Orange culture and being a "Good man"

McSlaggart

The show "who do you think you are" has yet again had a "famous" person looking back into their ancestors and have used an "Orange man" as the low point in the family tree.

BBC iPlayer - Who Do You Think You Are? - Series 14: 5. Emma Willis

"“I come from good people,” said Willis, “and I feel like I’ve found somebody who wasn’t so good.” Would this local enforcer of the Orange supremacy have stayed his hand had he known that, more than two centuries later, he would be disowned on national television by the presenter of The Voice? One for what-if historians to ponder.

Happily for Willis, a granddaughter of this undesirable ancestor righted the wrong by marrying a pioneering Catholic stonemason and a protector of workers’ rights. “So he was a good man?” she asked one of the show’s walk-on genealogical researchers hopefully.

Michael Kirwan put his name to a subscription for the statue of Daniel O’Connell, the proselytiser for Irish self-rule. “I kind of feel like I take a little bit of the credit for it,” mused Willis at its foot in Dublin’s main street. She came across as a good person herself. But Who Do You Think You Are? does bring out the solipsist."
Who Do You Think You Are? Emma Willis was searching in earnest for noble (and nice) ancestors - review 

Levellers

The poor girl. Finding out you had that kind of Black Sheep in the family.

GDPR

The show "who do you think you are" has yet again had a "famous" person looking back into their ancestors and have used an "Orange man" as the low point in the family tree.

BBC iPlayer - Who Do You Think You Are? - Series 14: 5. Emma Willis

"“I come from good people,” said Willis, “and I feel like I’ve found somebody who wasn’t so good.” Would this local enforcer of the Orange supremacy have stayed his hand had he known that, more than two centuries later, he would be disowned on national television by the presenter of The Voice? One for what-if historians to ponder.

Happily for Willis, a granddaughter of this undesirable ancestor righted the wrong by marrying a pioneering Catholic stonemason and a protector of workers’ rights. “So he was a good man?” she asked one of the show’s walk-on genealogical researchers hopefully.

Michael Kirwan put his name to a subscription for the statue of Daniel O’Connell, the proselytiser for Irish self-rule. “I kind of feel like I take a little bit of the credit for it,” mused Willis at its foot in Dublin’s main street. She came across as a good person herself. But Who Do You Think You Are? does bring out the solipsist."
Who Do You Think You Are? Emma Willis was searching in earnest for noble (and nice) ancestors - review 
Daniel O'Connell wasn't in favour of Home Rule and was very much opposed to Republican separatism.

Also it is really the Duke of Wellington who should take most of the credit for Catholic emancipation. Daniel O'Connell comes very much down the list.

vivabrigada

I missed that, was there any riding of goats?

CastleRay

She presents Big Brother, she's the one that interviews the housemates when they get evicted. I've often thought she looks very Irish.
Do Irish people have a distinct look from anyone else in these islands?

Nordie Northsider

Daniel O'Connell wasn't in favour of Home Rule and was very much opposed to Republican separatism.

Also it is really the Duke of Wellington who should take most of the credit for Catholic emancipation. Daniel O'Connell comes very much down the list.
Er, how could O'Connell have been opposed to a movement that didn't emerge until at least a quarter of a century after his death? He was no United Irishman, for sure, but he had a pretty definite opinion on the Act of Union.

between the bridges

Nordie Northsider

meanwhile on the island of unequals... The spokesperson told the Limerick Leader that “despite the ring of steel around Knocklong Community Centre”, the Republicans “successfully prevented the pro-imperialist event” from taking place.

British Legion concert in aid of Limerick playground halted by Republicans - Limerick Leader
A poor show that. I always get uneasy when I hear about meetings being broken up or events being picketed. Not good.

Ireniall

Gaa or ROI tops?
Not always. We're very white even compared to the English. We're less blond and more red and more blue-eyed than them. It's a head start. Not so sure about the Scots. Irish men tend to have broader shoulders.

milipod

Not always. We're very white even compared to the English. We're less blond and more red and more blue-eyed than them. It's a head start. Not so sure about the Scots. Irish men tend to have broader shoulders.
And huge mickeys.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies