Orange Order head brands dissidents the "Roman Catholic IRA", and more

Scipio

Some quite astonishing comments made by Saulters. Then again, if you're part of the Order, perhaps this sort of illogical paranoia is just par for the course.

Orange Order head Robert Saulters has claimed dissident republican groupings are just “fancy names” for the “Roman Catholic IRA”.

Mr Saulters also alleged that “dirty dealing” is leading to Northern Ireland Electricity being “taken over by the Southern Government's counterpart”.

And in a further attack, the Orange Grand Master stated that the initials of the Public Prosecution Service (PPS) should stand for the “Protestant Prosecution Service”.

Orange Order chief brands dissident terrorists as "Roman Catholic IRA" - Northern Ireland, Local & National - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Faustian

Ideologically they have far more in common with Jacobinical romanticism than Catholicism. The republican terrorists have a long history of collaborating with the murderers of random Catholics in Spain, under the dubious rationale of several utopianist "causes". Not only during the Spanish Civil War, but by the ETA; RIRA even harbour some of these criminals on the island to this day. I suppose the so-called "Catholic" identity of many of these people has very little do to with the universal religion to begin with. It seems much more like a revanchist "non-Protestantism" than Catholicism.

Scipio

I wonder if newly installed UUP leader Tom Elliot would agree with his chief's comments?

Rumour has it that Saulters will now be appearing at this:

Cruithnig

Firstly, I don't see what this has to do with Irish politics Scipio.

Secondly, most Unionists know the OO is full of hot air, hence falling membership numbers. They lost the support of working class Loyalists when they shunned the support of paramilitaries at Drumcree.

Anyone who takes anything the OO say seriously is a bit of an eejit, especially if they think it's worthy of a thread here :rolleyes:

Scipio

Firstly, I don't see what this has to do with Irish politics Scipio.
I suspect you missed the sign on the way in, this is the Northern Ireland forum.

Anyone who takes anything the OO say seriously is a bit of an eejit, especially if they think it's worthy of a thread here :rolleyes:
Given that the Orange Order is still a powerful social and political force in Northern Ireland, I would think that the public comments of their chief member would be at least worthy of a discussion thread.

Then again, I'm just your everyday eejit.

antsrathcam

So.

Leader of 'socially important' Protestant organization prefixes name of terrorist group with the words 'Roman Catholic' :shock:

Now, where did I leave that popcorn?:D

Scipio

Is the OO a powerful Political Force ? Certainly it is socially important, but politically ?
It was powerful enough to be involved in brokering the Rodney Connor deal in Fermanagh. The OO is still a force to be reckoned with in Unionist politics, gradually fading perhaps, but her pernicious influence remains nonetheless.

Scipio

I suspect he believes that the Pope is commanding the dissidents from his underground bunker in the Vatican, he is the antichrist after all. :)

Surely old Rob should take his evidence of "dirty dealing" as regards the takeover of NIE to the relevant authorities? Then again, given that the PPS is persecuting Ulster Protestants, who knows what the corporate regulator might be up to.

Cruimh

I suspect he believes that the Pope is commanding the dissidents from his underground bunker in the Vatican, he is the antichrist after all. :)

Surely old Rob should take his evidence of "dirty dealing" as regards the takeover of NIE to the relevant authorities? Then again, given that the PPS is persecuting Ulster Protestants, what hope might he have of getting a fair hearing?
Put it like this - I won't be losing any sleep over him :lol:

oboe

He's likely correct - I'd guess there are not many Protestant members of the RIRA/CIRA etc ;)
Going by the apparant limited numbers in those groups its safe to say not many Catholics are members either.

Saulters is clearly stuck in the rhetoric of the 'pan nationalist front' days

antsrathcam

He's likely correct - I'd guess there are not many Protestant members of the RIRA/CIRA etc ;)
Something in your eye, Cruimh.

Mr Saulters has let a nasty scabby ginger tom cat out of his wee bag, and you know it.

antsrathcam

Are you saying that the IRA has a lot of protestant members then ? ;)
Yeah I'm sure I said back there somethng like this.....

"The IRA has many Protestant members. Methodists, CofI, Presbyterians. The ranks are stuffed with them" Maybe a word wrong here or there but that was the general drift.

Dick.

SevenStars

Some quite astonishing comments made by Saulters. Then again, if you're part of the Order, perhaps this sort of illogical paranoia is just par for the course.
A few years back now the (Real) IRA issued a statement saying that the RCC should sort its own house out before saying anything about them and also saying that its decline in influence in Irish society was a good thing. Unionists though are infamous for not wanting to actually analysis or understand at all Irish Republicanism. A book studying both religion and radical secularism, anti-clericalism and athieism as they all have related to the struggle for national self-determination would be really interesting...That subject would be hard to discuss here though because of the present of certain trolls.

Faustian

Probably the biggest fault of Unionist identity is the ridiculousness of its provincial, anti-Catholicism. They only isolate themselves throughout Europe by deluding themselves in this way. Many of their natural allies who would otherwise be in solidarity with them against the Fenian Peril and its Yankee Imperialist backers, would be the deeply conservative, anti-communist, anti-terrorist Catholics across Europe; from Flanders, to Spain, to France, to Italy.

But they cut off their own noses to spite their faces when they roll out some masonic idiot from the Orange Order, wittering on about papal plots, etc. Its ironic I suppose that in football, Rangers manage to have a friendship with Lazio (from the all seeing, all knowing, city of seven hills itself :lol:)

Estragon

Is the OO a powerful Political Force ? Certainly it is socially important, but politically ?
In the past few weeks they've vetoed legislation and decided who runs the UUP. Yeah, I'd say their pretty powerful politically.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies