Orange Order and the GAA

McSlaggart

Carrickfergus Church Forum has organised a talk next week entitled ‘The Orange Order and the GAA - Fields Apart?’
The event will take place from 7:30pm on Tuesday, March 3 in the Dobbs Room, Carrick Town Hall.
Speakers will be Dr David Hume and Dr Donal McAnallen. Non-political questions and discussion will follow their talks.

Inviting any interested parties to attend, the Forum said: “To whatever measure we identify with either or neither of these organisations, they play a significant role of influence on our communities and country and it’s important that we appreciate this role and any moderating developments that may allow for space, difference and diversity to be possible within a more inclusive community.

Would someone like to make an argument / explanation as to how the orange order is in any way inclusive organisation?

runwiththewind

How come the Orange Order don’t have a GAA Team ? Tis a pity to waste all that marching exercise.

Sure, if they won the All- Ireland, t’would be a real eye opener.
What county will they for?

Ardillaun

I know of an Orangeman currently playing Gaelic in deepest Tyrone. He may not be exactly emphasizing the whole Prod angle, though.

derryman

I was pleasantly surprised in 2003 when the COW on Site was very enthused at tyrones winning of the AI.
He had a long conversation with me about tge game and had obviously had a good understanding of the game and knowledge of the players.
I had other conversations with him where he revealed he was a committed orangemen.

Glaucon

Over time, the sectarian divisions in sport will gradually dissolve.
Possibly but divisions in sport (as in most things) can have long histories. There is still serious bitterness between rugby league and rugby union in England and Australia (particularly on the League side) because of how League players and administrators were treated by the Union authorities in the past. Our history defines us long after the conditions that created the original divisions have ceased to exist.

Dame_Enda

Unlike the Orange Order, the GAA does not have a religious test for membership.

Mickeymac

Unlike the Orange Order, the GAA does not have a religious test for membership.

I did see a sign outside their premises, some years ago, in Montreal stating......"All Religions and Ethnic minorities welcome"

Watcher2

Carrickfergus Church Forum has organised a talk next week entitled ‘The Orange Order and the GAA - Fields Apart?’
The event will take place from 7:30pm on Tuesday, March 3 in the Dobbs Room, Carrick Town Hall.
Speakers will be Dr David Hume and Dr Donal McAnallen. Non-political questions and discussion will follow their talks.

Inviting any interested parties to attend, the Forum said: “To whatever measure we identify with either or neither of these organisations, they play a significant role of influence on our communities and country and it’s important that we appreciate this role and any moderating developments that may allow for space, difference and diversity to be possible within a more inclusive community.

Would someone like to make an argument / explanation as to how the orange order is in any way inclusive organisation?
"Non-political questions and discussion will follow their talks."

L O bloody L. The Orange Order and the GAA are two exceedingly political organisations.

"Would someone like to make an argument / explanation as to how the orange order is in any way inclusive organisation?"

Can you do the same for the GAA? It is, by its very nature and foundation, exclusionary "No foreign games" etc etc

McSlaggart

"Non-political questions and discussion will follow their talks."

L O bloody L. The Orange Order and the GAA are two exceedingly political organisations.

"Would someone like to make an argument / explanation as to how the orange order is in any way inclusive organisation?"

Can you do the same for the GAA? It is, by its very nature and foundation, exclusionary "No foreign games" etc etc
I can go into the history of the GAA if you need. For brevity sake we can agree that the GAA does allow foreign games such as the use of Croke park

I know the Tyrone center of participation will help sports people from other codes. (I think they are mostly charged but at a very cheap rate according to rugby people I know) {ice bath etc})

I know "Protestants" who are members of the GAA. Not in the ratio of the general population but their certainly their are plenty in Tyrone .
==============================================================================================
now could you please expand your etc etc?

Glenshane4

What could be wrong with being "exclusionary?"

P.S. If you think that there is something wrong with being "exclusionary," please let me know how many Northern Ireland Catholics have been selected to play rugby for Ireland?

Watcher2

I can go into the history of the GAA if you need. For brevity sake we can agree that the GAA does allow foreign games such as the use of Croke park

I know the Tyrone center of participation will help sports people from other codes. (I think they are mostly charged but at a very cheap rate according to rugby people I know) {ice bath etc})

I know "Protestants" who are members of the GAA. Not in the ratio of the general population but their certainly their are plenty in Tyrone .
==============================================================================================
now could you please expand your etc etc?
waaahahahahaha, I am old enough to remember the kicking and screaming about the use of Croke Park when Lansdowne was being redeveloped. I cant believe you are using that as an example of its inclusivity. More recently then was the fundraiser in Pairc ui Caoimh.

The GAA is an exceedingly insular organisation.

Watcher2

P.S. If you think that there is something wrong with being "exclusionary," please let me know how many Northern Ireland Catholics have been selected to play rugby for Ireland?
I know very little about rugby so I'm afraid I cant let you know about that.

But "what could be wrong with being exclusionary?" Well, that says a lot about you. Fair play. looooooool

Glenshane4

I know very little about rugby so I'm afraid I cant let you know about that.

But "what could be wrong with being exclusionary?" Well, that says a lot about you. Fair play. looooooool

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies