• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

Peppermint

Polls are no more than a game.
They serve only one purpose, media.
The only ones who see them, the media, the only ones who care about them, the media.
The small fact that they have shown to be blatantly wrong, just seems to wash over those reporting them?

politirak

The media establishment are hardly gonna want to be reminding people that the shinners are up two polls in a row. If it was the other way around however, it would be headline news !

making waves

My daughter was polled by Red C during the week. When they asked for her voting intentions they listed FF, FG, LP, GP and others. She said AAA-PBP and the response was ‘okay others so’.

freewillie

The media establishment are hardly gonna want to be reminding people that the shinners are up two polls in a row. If it was the other way around however, it would be headline news !
Thats right. The whole world revolves around the shinners

eoghanacht

Only relevant if getting close to an election IMV. Even then they don't sway me one way or another.

Anyway I always thought they were poles. :p
That's mad, you'd let a pole "sway" you?

What like "I have principles, if you don't like them I have more"? ;)

eoghanacht

Socratus O' Pericles

Polls are no more than a game.
They serve only one purpose, media.
The only ones who see them, the media, the only ones who care about them, the media.
The small fact that they have shown to be blatantly wrong, just seems to wash over those reporting them?
The ones for the POTUS are all over the place. The last UK General Election and Brexit ones were plain wrong.

the reputation of British political polling has taken a hit to rival that of the pound.

After last year’s General Election saw pollsters fail miserably to get anywhere close to predicting the right result, many political commentators and followers had already begun to lose faith in polling.

By D-Day this year the result seemed too close to call, though slightly in favour of Remain. Even this cautious guess was wrong.

Leave won by four percentage points and pollsters have got the result wrong again.
How right or wrong were the polls about the EU referendum?

wombat

The ones for the POTUS are all over the place. The last UK General Election and Brexit ones were plain wrong.
Its likely that polling companies have checked their sampling methods, if they get a representative sample, they will get accurate results on a simple question but it looks like they got their regional spread wrong for Brexit. I just don't see the point in asking people how they would vote in an election which is not going to happen but its not my money so I don't really care.

midlander12

How right or wrong were the polls about the EU referendum?
Well no, the EU referendum polls towards the end all showed 51/49 or 52/48 one way or another, and almost as many were showing Leave as Remain. Either way they were all within 3-4% of the actual result. The fact that the cognoscenti chose to interpret that as predicting a Remain victory is hardly the polls' fault.

Certainly the last UK GE polls were wrong, as they were in 1970 and 1992, in all cases failing to predict a clear Tory lead over Labour. Certainly there are questions re methodology here - apparently in 2015 they were interviewing too many young respondents and too few old, considering the relative likelihood to vote of each group.

In the US, the national polls vary quite a lot but given the size of the electorate you'd have to query whether such a poll is even a good idea. The national result is of course irrelevant - ask Al Gore. The all-important swing state polls, however, have in fact been fairly consistent in the past few weeks, all showing a distinct narrowing of the gap, with Trump now leading in a number of swing states and Clinton holding on to a slight lead in the rest.

milipod

My daughter was polled by Red C during the week. When they asked for her voting intentions they listed FF, FG, LP, GP and others. She said AAA-PBP and the response was ‘okay others so’.
Red C dirty bastard.

an innocent abroad

The Polls, like the Terms of Reference of government into investigation, are already setup for the results and outcomes.

Nobody trusts Polls, or government "Terms of Reference"....As outcome, given limited responses is already decided!!!!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom