when writing an obituary, he can't refrain from attacking Nationalism or engaging in self-praise and, simultaneously, cloying self-pity from the very first paragraph:
The dead are easy to recruit to any cause. Harris should be prohibited from writing about them.

jmcc

If only the Soviet Union hadn't fallen, Harris could have been Kommissar Harris in charge of the glorious people's soviet republic of Harrisland. Apparently the little man had modeled himself on Stalin complete with the moustache. Apparently he has a writer's credit on that series "The Big Bow Wow". :)

Glaucon

One cannot forget this historical gem from Corporal Harris:

MARY Harney says hard things. This might seem risky in a society where politicians say soft things. In fact, it is the secret of her success. Irish people put a premium on moral courage simply because it is such a scarce commodity in this country.
They told you George Bush would go mad instead he showed cool and cleverness in putting together a complex coalition of fighting forces. They told you that bombing would not work, but it broke the Taliban, just as it broke Slobodan Milosevic. They told you the Taliban would fight to the finish, but beating women turned out to be poor training for bearing up under B52 bombers.

Has he ever been right about anything?

New Threads

Most Replies