• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Orange Order gets Republic funds

traynod

A company set up by the Orange Order is receiving almost 250,000 euros in funding from the Irish government.

The Republic's first substantial grant to the organisation is being made by the Department of Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/nort ... 228291.stm

Personally I welcome this announcement. It is a further sign of the increasing normality and maturity taking place on this island. I have no doubt that there will be many here who will denounce it as funding for a sectarian, fascist etc., etc., organisation, but perhaps those real fascists are those who castigate a tradition and community of which they know very little. If people want to achieve a united Ireland it is small steps and gestures such as these that will lead toward it faster than any incidence of violence or bigotry. (Cue the OO are a bunch of bigots comments)

What says the contributors to P.ie? Opinions please....

traynod

We all friends with the OO again? All one big happy family? While I'm disappointed no one responded, in a way I am relieved that there hasn't been on onslaught of vitriolic abuse aimed towards the OO through this thread.

G

Gimpanzee

traynod said:
I think you've more or less said it all. Good move - and a smart move too from our perspective.

But no doubt St333v3 will be along shortly with an informative video and a few more of his apparently bottomless stash of rolly-eyes to denounce this.

traynod

pauriceenjack said:
Does this mean that there might be a prospect of a grant for The Pastafarians?
Wonderful contribution.

Combine

traynod said:
(Cue the OO are a bunch of bigots comments)
The OO are a bunch of bigots.

traynod

Combine said:
traynod said:
Very often people who unequivocally call all OO members bigots are actually bigots themselves. I'm not defending the OO and have no doubt that there are issues with bigotry in its ranks, but that does not imply all OO members are bigots. Besides I don't want this thread to get into a back-forth bigot, not bigot yelling match. I'm more interested in how people feel this will affect cross community relations. Is it one small step for the Ireland of today, one giant leap for the Ireland of tomorrow?

joel

Gimpanzee said:
traynod said:
I think you've more or less said it all. Good move - and a smart move too from our perspective.

But no doubt St333v3 will be along shortly with an informative video and a few more of his apparently bottomless stash of rolly-eyes to denounce this.

Hey, Chimp, I know I shouldn't ask this, but why is it a "smart" move? - and what is "our" perspective?

joel

traynod said:
Combine said:
traynod said:
Very often people who unequivocally call all OO members bigots are actually bigots themselves. I'm not defending the OO and have no doubt that there are issues with bigotry in its ranks, but that does not imply all OO members are bigots. Besides I don't want this thread to get into a back-forth bigot, not bigot yelling match. I'm more interested in how people feel this will affect cross community relations. Is it one small step for the Ireland of today, one giant leap for the Ireland of tomorrow?

Am I right that this is an anti-Catholic group? I don't see how it aids the "community".

And does this mean the Irish Government is now taking a stance on religion? - will the Catholic church be banned?

I think this is a smart move. It shows Unionists that Nationalists are prepared to accept their culture. It also provides a nice contrast to The NI Assembley's position on the Irish language.

Henry Joy

traynod said:
Combine said:
traynod said:

I have conflicting opinions regarding the OO. On one hand, it is argued that they exist to promote the civil and religious liberties of those who disagree with the authoritarian theocracy that is Roman Catholicism.

On the other, there do seem to be many members of the OO who confuse this with active intimidation and persecution of individuals simply because they're Catholics.

If they stuck to the first aim, and dismissed the bigots from their ranks they'd gain more respect in my book.
But, their history is one of sectarianism, sponsored by the British establishment. As I understand it, their initial raison d'etre was to divide Irish people on sectarian lines.
The lie they were fed was that the 1798 rebellion was merely Popish, and not Republican.

In a proper secular Republic, you'd find more Protestants would abandon Unionism.

I'd like to see an Ireland where the Roman Catholic church and the OO are both irrelevant.

Henry Joy said:
traynod said:
Combine said:
traynod said:
I agree

I have conflicting opinions regarding the OO. On one hand, it is argued that they exist to promote the civil and religious liberties of those who disagree with the authoritarian theocracy that is Roman Catholicism.

On the other, there do seem to be many members of the OO who confuse this with active intimidation and persecution of individuals simply because they're Catholics.

If they stuck to the first aim, and dismissed the bigots from their ranks they'd gain more respect in my book.
But, their history is one of sectarianism, sponsored by the British establishment. As I understand it, their initial raison d'etre was to divide Irish people on sectarian lines.
The lie they were fed was that the 1798 rebellion was merely Popish, and not Republican.

In a proper secular Republic, you'd find more Protestants would abandon Unionism.

I'd like to see an Ireland where the Roman Catholic church and the OO are both irrelevant.

The SR

Fr. Dougal McGuire said:
I think this is a smart move. It shows Unionists that Nationalists are prepared to accept their culture. It also provides a nice contrast to The NI Assembley's position on the Irish language.
Or is shows that hatred and bigotry are considered worthy of financial support from the state.

I accept their culture. I reject their hatred. And I fundamentally object to getting out of my pit to go to work to pay for it.

The Trinity Politick

clareman51 said:
250,000? The Morris Dancing lessons must be getting expensive.
As long as my tax isn't paying for orange sashes and silly bowler hats, fair balls

Henry Joy

clareman51 said:
250,000? The Morris Dancing lessons must be getting expensive.
I'd want to see receipts for that money. You could buy a lot of munitions with £250,000. :shock:

A re-run of the 1914 Larne 'importation' would be an unwelcome development in Irish politics.

G

Gimpanzee

joel said:
Hey, Chimp, I know I shouldn't ask this, but why is it a "smart" move? - and what is "our" perspective?
So... why are you asking ?

Riadach

pauriceenjack said:
Does this mean that there might be a prospect of a grant for The Pastafarians?
Ah John Kalahan, long time. You were cleverer this time though about it, I grant you that.

traynod

mr_anderson said:
Combine said:
traynod said:
The OO are NOT a bunch of bigots.
Just ask their catholic members. :p
No, those Catholic members are too busy getting involved with Opus Dei. What's wrong with the organisation being a Protestant-only fraternity? What's the deal? Are you so bigoted that you dislike the thoughts of a Protestant only organisation?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies