Orla Tinsley, communicator.

He3

Well by the lack of response this thread has not seized the imagination of p.ie posters. That is maybe easy to understand on a variety of levels. Just in case the opening post was too skimpy, and that clicking on the link seemed uninviting, here is a snippet from the article. IMHO it deserves as wide a circulation as possible.

LAST FRIDAY, after one week in hospital, I was feeling pretty good about things. I had been moved the previous night into one of the two old cubicles on the respiratory ward that had been the main cystic fibrosis ward before St Christopher’s opened.

I didn’t have an en-suite room but I moved into one later that evening. In that first single room I was relieved, I knew there were no bugs lurking in the air. I could close my door for peace and quiet and I could sleep. My lung was getting better too.

Things that don’t help are situations like the one that happened seconds after I had finished my physiotherapy on Friday. A member of management walked into my room and asked if I had a few minutes to spare. She asked if I was okay to talk, if not she would come back later. So I suppose I should have told her I wasn’t, but I am very open to discussing the issues, and it was either now or later.

She then remarked that the physio had been so long in with me and she had been waiting outside to come in. Physio is exhausting, but she still thought it was okay to wait and approach me. She had a copy of my last article in The Irish Times (Fighting with every breath to cope with CF hospital ordeal, May 1st) with pieces of it highlighted. She was treating it as a complaint, she said.

Fairplay

Just read the article. This young woman is inspirational. I saw her on the Late Late Show recently and was so impressed.

She must be stirring the ******************** when they send their messenger to a girl exhausted after physio.

HSE is getting celebrities like Gerald kean to tell them what is wrong with them - or rather help them with their communications - why not get Orla on this role when she is having a well period?

He3

Inspirational is the word.

On your last point, I guess she has enough on her plate in trying to communicate with the HSE - but maybe if they sort the service for her and fellow patients maybe then she might think about communicating for the HSE...

How much do they pay their new National Director of Communications?

spidermom

Its such a shame that this is still treated as a "complaint" rather than actively engaging the community in their hospital!!

i.e. ..........is there no way we can all get together and manage the solution together...ARA no sure that kind of solidarity would have to start from the top!

He3

Yes, it would have to start from the top, and the fact that it hasn't is the shared responsibility of Mary Harney and Brendan Drumm, who are instead busy pointing fingers at each other now that the media has realised that one of the consequences of the new consultant contract is that the public and voluntary hospitals will be cut off from a valuable source of income from patients who have insurance.

Fairplay

He3 - salary of National Director of Communications is I believe is c.€200,000 pa + 25% bonus + pension etc. Harney approved salary above normal HSE scales for him and new HR supremo Sean mcGrath- and I think another post.

remember her mantra - 'you pay peanuts and get monkeys'

Reactions: He3

He3

He3 - salary of National Director of Communications is I believe is c.€200,000 pa + 25% bonus + pension etc. Harney approved salary above normal HSE scales for him and new HR supremo Sean mcGrath- and I think another post.

Words cannot express...

greengoose

Well by the lack of response this thread has not seized the imagination of p.ie posters.
I read that article and was tempted to start a thread about it myself. However, the attitude of many contributors here is pretty well self centered and apologist for the rotten mess the government have created and fostered.

Threads on George Lee or Bertie Ahern go on ad nauseaum whilst this will be forgotten about in a short matter of time. Orla is a courageous and very atriculate young lady who bears her malady with exceptional dignity. Unfortunately her and her fellow sufferers plight does not affect other people's pockets and is therefore of minor interest. This is indicative of the mé féin attitude of the population.

When we lose this "what's in it for me?" mindset we might get rid of the gombeens and eradicate the national gombeenism that pollutes Irish life. Consider who votes for whom if one is financed by Social Welfare! Bought votes and then the workinbg class will pick up the tab.....

myk

It is a great article. I have read several of hers in the Times now. I think she is doing a great service to other CF suffers and to the country as a whole.

paperweight

People only care about what effects them directly unless you have seen a child with CF fight to survive, people just don't care - its a heart breaking disease but it shouldn't be, medical advancement has meant that many of the suffers could have longer healthier lives and ultimately heart & lungs transplants but we don't care - Why? Because we are a selfish race that unless something is thrown in our face we ignore it - Unfortunately we are all to blame because we have let this happen, we should stop blaming FF because during the boom, we could of easily done something to help, we didn't - & that includes the opposition - I hope in 10 years time maybe we will have re-evaluated our priorities and realised that we can't live in a bubble, we should care whether looking on from a distance or directly effected.

