Opera Centre Watch

statsman

It's starting to move at last:

Opera site project is on the move

THE biggest inner-city commercial development outside of the capital has moved closer to construction with the start of a non-statutory consultation on the flagship Opera Site development in the heart of Limerick.

In the final step before a planning application is lodged with An Bord Pleanála in the coming weeks, Limerick Twenty Thirty, on behalf of Limerick City and County Council, has begun the final round of public consultation.

This includes placing documentation for the fully-funded development on its own and the local authority’s websites – Limerick 2030 | A City on the Rise and This is Limerick | Limerick.ie

A Voice

It's an office and shopping development.

That said, I like a bit of Verdi.
:laugh:

I definitely should have read the link in the OP, shouldn't I?

:redface:

(Although in fairness to me nothing in the quote says shopping centre. "Commercial" could cover an opera house, just about!)

statsman

:laugh:

I definitely should have read the link in the OP, shouldn't I?

:redface:

(Although in fairness to me nothing in the quote says shopping centre. "Commercial" could cover an opera house, just about!)
It could, though opera tends to be more subsidised than commercial. :D

A Voice

It could, though opera tends to be more subsidised than commercial. :D
Absolutely. I was thinking, there's no way an opera house will be commercially viable! Covent Garden costs the British taxpayer an absolute fortune.

statsman

Absolutely. I was thinking, there's no way an opera house will be commercially viable! Covent Garden costs the British taxpayer an absolute fortune.
Still, I'm sure Jacob Rees Mogg thinks it's worth every penny.

The OD

My take would be that retail is dying so without sufficient retail units to drive footfall would it be viable?

Could end up like the grim Irish Life mall!

statsman

My take would be that retail is dying so without sufficient retail units to drive footfall would it be viable?

Only about 10% is going to be retail, much of that food and drink/entertainment. It's going to be about 60% offices, plus the country's biggest public library, other educational stuff, and 15% residential. The idea is a space for work during the day and fun at night.

Levellers

There's a very small history of opera in Ireland. The best teaching of opera happens in Dublin.

Dublin couldn't support a small opera theatre a few years back and there are plenty of small musical venues that could used for opera performances.

The OD

Only about 10% is going to be retail, much of that food and drink/entertainment. It's going to be about 60% offices, plus the country's biggest public library, other educational stuff, and 15% residential. The idea is a space for work during the day and fun at night.
Silly, I guess, for assuming a large proportion would be retail!

Seems like a sound plan so - I have a feeling that no matter what happens, online dining will never take off.

Socratus O' Pericles

If it's the new Irish Life Mall it's dead in the water if it's the new Dundrum TC they'll be coining it. There's traffic jams all around Dundrum for the next 5 weeks morning to midnight.

Clanrickard

Badly needed. Limerick City Centre is turning into a ghost town.

statsman

There's a very small history of opera in Ireland. The best teaching of opera happens in Dublin.

Dublin couldn't support a small opera theatre a few years back and there are plenty of small musical venues that could used for opera performances.
You definitely didn't click the link. :D

'orebel

I'm betting it gets finished before the events centre in Cork.

Of course, that's assuming BAM aren't building it.

statsman

If it's the new Irish Life Mall it's dead in the water if it's the new Dundrum TC they'll be coining it. There's traffic jams all around Dundrum for the next 5 weeks morning to midnight.
Limerick already has its Dundrum out in the Crescent, complete with traffic jams all round. This is more of an office/nightlife combo more or less bang in the heart of the city.

Levellers

You definitely didn't click the link. :D
I did read the link and assumed (after also assuming it was also about an opera theatre) that the lack of mention was because they hadn't thought it through.

I see no point in that name though.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies