• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Opposing Irish identities

Schomberg

Bare with me here folks, this is more of a "thinking aloud" thread rather that me trying to make a point. Just seeing if anyone could point me in the direction of more information about this.

Anyway, I've an interest in peoples "identities", Irish ones naturally are a big draw for me but while browsing around YouTube I was reminded about the Irish identity that was (?) largely created by either Irish people abroad or just people abroad, you know, the fighting Irish type, the hard nosed, warrior type. It all revolves around being "tough" with little else except a homely looking maiden (Hiberina) stroking a harp somewhere and she's what you need to fight for. Looking around at American Civil War stories but Irish Confederate gangs or Union troops, Irish born British soldiers all over the globe, WWI posters aimed at an Irish audience (at home and abroad) etc. This identity seems in stark contrast to the downtrodden, discriminated Irishman, isolationist (pre war USA style) the Gaelic Farmer/Volkish identity which was the identity pushed by the Nationalist movement later on and which to some degree still is the one that we'd more readily associate with Ireland

Now, I know right off the bat me posting this means some people will play the man, not the ball. I'm not looking for an argument, political point scoring, fukk da ra etc I'm not saying one is great and the other isn't. Both seemed deeply flawed and shallow to me. But I'm just wondering if anyone has anything to add, was there other periods where some other agenda was pushed? How do both these sorts of identities affect the people in how they see themselves and their country?

again, sorry, it's a bit here and there and a bit bare on the sort of indepth anayalsis that I'd like, but just thinking a loud.

Levellers

Nothing is set in concrete - everything changes in time as conditions and contact effect alterations.

EUrJokingMeRight

Once it was romantic to fight for a cause, now it is scorned upon to even inform the waitress that your overpriced dinner is stone cold.

Gaels have been displaced by MacDummies.

Schomberg

Thinking of embracing your inner Gael? :)
Nah ;)

Just find the two things really interesting. I mean the identity of people (usually of Irish extraction) outside of Ireland and those generally in Ireland, both are almost polar opposites of each other. Just would be interested to know if someone has the ins and outs of how these things formed themselves.

Schomberg

Nothing is set in concrete - everything changes in time as conditions and contact effect alterations.
Well yeah, I suppose. Circumstance can dictate how people view themselves too and in times gone by, with momentus events such as World War One, the Irish nationalist movement etc, identities get wrapped up in the atmosphere. Makes you wonder where it's going. Personally, even though I find both the identities I mentioned in the OP flawed, a mixture of the two isn't bad.