Reactions: myk

greengoose

People only care about what effects them directly unless you have seen a child with CF fight to survive, people just don't care - its a heart breaking disease but it shouldn't be, medical advancement has meant that many of the suffers could have longer healthier lives and ultimately heart & lungs transplants but we don't care - Why? Because we are a selfish race that unless something is thrown in our face we ignore it - Unfortunately we are all to blame because we have let this happen, we should stop blaming FF because during the boom, we could of easily done something to help, we didn't - & that includes the opposition - I hope in 10 years time maybe we will have re-evaluated our priorities and realised that we can't live in a bubble, we should care whether looking on from a distance or directly effected.
I really cannot agree with this comment. FF were in government during the good times and the money they collcted from the taxpayers went towards their own special gombeenism! What were we all suppoed to do to help? We pay our taxes. There is a Health Service which is allocated money to run and sadly the money was misappropriated. Huge salaries, overstaffing, ineptitude and the like was how this cash was frittered away.

We elect politicians to run the show, believeing them to be competent. Now you bought the dog so why do you do his barking for him. Your argument is simply trying to dilute responsibility.

Orla has been campaigning for years as have others on different issues and they have all been rebutted.

Do you know how dail voting works? Maybe you ask Gogarty or the other Greens! If a FF minister suggested voting on sticking knitting needles in newborn babies eyes the TD's would be voting for the motion. There are more FF/Greens than the opposition ......

pandora

dealing with complaints

The HSE method of dealing with complaints seems to be to send a suit with a clipboard. If a patient or relative complains a toilet is dirty it is because they want the toilet to be cleaned. They don't want to be quizzed on how they came to that conclusion and they don't want to start a witch-hunt to find out who is to blame - they just want clean toilets so send a cleaner, not a manager. Better still send a manager to clean the toilet, then they would be doing something useful.

The tactic is obviously to make complaining so frustrating and pointless that people just won't bother. Orla Tinsley doesn't have the luxury of giving up. She has to fight a serious illness. She shouldn't also have to fight the system. Those of us who are lucky enough to have good health should be doing that for her. Our shame is that we don't until it affects ourselves or our families.

Fairplay

Good post Pandora

We could all write to the Irish Times commenting on that article and we could send a copy to Prof Drumm with our comments. Won't change HSE but it's a start.

I think Orla Tinsley has a valid point, but really coming out with this "War Crimes" blox turns people off. Darfur and the Balkans are war crimes. This isn't. Cop on.

He3

What do we get when we pay tons of peanuts?

powderfinger

Eamon sneezes.James goes cold.

The level of shocking disregard for cystic fibrosis needs . . . is palpable. This Government doesn't feel very new - The Irish Times - Fri, Apr 15, 2011

The first person to call was Eamon Gilmore’s secretary. She said Eamon wanted to come in to me to see the facilities I was forced to stay in, but the only problem was he had a cold and didn’t want to give me anything. She said not to tell anyone else he had a cold because it being an election and all that.
It didn’t make sense.
I said, not to worry, I wouldn’t hug him and would wear a mask and keep distance while talking to him. She then said he was extremely busy canvassing. He would call me tomorrow.
He didn’t call.
James Reilly did call, though. Well, he called in without actually calling first. I was on my way to physiotherapy exercise and told him he’d have to wait half an hour. Sometimes I think people assume hospital is a holiday where you lie around all day. He agreed to wait and when I called him later he was chatting to another CF patient in the cafe.
I sat at the opposite end waiting. His aide took a photo of them together, he went off to wash his hands to prevent cross-infection and sat down with me. He was very nice, but ill informed on some of the needs for CF patients.
He focused intently and like every other time I spoke to him I got a real sense that he was listening. He told me he knew all too well about CF because of his time as a doctor. I told him we needed some sort of solution between now and the beginning of March 2012 – when the new unit was to open – for the patients who were in Vincent’s who could not access one of the eight single rooms.
I was now on my fifth night without proper sleep due to the noise in the room I was in. The ward was pretty clean, but if it’s not en suite it’s not good enough.
I told him No, I didn’t want a photo taken.
James Reilly had called me before – in October 2010, late at night.
There is more.

Last edited:

turdsl

I have been reading Orla Tinsley articles fore some time
now, She is an inspiration for life itself.Bertie and Harney if they had an ounce of civil respect to their name should be ashamed to show their face in public.
12 years ago this unit was to be built, just think of all the money that was wasted by that government over that period when money was plenty,
We voted for change, We got new faces and a new government with a massive majority.
I have been a fan of Mr O Reilly since the start and have thought of him as a solid bet for leader in the future. The first red light flashed for me with him on Vin Browne show when Vinnie caught him red handed
over, unilaterally force bondholders to bear some of the cost. Last week we heard he had changed his mind on a report because he had read a judges report
I am sure Harney had the same reason, Then I read he is retaining Harneys, PR, Now why was that necessary. No Change there, Then we hear he will not go on Prime Time. he issues a statement saying the building will be reduced to almost half its size.
Why should this lady be treated like this by any government, Todays article makes me very sad both for Miss Tinsley who has fought such a battle and also for myself. I had such faith in this man, However, it is early yet but I will be watching.

Panopticon

The country doesn't have an infinite amount of money to spend on people's chronic illnesses.

He3

The country doesn't have an infinite amount of money to spend on people's chronic illnesses.
The State policy is clear: the banks' creditors are more worthy of support.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies