Orange Order in the Republic?

Moderate

I'm not too clued in on the goings on in Unionism in the republic, but my girlfriends father told me that he used be in the Orange Order. I didn't press the subject, but I did wonder what purpose the Orange Order serves in the republic and how active they are? Is it all along the north west border?

Galeforce

Moderate said:
? Is it all along the north west border?
Indeed it is. My sister is married in Donegal and her next door neighbour is an orange man. He practices his drumbs etc before the marching season. This guy is a Car Machenic and closes for the big Marches across the border.

He is open for business on St Patricks Day.

Seems like a sound sort really. All a bit strange though but he and his family are well recieved in the local community.

AberdeenFC

Do they fly UJ's etc., whilst parading in the RoI?

I find the whole OO thing irrespective of country, bizarre, tbh.

Aindriu

AberdeenFC said:

I find the whole OO thing irrespective of country, bizarre, tbh.
Why would they fly the Union flag? The OO aren't tied to the UK.

Galeforce

Aindriu said:
Why would they fly the Union flag? The OO aren't tied to the UK.
Maybe not but they still fly it at the parades or have you been living under a rock all ur life.

Its a reasonable question.

MichaelR

AberdeenFC said:
They do. Seen them do it in Rossnowlagh. But most cars in the park were NI registered.

wizzard

Monaghan and Cavan all have active lodges afaik too and Louth had them up to a generation ago I heard.

AberdeenFC

The other thing that puzzles me about the OO outside of Britain and Ireland is it's relevance (or not as should be) in other countries e.g. Ghana!

What is going on there!

fergalr

The Ulster counties in the Republic all have OO members, I believe. Certainly the Donegal march always gets airtime to show how little an issue it is in the South.
Personally I think it looks like a Mr Benn convention.

Aindriu

fergalr said:
The Ulster counties in the Republic all have OO members, I believe. Certainly the Donegal march always gets airtime to show how little an issue it is in the South.
Personally I think it looks like a Mr Benn convention.
Anyone remember the Homepride men? :lol: :lol:

bobbysands81

Moderate said:
I'm not too clued in on the goings on in Unionism in the republic, but my girlfriends father told me that he used be in the Orange Order. I didn't press the subject, but I did wonder what purpose the Orange Order serves in the republic and how active they are? Is it all along the north west border?
There's a few loonballs everywhere mate.

I'd imagine that numbers in the OO in the Republic are on the up with the amount of immigration we've had from Britain and fellas from the 06 coming down to work in construction etc...

Zyklon B

There's a Dublin & Wicklow Loyal Orange Lodge, I remember their leader being interviewed around the time the Orange Order were to march in Dublin. He is loyal to the Queen of Great Britain, I personally think that's rather sad. How can you be a good Irishman and be loyal to a foreign monarch?

mr_anderson

Zyklon B said:
There's a Dublin & Wicklow Loyal Orange Lodge, I remember their leader being interviewed around the time the Orange Order were to march in Dublin. He is loyal to the Queen of Great Britain, I personally think that's rather sad. How can you be a good Irishman and be loyal to a foreign monarch?
Ask 2nd and 3rd generation Irish living in britain about their loyalty to the crown.

fergalr

Maybe he maintains his fidelity to the monarchy whose authority used to cover the whole of this island. It's his business, I wouldn't judge.

bobbysands81

mr_anderson said:
[quote="Zyklon B":rei8vu4t]There's a Dublin & Wicklow Loyal Orange Lodge, I remember their leader being interviewed around the time the Orange Order were to march in Dublin. He is loyal to the Queen of Great Britain, I personally think that's rather sad. How can you be a good Irishman and be loyal to a foreign monarch?
Ask 2nd and 3rd generation Irish living in britain about their loyalty to the crown.[/quote:rei8vu4t]

??? What's that got to do with anything ???

Approx half of people living in Britain have no allegiance to "Royalty", not just Irish...

For every Irish person living there that hates them there'll be a self-loathing muppet that loves them.

To think that there are still people that believe that they should be looked over by a monarch in this day and age is astonishing.

These same people would be proclaiming how backward Ireland was if it had a monarchy. Funny how they speak out about all sectarianism except the elephant in the room that is the British monarchy.

mr_anderson

bobbysands81 said:
mr_anderson said:
[quote="Zyklon B":35nhrg9v]There's a Dublin & Wicklow Loyal Orange Lodge, I remember their leader being interviewed around the time the Orange Order were to march in Dublin. He is loyal to the Queen of Great Britain, I personally think that's rather sad. How can you be a good Irishman and be loyal to a foreign monarch?
Ask 2nd and 3rd generation Irish living in britain about their loyalty to the crown.
??? What's that got to do with anything ???

Approx half of people living in Britain have no allegiance to "Royalty", not just Irish...

For every Irish person living there that hates them there'll be a self-loathing muppet that loves them.

To think that there are still people that believe that they should be looked over by a monarch in this day and age is astonishing.

These same people would be proclaiming how backward Ireland was if it had a monarchy. Funny how they speak out about all sectarianism except the elephant in the room that is the British monarchy.[/quote:35nhrg9v]

Precisely, what Im getting at.
If you are fine about some British not proclaiming their loyalty to the crown, why do you get so upset about some Irish not being loyal to the state ?

Lets forget the crown, how many 2nd and 3rd generation Pakistanis, Indians, or West Indies are loyal to England, Scotland or Wales where they live ?
Perhaps we should have our own version of norman tebbits 'cricket test'.

mr_anderson

In my opinion, the OO is a cultural thing.
Unfortunately, northern experiences tend to politicise everything, and the OO is now closely associated with everything british.
Are there OO marches in england ?

fergalr

Dunny said:
Back home in Meath, I know a family where the Dad is in the OO but the kids all go to GAA Summer camps..
Its not always black and white
Don't mention the immigrants.

Zyklon B

Yeah and there was that DUP candidate from (?) Tyrone, I think, that plays (played) senior club football.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies