Opera Centre Watch

statsman

I'm betting it gets finished before the events centre in Cork.

Of course, that's assuming BAM aren't building it.
Still nothing happening there?

statsman

Well, the Barber of Seville could be next door to Tesco

It's nice to see a few MNCs among all the chain stores.
I'm thinking Cosi fan Tutte as a local version of Ann Summers.

Socratus O' Pericles

Figaro's Dating Agency, anyone?

locke

My take would be that retail is dying so without sufficient retail units to drive footfall would it be viable?

Could end up like the grim Irish Life mall!
I tend to feel that when we see the impact of online on retail that we are best off looking at the US, where the online offering is more developed than it is here.

The experience there is that it has devastated out-of-town malls and retail big box development. City centres have proved remarkably resilient. Because of the nature of the buildings in central areas, they find it much easier to reinvent themselves. Also the existing users of out-of-town locations are prioritising convenience and online beats them in this regard.

I strongly suspect that we will start seeing a lot of the suburban shopping centres and retail parks struggling here over the next 15 years. These could actually provide excellent locations to build needed housing (although this could be started already if their wasteful surface level car parks were covered in apartment blocks and the parking shifted to multi-storeys).

statsman

I tend to feel that when we see the impact of online on retail that we are best off looking at the US, where the online offering is more developed than it is here.

The experience there is that it has devastated out-of-town malls and retail big box development. City centres have proved remarkably resilient. Because of the nature of the buildings in central areas, they find it much easier to reinvent themselves. Also the existing users of out-of-town locations are prioritising convenience and online beats them in this regard.

I strongly suspect that we will start seeing a lot of the suburban shopping centres and retail parks struggling here over the next 15 years. These could actually provide excellent locations to build needed housing (although this could be started already if their wasteful surface level car parks were covered in apartment blocks and the parking shifted to multi-storeys).
Well, if you look at Limerick, the Parkway and Parkway Valley, Jetlands, Castletroy Town Centre and Childers Road all have empty units, some of them a long time empty. Coonagh Cross was never finished, and Arthur's Quay is depressing. Of these, Childers Road is the only one that seems to be really booming, and of course the Crescent is mad busy and the most likely to prosper long term. The others I'm not so confident about.

Clanrickard

Well, if you look at Limerick, the Parkway and Parkway Valley, Jetlands, Castletroy Town Centre and Childers Road all have empty units, some of them a long time empty. Coonagh Cross was never finished, and Arthur's Quay is depressing. Of these, Childers Road is the only one that seems to be really booming, and of course the Crescent is mad busy and the most likely to prosper long term. The others I'm not so confident about.
The Jetland does ok. Very little in it and large catchment area.

A Voice

It was interesting to hear this morning that IKEA are closing 17 (?) out-of-town units worldwide but that they expect to move into city centres "in line with changing retail patterns".

The OD

If it's the new Irish Life Mall it's dead in the water if it's the new Dundrum TC they'll be coining it. There's traffic jams all around Dundrum for the next 5 weeks morning to midnight.
Went there once. Over an hour queuing to get in and couldn't get out fast enough. I have been in the evening though, some nice restaurants (well there were around 2013 or so?)

publicrealm

Childers Road has a better mix than most retail warehouse parks.

I see the Castletroy Shopping Centre has just been refused permission for a major expansion, in order to safeguard city centre retail. Better late than never I suppose.

statsman

Childers Road has a better mix than most retail warehouse parks.

I see the Castletroy Shopping Centre has just been refused permission for a major expansion, in order to safeguard city centre retail. Better late than never I suppose.
Living, as I do, a little over a mile away, I am delighted. It was a ridiculous plan.

'orebel

Socratus O' Pericles

Went there once. Over an hour queuing to get in and couldn't get out fast enough. I have been in the evening though, some nice restaurants (well there were around 2013 or so?)
There's a nice Portuguese place there

gatsbygirl20

The Jetland does ok. Very little in it and large catchment area.
The Jetland used to be a dance hall back in the day. A guy brought me there once when I was visiting Limerick as a young teenager

What has it been turned into? I bet there's a Starbucks

Lagertha

There's a very small history of opera in Ireland. The best teaching of opera happens in Dublin.

Dublin couldn't support a small opera theatre a few years back and there are plenty of small musical venues that could used for opera performances.
I recently attended the Catherine Hayes bicentennial in St Mary's Cathedral in Limerick, she was a Limerick born opera singer who lived in a house where the opera site development is and traveled the world performing. The event was well attended and it's a shame that there aren't more opera events in Limerick. Ireland will never have an opera season that rivals Italy or London but there is plenty of scope for improvement.

stakerwallace

The Jetland used to be a dance hall back in the day. A guy brought me there once when I was visiting Limerick as a young teenager

What has it been turned into? I bet there's a Starbucks
Dunnes Stores and a few other shops : not the best by any means.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies