• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

"Orange and proud" - Volvic drops marketing campaign - unionists are upset....and it's raining....again.

Enigma Variations

"Orange and proud" - Volvic drops marketing campaign - unionists are upset....and it's raining....again.

Drinks company Volvic axes advert with slogan 'orange and proud' over fears it could offend Catholics - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk
Drinks manufacturing company Volvic have dropped an advertising campaign based around an attractive female red-head & the slogan "Orange and proud". Fears that it would be associated with the Orange Order, and therefore offensive to Catholics have resulted in the campaign being pulled in Ireland and Scotland. Tom Elliott, Nelson McCausland & Jim Alister have, rather predictably, reacted crossly to the decision.
This of course has echoes of another marketing kerfuffle in 2013 when Kia unveiled a special model at a Swiss motor show conditionally named "Provo" which actually prompted Gregory Campbell to initiate a House of Commons motion on the issue.
Kia 'won't sell Provo car in UK' - BBC News
Anyone who knows anything about the world of corporate marketing will immediately understand that it is acutely anxious to avoid stirring up local sensitivities with ambiguous advertising. Indeed the famous "The Future's Bright, The Future's Orange" mobile phone campaign is occasionally cited in marketing seminars as an example of the sort of unintentional gaffe that the industry tries so hard to avoid. Having said that, I don't remember any negative reaction from nationalist politicians as a result of that campaign.
International Marketing Blunders
It is therefore hardly a shock that Volvic have pulled the campaign here and I'd have thought that the correct reaction to this would have been mild amusement, rather than getting hot and bothered about it, à la Tom & co.
I just wish that our local politicians would show a little bit more maturity more often rather than taking offence at something so trivial as a drinks company being sensitive to local circumstances. :)

Last edited:

between the bridges

Translation: Themuns....

Roy Feen

A spokesman for the Grand Lodge of Ireland denounced Danone's position as "ridiculous, bizarre and inconsistent".
That has to be one of the most hilarious lines I've read in a news article in quite some time.

blokesbloke

LOL I wondered if that would happen when I saw the ad on a poster locally, I thought of P.ie immediately.

I suppose it's progress when this is the biggest issue we've all got to worry about.

Still, I remember the famous "The future's bright" ads from the 1990s and I was a stupid kid then and P.ie didn't exist, but even I thought at the time "Bet that'll go down well in NI!".

How can highly-paid marketing executives continually get this so wrong if a stupid youth spotted the issue back then and it's used a textbook example now?

Thick load of twáts in adland, clearly.

Last edited:

Novos

Translation: Themuns....
Translation. Clever bit of marketing by Volvic as long as you don't examine it too deeply.
The message is basically, "Look what nice responsible people we are". But it makes Catholics look like a bunch of dim easily offended buffoons and all to get free extra coverage in the media. A marketing company who would be well aware of the Orange Telecoms campaign have come up with this, and have come up with the "let's make us look like good responsible people" add on as well.

I don't remember anyone being offended at the hugely successful Orange Telecoms campaign.
From Wiki...
"The Orange brand, at the time an unusual name for a telecommunications firm, was created by an internal team at Microtel headed by Chris Moss (Marketing Director) and supported by Martin Keogh, Rob Furness and Ian Pond. The brand consultancy Wolff Olins was charged with designing the brand values and logo and advertising agency WCRS created the Orange slogan "The future's bright, the future's Orange". The team that launched Orange in the UK was led by Malcolm Way, and later Hans Snook who became the Chief Executive.

A holding company structure was adopted in 1995 with the establishment of Orange plc. In April 1996, Orange went public and floated on the London Stock Exchange and NASDAQ,[5] majority owned by Hutchison (48.22%),[6][7] followed by BAe (21.1%).[5] In June 1996, it became the youngest company to enter the FTSE 100, valued at £2.4 billion. And by July 1997 Orange had gained one million customers.

Acquisition of Orange and part of France Télécom: 1999–2009[edit]
Further information: Orange (telecommunications) § History, and Orange Business Services § History
The stint as a public company came to an end in October 1999, when it was acquired for US$33 Billion by the German conglomerate Mannesmann AG"

Irish-Rationalist

Apparently those Kia Provo cars were booby-trapped, and the Volvic Orange campaign is clearly as distasteful as the Provo campaign.

Enigma Variations

LOL I wondered if that would happen when I saw the ad on a poster locally, I thought of P.ie immediately.

I suppose it's progress when this is the biggest issue we've all got to worry about it.

Still, I remember the famous "The future's bright" ads from the 1990s and I was a stupid kid then and P.ie didn't exist, but even I thought at the time "Bet that'll go down well in NI!".

How can highly-paid marketing executives continually get this so wrong if a stupid youth spotted the issue back then and it's used a textbook example now?

Thick load of twáts in adland, clearly.
Oddly, or maybe simply because nationalists are rather more mature about these things, I don't recall anyone being offended by the Orange phone campaign.
I know that my own reaction at the time was one of mild amusement. It wouldn't have stopped me buying an Orange phone if they had offered a decent service in my area at the time, but as it happens both Orange and T Mobile (now merged as EE) were notoriously bad back then.
One of these days, a unionist politician, on being contacted by some hack looking for a story angle on one of these non-stories, is going to feel a lightbulb going on inside his head, and rather than allow himself to be reeled in, the penny will drop that the correct reaction might be: "Look, this isn't going to change my constituents' lives one way or another, and it is not my job to be offended or make comments about a marketing story. Go away."
Then unionism will have grown up.
:)

Se0samh

Oddly, or maybe simply because nationalists are rather more mature about these things, I don't recall anyone being offended by the Orange phone campaign.
I know that my own reaction at the time was one of mild amusement. It wouldn't have stopped me buying an Orange phone if they had offered a decent service in my area at the time, but as it happens both Orange and T Mobile (now merged as EE) were notoriously bad back then.
One of these days, a unionist politician, on being contacted by some hack looking for a story angle on one of these non-stories, is going to feel a lightbulb going on inside his head, and rather than allow himself to be reeled in, the penny will drop that the correct reaction might be: "Look, this isn't going to change my constituents' lives one way or another, and it is not my job to be offended or make comments about a marketing story. Go away."
Then unionism will have grown up.
:)
:rolleyes:

GDPR

I think only way to make the Unionist community in general mature is to force daily classes in school in the Higher Western Musical tradition and Classical (Plato and Aristotle- not Ryle and Derrida) Philosophy.

Last edited:

former wesleyan

I get up at six o'clock and walk ten miles to buy my Volvic.

eoghanacht

P.ie always at the vanguard of real, life effecting news!

Se0samh

Se0samh

I think only way to make the Unionist community in general mature is to force daily classes in school in the Higher Western Musical tradition and Classical (Plato and Aristotle- not Ryle and Derrida) Philosophy.

Why do you say that? ;)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies