Opinions on tattoos. Are you for or against?

The Rahenyite

This was a debate on Claire Byrne a number of months ago and I'm asking you the people of Politics.ie for your opinion on tattoos. While what a person does with their body is their own business I personally can't stand them and think they are going too far these days with full sleeve tattoos, neck tattoos and even tattoos going up to the knuckles on fingers. Premier League footballers are setting a bad example. I blame David Beckham for starting the trend in football! I don't have a problem with small tattoos that aren't always on show like on the hips, ankles or high up on the arms nearly bordering the sholder but sleeve tattoos are going too far.

A study not too long found 73% employers surveyed would be hesitate to employ someone who has 'excessive tattoos'.
https://www.independent.ie/life/the-tattoo-doesnt-make-the-person-irelands-young-professionals-on-their-dedication-to-tattoos-and-the-barriers-theyve-faced-because-of-it-36065341.html

Clips of the Claire Byrne debate https://www.collegetimes.com/news/irish-columnist-disgusted-tattoos-145877

Dame_Enda

I think theres a stereotype linking tatoos to gangs which is not always fair.

The Rahenyite

I think theres a stereotype linking tatoos to gangs which is not always fair.
Well anytime I see those prison documentaries the inmates always seem to have tattoos.

Dame_Enda

I don't think that really exists anymore at least as regards people under thirty.
It does in the US though (e.g. MS13, The Cribs, Aryan Brotherhood) and a lot of employment in Ireland is by US multinationals for whom it might or might not be an issue.

StarryPlough01

Have you watched the tv series Blindspot?

Blindspot (TV Series 2015

[video=youtube;biSRZM1NLDs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biSRZM1NLDs[/video]

The Rahenyite

I went to a certain barber shop for the first and last time a few months. Nearly all the staff including the person cutting my hair had excessive tattoos and so did most of the waiting customers. Add to that a near 40 minute wait on a Saturday afternoon and the guy disappearing for a minute while cutting my hair to talk to a friend without saying sorry once.

GDPR

Anyone who puts a tattoo where in the normal run of daily events it can be seen is a bit of a thick.

It's not the tattoo per se that marks you out, it's the stupidity.

StarryPlough01

Large tattoos on women are a big off for me.

I was in a restaurant and noticed a beautiful young woman who was covered in them. Lots of cultures have tattoos. I haven't got any inks.

former wesleyan

Anyone who puts a tattoo where in the normal run of daily events it can be seen is a bit of a thick.

It's not the tattoo per se that marks you out, it's the stupidity.
Fancy giving Sonny Bill Williamson a piece of your mind ?

*EPIC SUCCESS*

Well anytime I see those prison documentaries the inmates always seem to have tattoos.
Trousers too.

I must keep an eye on my betrousered colleagues.

In terms of tattoos, once they might have been a sign of a certain type of person but one of my most productive employees has them to his knuckles and on as far as his ''beard line'' on his neck and is a gentle, artistic guy happily married with a few kids. I've met his wife and she has none visible herself though.

I myself wouldn't have any interest in getting one and I do wonder how much they think it through but generally I judge people on what they do in the main. However, I would be conscious of customer facing staff having an excessive amount of them on display but even then it would not disqualify solely on that basis.

Catalpast

This was a debate on Claire Byrne a number of months ago and I'm asking you the people of Politics.ie for your opinion on tattoos. While what a person does with their body is their own business I personally can't stand them and think they are going too far these days with full sleeve tattoos, neck tattoos and even tattoos going up to the knuckles on fingers. Premier League footballers are setting a bad example. I blame David Beckham for starting the trend in football! I don't have a problem with small tattoos that aren't always on show like on the hips, ankles or high up on the arms nearly bordering the sholder but sleeve tattoos are going too far.

A study not too long found 73% employers surveyed would be hesitate to employ someone who has 'excessive tattoos'.
https://www.independent.ie/life/the-tattoo-doesnt-make-the-person-irelands-young-professionals-on-their-dedication-to-tattoos-and-the-barriers-theyve-faced-because-of-it-36065341.html

Clips of the Claire Byrne debate https://www.collegetimes.com/news/irish-columnist-disgusted-tattoos-145877
Did they show us Claire's 1 ?......:cool:

Analyzer

Tatoos are a real hindrance in both getting a job. And in getting promoted within a job. I presume that there is a psychology based reason for this. Though not all tattoo bedecked candidates are necessarily irresponsible. It might have something to do with probability of incurrence.

The Rahenyite

I myself wouldn't have any interest in getting one and I do wonder how much they think it through but generally I judge people on what they do in the main. However, I would be conscious of customer facing staff having an excessive amount of them on display but even then it would not disqualify solely on that basis.
Not being enforced anymore it seems. When I worked for Marks And Spencer 9 years ago the contract said you couldn't have tattoos on show but when I was recently in another retailer, Super Valu Killester, I saw a young man with a full sleeve tattoo on show plus there was that barber shop I mentioned tho barber shops seem an extension of the hipster community these days.

The Rahenyite

Meh, they're just another part of the Millennial uniform aren't they?

The checklist is:

Pour homme

Unkempt shaggy beard
NHS old style glasses
Skinny jeans
Tattoos pretty much anywhere

Pour femme

50's style headscarf
skinny jeans
NHS old style glasses
Hair is usually dyed to look like they need a root job
Tattoos pretty much anywhere

I don't really care one way or the other, it's not my body. It's sad to see so many beautiful dresses ruined by awful tattoos though. It's kind of funny to think of all the future octogenarians there'll be with saggy faded tattoos.
Indeed. I reckon in 20 or 30 years the tattoo removal business will be doing very well when people aged in their teens and 20s now realise how silly they look in their 40s and 50s with saggy and faded tattoos on their winkled bodies.

Dame_Enda

I personally am okay with tattoos though as I said its a matter of taste probably for employers. But what I don't like is when a minority completely tattoo their face, sometimes ruining their looks.

The Rahenyite

This article is from 3 years but it was mentioned on the Claire Byrne debate that the tattoo industry in Ireland isn't properly regulated Tattoo and piercing industry regulation under review - because there's none right now

Also The Guardian state tattoo ink has cancer causing ink https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2016/sep/28/tattoo-ink-cancer-regulation

The best footballer in the world Cristiano Ronaldo doesn't have any tattoos as he donates blood regularly https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/4975627/cristiano-ronaldo-give-blood-real-madrid/

Ellen Ripley

Indeed. I reckon in 20 or 30 years the tattoo removal business will be doing very well when people aged in their teens and 20s now realise how silly they look in their 40s and 50s with saggy and faded tattoos on their winkled bodies.
Don't people get sick of them long before then?

Not my business, but I don't see tattoos and multiple piercings as 'Body Art' and self-expression, but self-disfigurement of the naffest kind.

New Threads

Most Replies