Orange Order in Scotland is on the brink of collapse

McSlaggart

"THE “anti-Catholic” Orange Order is in terminal decline and can only survive if it abandons sectarianism, according to historian Tom Devine.

He said members of the Protestant fraternity are ageing and their marches in July commemorating the defeat of Catholic King James II by Dutch Protestant William of Orange in 1690 are “widely condemned by mainstream Scottish opinion”."

Orange Order in Scotland is on the brink of collapse, according to leading historian Tom Devine | HeraldScotland

One only has to go on youtube to see the age profile of its members in northern Ireland would not be that different than in Scotland.

It should be said that the Order in Ireland has tried to make changes such as Orangefest which has not worked out as well as they had hoped with the shops in Belfast not doing a great trade.

Belfast city centre: Half of shops open on Twelfth - BBC News

(It should be said that the big shops in Tyrone do a great days business as their is little else to do on that day)

The question is what steps should the Order take in Ireland to avoid a similar fate that is apparently taking place in Scotland?

silverharp

The question is what steps should the Order take in Ireland to avoid a similar fate that is apparently taking place in Scotland?
dont give them ideas

McSlaggart

Moi'd mention that numbers are on the rise but McSlabbers would probably keel over...
Once joining the Order was a way of getting an economic advantage in the world of work. It had some selective element as to who was allowed into its ranks. Today being in the order has an economic disadvantage in the world of work.

"Shankill Butcher steward as Orange march passed a Catholic church"

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday-life/news/shankill-butcher-steward-as-orange-march-passed-a-catholic-church-30446796.html

vinoboy

I was at the OO parade in Glasgow last year as a spectator and the size of the parade was impressive.
I kept an eye on lodge turnout and numbers were good .
Yes,mainly middle aged but then the young move to the lodges after giving up the bands.
Female lodges are big in Scotland.

death or glory

InsideImDancing

I hope they keep going and increase numbers.

Absolutely beautiful target.

#IEDHeaven.

Runs so fkn hard.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
History is a peculiar thing isn't it. It allows for all sorts of oddities. There can be few modern organisations still celebrating a battle in the 1690s.

Not even Trafalgar gets that kind of attention. Nor Waterloo. Two battles that changed the course of European history.

The enterprising Dutch raid on the Thames a couple of generations later hardly gets a mention never mind a parade.

Must be something to do with the religious overtones :)

eoghanacht

History is a peculiar thing isn't it. It allows for all sorts of oddities. There can be few modern organisations still celebrating a battle in the 1690s.

Not even Trafalgar gets that kind of attention. Nor Waterloo. Two battles that changed the course of European history.

The enterprising Dutch raid on the Thames a couple of generations later hardly gets a mention never mind a parade.

Must be something to do with the religious overtones :)
Indeed it's the annual Lord it over the neighbours in the guise of culture.

Face painting KAT really underscores the inclusiveness of British culture up north.

PeacefulViking

As Roman Catholics have mellowed and don't pose the threat they used to in the old days it is natural that an anti-Catholic organisation is felt to less relevant. Perhaps they should branch out into Islamophobia, I believe there is a market to be tapped there.

Nordie Northsider

As Roman Catholics have mellowed and don't pose the threat they used to in the old days it is natural that an anti-Catholic organisation is felt to less relevant. Perhaps they should branch out into Islamophobia, I believe there is a market to be tapped there.
They've always done a nice line in homophobia, but that's sooo yesterday.

automaticforthepeople

Orange Order in Scotland stands for very little any longer. Many protestants now vote for SNP instead of Labour. The object of Scottish nationalism is the polar opposite of loyalty which the orders proclaim to the concept of monarchy.

Regardless of whether Scotland ever becomes independent or not, this reality can only confuse the Protestant loyal identity which underpins the Order.
I'm not surprised that the Order is on the way out. The sooner that RC bigotry follows it to the museum, the better for all of us.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Curious that the Orange Order should go into precipitous decline just as gay marriage puts in an appearance both north and south of the Brexit Parallel.

If one was of a suspicious and cynical nature one could suppose that a singular interest has been supplanted by another.

AhNowStop

I was at the OO parade in Glasgow last year as a spectator and the size of the parade was impressive.
I kept an eye on lodge turnout and numbers were good .
Yes,mainly middle aged but then the young move to the lodges after giving up the bands.
Female lodges are big in Scotland.

Yup :?

New Threads

Most Replies