Opposition views on Stag Hunting

goosebump

I didn't actually realise that FG had caved in to the West Brits and RISE lunatics, and will repeal any laws allowing domestic animals to be released into the wild and hunted through housing estates and schools.

Fine Gael promises to defend stag hunting: ThePost.ie

Nor did I realise that Labour are fudging the issue.

Proposed stag hunting legislation defended - The Irish Times - Wed, Feb 24, 2010

So much for a 'progressive' alternative to the current Government.

What other nuggets of populism are they storing up for us?

Supermanpolitician

West Brit? That is becoming the P.ie equivalent of Godwin's law. We also plan to allow hunting of crusties and men who have never developed a pair of balls!
:)

Edo

Getting a bit desperate Goosebump eh?

believe it or not - outside the West-Brit Green zone of South Dublin and other enclaves - the whole green agenda on Rural Ireland is viewed with deep suspicion and increasing anger and the stag hunt is just seen as the thin end of the wedge - around my area nearly 1 in 2 people are employed in the equine industry both directly and indirectly and the Greens are hated - and seen as a massive threat both to the prosperity and the rural way of life.

If anything Fine Gael is just representing the true feelings of their constituents.

Also in the 2007 General Election - the Fianna Failers went around to nearly every Farmhouse in the country saying "Vote Fine Gael - get the Greens" - something that cost us nearly 10 seats in my belief.We wont be giving them that chance again

Thats the problem with small ideological parties Goosebump - you have no idea that the majority view in your own little world is far from representative of what the population believes in general.

Supermanpolitician

Getting a bit desperate Goosebump eh?

believe it or not - outside the West-Brit Green zone of South Dublin and other enclaves - the whole green agenda on Rural Ireland is viewed with deep suspicion and increasing anger and the stag hunt is just seen as the thin end of the wedge - around my area nearly 1 in 2 people are employed in the equine industry both directly and indirectly and the Greens are hated - and seen as a massive threat both to the prosperity and the rural way of life.

If anything Fine Gael is just representing the true feelings of their constituents.

Also in the 2007 General Election - the Fianna Failers went around to nearly every Farmhouse in the country saying "Vote Fine Gael - get the Greens" - something that cost us nearly 10 seats in my belief.We wont be giving them that chance again

Thats the problem with small ideological parties Goosebump - you have no idea that the majority view in your own little world is far from representative of what the population believes in general.
Green Party ideological? So saying it is ok for a politician who has been caught trying to quash a criminal conviction to hold a seat is ideological? :)

TradCat

Did the Irish not hunt before the British arrived? Or were we buying our meat in Dunnes?

Trying to attach the Brit label to hunting is the worst kind of rabble rousing. It works the other way too by the way. When Greenies want to cut down on one-off housing they get the West Brit treatment.

It's the last refuge of those who can't debate an issue on its merits.

consultant

Green Party ideological? So saying it is ok for a politician who has been caught trying to quash a criminal conviction to hold a seat is ideological? :)
With the greens, I think the word is ideo -illogical.

Mind you, there isn't much stag-hunting in D4 these days.
(Surprised Labour is against the ban, though!!!)

eoghanacht

What merit is there to be found in racing around the country side after animals?

Asparagus

How come the greens are against Stag Hunting but support Stagg Baiting?

"With all due respect, in the most unparliamentary language, f--k you, Deputy Stagg, f--k you."

Asparagus

What merit is there to be found in racing around the country side after animals?

It is a rural tradition.
It encourages the preservation of the animals and controls their numbers.
Without it they would be considered vermin by farmers and poisoned.
Without it the dogs would be put down as they are not needed as pets.

Supermanpolitician

With the greens, I think the word is ideo -illogical.

Mind you, there isn't much stag-hunting in D4 these days.
(Surprised Labour is against the ban, though!!!)
Actually I used to live in D4. The vast majority of folks there have no particular view on stag hunting or any other pursuits. I know D4 is sometimes used as an adjective to describe people frmo Gormley who are disconnected from rural Ireland,but the vast majority of the folks there are very nice and decent. Less than 1 in 7 gave Gormley a 1st pref.

Don't tar D4! :)

Supermanpolitician

What merit can be found in racing around a field after a synthetic ball? What nerit can be found in playing a game of cards? What merit can be found in having a beer? What merit can be found in watching soap operas?

It's personal taste when it comes to fun.

consultant

Actually I used to live in D4. The vast majority of folks there have no particular view on stag hunting or any other pursuits. I know D4 is sometimes used as an adjective to describe people frmo Gormley who are disconnected from rural Ireland,but the vast majority of the folks there are very nice and decent. Less than 1 in 7 gave Gormley a 1st pref.

Don't tar D4! :)
How diabolical - green tar!!

OceanFrog

What merit can be found in racing around a field after a synthetic ball? What nerit can be found in playing a game of cards? What merit can be found in having a beer? What merit can be found in watching soap operas?

It's personal taste when it comes to fun.
To compare the torture and killing of an animal to having a beer says a lot about you. People like you who believe it's "fun" to hunt animals deserve derision.

That one post just goes to show there is no difference between FG and FF. It makes the Greens look very good indeed on this issue. And I say that as someone who has been ultra-critical of the Green Party, and received huge amounts of abuse from Green Party supporters for my opinions and my blog.

SupermanPolitician, I say this as someone who previously thought you spoke some amount of sense on these boards. I have lost all respect I once had for you.

Cassandra Syndrome

I didn't actually realise that FG had caved in to the West Brits and RISE lunatics, and will repeal any laws allowing domestic animals to be released into the wild and hunted through housing estates and schools.

Fine Gael promises to defend stag hunting: ThePost.ie

Nor did I realise that Labour are fudging the issue.

Proposed stag hunting legislation defended - The Irish Times - Wed, Feb 24, 2010

So much for a 'progressive' alternative to the current Government.

What other nuggets of populism are they storing up for us?
If there are west brits about Ireland now, its the Guardian reading, liberal hypocritical nauseating dinner party loving, eco fascist imperialistic Green Party. I never viewed FG as west brit, more very pro Europe, but thats for another thread. The Green Party are very much aligned to the feudal system and are out of control and should be humanely put down.

OceanFrog

If there are west brits about Ireland now, its the Guardian reading, liberal hypocritical nauseating dinner party loving, eco fascist imperialistic Green Party. I never viewed FG as west brit, more very pro Europe, but thats for another thread. The Green Party are very much aligned to the feudal system and are out of control and should be humanely put down.
I don't disagree with that, but you have to admit the Green Party have done something good in this one instance.

consultant

No. After what they have done in power, I would prefer to see them hunted into oblivion - forget the 'humane' bit.

Asparagus

SupermanPolitician, I say this as someone who previously thought you spoke some amount of sense on these boards. I have lost all respect I once had for you.
So rather than disagree or respect his opinion and maintain your own, you think it is rational to lose all respect for the man?

Cassandra Syndrome

I don't disagree with that, but you have to admit the Green Party have done something good in this one instance.
I do love animals and couldn't stomach the sight of a hunt, but there are horrible events that still happen locally that were banned years ago such as cockfighting. These events will be pushed underground and become more violent and disturbing.

Also I fear that the eco fascists have it in for the Horse racing industry.

OceanFrog

So rather than disagree or respect his opinion and maintain your own, you think it is rational to lose all respect for the man?
Yes, why not?

I have no respect for someone who compares torturing and killing animals to having a beer. And I never will have.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies