• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

anarko

Just heard about the lads marching up to the dail from Killkenny, they are at Castledermot now and expect be in dublin by Tuesday.
Fair play to the lot of them
Maybe some of the posters on here should join them especially as they get to the City West

ruserious

March on Dublin? Fine Gael (blueshirts) would relish this

ruserious

It might get their weight down. Some of us have to work to pay for dossers who have nothing better to do with their time than march Mussolini like on Dublin with a begging bowl.
You seem to have nothing better to do than defend FF for no good reason

anarko

It might get their weight down. Some of us have to work to pay for dossers who have nothing better to do with their time than march Mussolini like on Dublin with a begging bowl.
some of us dont have work because of FF

Many unemployed don't even get any labour money because they were self empoyed

LDF

Why do some commentators/politicians insist on referring to "ordinary" people. It seems to be a phenomenon of the Left. Ordinary compared to what? I've never met an "ordinary" person in my life.

d7bohs

I am not defending Fianna Fail. However, to say others were not equally culpable is not the answer. It was not Hitler and sox others who brought us world war 2. He had plenty of little helpers. And so had FF.
There are no leaders in Ireland. A country with the population of Greater Manchester can only produce a similar amount of leaders. Even Manchester had to import their most famous one, Sir Alec.

Stop attacking Fianna Fail. Stop blaming others like the clown Higgins. Come up with a programme or a solution. As James Connolly said, surely Christ did not die for these people.
Fool

Edo

i passed the 3 of them yesterday on the way into Carlow - they looked pretty alone there at milford cross just outside Carlow - dont think they were getting a great deal of support.

Hmmm - I dont know - Im not a "down with everything" person - sure if they feel they are making a point - personally I think they would be better off canvassing their home area for a non-ff candidate - if Bobby Aylward can be felled at the GE - then you know that life as we have known it is coming to an end.

mermer

I am not defending Fianna Fail. However, to say others were not equally culpable is not the answer. It was not Hitler and sox others who brought us world war 2. He had plenty of little helpers. And so had FF.
There are no leaders in Ireland. A country with the population of Greater Manchester can only produce a similar amount of leaders. Even Manchester had to import their most famous one, Sir Alec.

Stop attacking Fianna Fail. Stop blaming others like the clown Higgins. Come up with a programme or a solution. As James Connolly said, surely Christ did not die for these people.
Absolute bullsh*t. What garbled nonsense! Firstly, Fianna Fail are REPRESENTATIVE of the coterie that have caused the numerous problems in Ireland at present, not to mention intensifying the crisis of legitimacy of our political institutions with their in-fighting and power plays. Your equation of FF and Nazi Germany is so asinine it does not deserve further comment.
Secondly, greater Manchester is not purported to be a sovereign, self-governing territory!! It does not command the same recognition between the 'people' and the governors as Ireland does. AND ALSO, AleX Ferguson is a FOOTBALL COACH. Now, you can try and stretch it to make it seem that he's a 'civic leader', 'community leader', 'opinion shaper' blah blah blah.
Before having a go at the 'clown' Higgins (whose outrage at least has substance and cogency, unlike your's) maybe you should question your central assumption: that CRITICISM must be accompanied with a SOLUTION. To criticize is an important part of devising a solution. In fact, the whole reason Ireland is in the sh*tter is because there WAS NO CRITICISM.

Johnnybaii

THIS JUST IN......

FF supporter says FF not to blame.

......MORE AT 11PM

anarko

Absolute bullsh*t. What garbled nonsense! Firstly, Fianna Fail are REPRESENTATIVE of the coterie that have caused the numerous problems in Ireland at present, not to mention intensifying the crisis of legitimacy of our political institutions with their in-fighting and power plays. Your equation of FF and Nazi Germany is so asinine it does not deserve further comment.
Secondly, greater Manchester is not purported to be a sovereign, self-governing territory!! It does not command the same recognition between the 'people' and the governors as Ireland does. AND ALSO, AleX Ferguson is a FOOTBALL COACH. Now, you can try and stretch it to make it seem that he's a 'civic leader', 'community leader', 'opinion shaper' blah blah blah.
Before having a go at the 'clown' Higgins (whose outrage at least has substance and cogency, unlike your's) maybe you should question your central assumption: that CRITICISM must be accompanied with a SOLUTION. To criticize is an important part of devising a solution. In fact, the whole reason Ireland is in the sh*tter is because there WAS NO CRITICISM.
Excellent post esp at the end

drummed

Why do some commentators/politicians insist on referring to "ordinary" people. It seems to be a phenomenon of the Left. Ordinary compared to what? I've never met an "ordinary" person in my life.
Like "working people" what the hell does that mean?

Aindriu

THIS JUST IN......

FF supporter says FF not to blame.

......MORE AT 11PM
NEWS FLASH.........

Cowen says it was them Lehman brothers wot done it. They were after wrecking the country, not Bertie, BIFFO and Lendahand.

Viva La Revolution!

+1

kenneth

fairplay to those taking part. i fear they won't get the support they deserve but good luck to them nonetheless

LDF

Like "working people" what the hell does that mean?
Well, is it a class thing? Do you have to be working down the mine to get the dubious honour of being called "ordinary" by some pompous git. Is there a salary/ordinariness Index -the less you earn the more ordinary you become?

Why should anyone be defined by the work they do or the amount of money they earn and why do those who purport to represent "ordinary" people most readily seek to pigeon-hole them into one group as if their entire life experience, outlook and belief system should be defined by the amount of money they earn or the work they do?

Right, rant over.

mermer

Well, is it a class thing? Do you have to be working down the mine to get the dubious honour of being called "ordinary" by some pompous git. Is there a salary/ordinariness Index -the less you earn the more ordinary you become?

Why should anyone be defined by the work they do or the amount of money they earn and why do those who purport to represent "ordinary" people most readily seek to pigeon-hole them into one group as if their entire life experience, outlook and belief system should be defined by the amount of money they earn or the work they do?

Right, rant over.
Does 'ordinary' in some sense imply a relation to labour? Not at all. I would argue that it is the position the user of the word is speaking from that incurs its use. It is a privileged position; an elite position. But it is also a position which symbolically represents the thousands of people who voted for him/her, say. The whole principle upon which our 'democratic' societies are the separation of offices (i.e. TD) from those holding them. the person is elected TD, they are not inherently a TD (though the pervasiveness of political dynasties may provide contrary evidence). Therefore, the TD has to speak from the perspective of the position: they cannot count themselves as an ordinary person. It's the flip side of the coin that would, for example, encourage outrage if a TD were photographed on a load of yokes, wearin the face off some chung-wun. 'Ordinary' - as in average behaviour - is not generally permitted.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom