• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

O'Searcaigh statement

mrd2008

this guy just doesn't know when to stop. it's his sexual exploitation of the poor, not his "gay lifestyle", that has offended everyone - everyone except his fellow Aosdana members of course...

'If my gay lifestyle and relationships in Nepal has offended anyone, I am sorry'

Statement by Cathal Ó Searcaigh: It is with a heavy heart that I have read and listened to the media comment about the documentary Fairytale of Katmandu.

I opened my life and work in Nepal to someone I considered a friend. Someone who had made a film of me and my adopted son and family in Nepal less than a year earlier and who never raised any concerns to me at that time.

I believe the filmmakers never had any intentions of showing the work I have being doing in Nepal for some 13 years now. I have undertaken projects to provide water, housing, education and business opportunities for the people of Nepal.

I have made many friends, both male and female and I have taken great pleasure in seeing my small efforts change their lives for the better. The well being of the Nepalese people is of primary concern to me.

If my gay lifestyle and relationships in Nepal has offended anyone, I am sorry. But to suggest that I in any way coerced or preyed upon these young men is untrue and distasteful. My relationships in Nepal have always been open and loving and above board.

I have considered deeply the opinions put forward by my critics and I can see how my actions could have been misinterpreted. It hurts me to think that I would be seen in this light.

However, as my efforts to support and nurture the people of Nepal are more important to me than the privacy of my relationships, I have decided to establish a trust to administer whatever funds I am capable of providing in the future.

The trust will consist of Prem, my adopted son, Sunita his wife and my daughter-in-law, a Nepalese solicitor and accountant. I will distance myself completely from the distribution of funding for chosen projects. This will allow the work I have started in Nepal to continue and afford me the privilege of regaining some semblance of a private life.

I would finally like to say that the vast bulk of the money I used to help my friends in Nepal was my own income. Although I lived there for three months of the year, I support the educational and other projects all year round.

Is teann an taca an trócaire.

© 2008 The Irish Times

Rapisco

Cathal,

its not your gay lifestyle and relationships in Nepal that offends me.

Its you admiting that you st*ck your ***** in 16yr old impoverished Nepalese boys that offends me.

It seems he cannot see (or will not admit) how his actions can be percieved as abuses of wealth. Even if it was not intentional, it was an abuse of his position.

kerrynorth

Questions are also being asked about what exactly the 50k 'charity' money he raised for Nepal was actually spent on. Each member of Aosdana provided a piece of work/art for an auction.

mrd2008

kerrynorth said:
Questions are also being asked about what exactly the 50k 'charity' money he raised for Nepal was actually spent on. Each member of Aosdana provided a piece of work/art for an auction.
That's all Aosdana members are concerned with - where their money went. In fact OUR money I should say! The fact that my taxes keep that shower of wasters off the dole really sticks in my craw

pauriceenjack

who elects them

a fellow starts messing with a few paints he gets for christmas
a few years after he researches the irish version of his name and starts using it
next thing he in Aosdanna

lostexpectation said:
and the film marker did make a praising film about him, and then went back and couldn't ignore his actions any more...

i don't get why he keeps stating he has sex with the door open?
I was wondering that too. What does he mean by that? That it's alright to have sex with 16 year olds if the door is open?

sandar

I mpresume he is tryinmg to show that they didn't protest or put up a struggle and that they could have left the room if they wanted to

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
'If my gay lifestyle and relationships in Nepal has offended anyone, I am sorry'

Its not his gayness people have problem with, its his preferance for young boys which apparently benevolent funds were used to give him access too. There is no escaping the conclusion that those who recieved money or an education was influenced by which pupil polished the poets pecker (sorry for the poetic pun).

Good effort of his behalf though, trying to make this an issue of gay persecution. But the issue remains one of all round abuse of trust and buying access to young boys.

mrd2008

pauriceenjack said:
who elects them

a fellow starts messing with a few paints he gets for christmas
a few years after he researches the irish version of his name and starts using it
next thing he in Aosdanna
they nominate and elect themselves which is why they are all likeminded. And what a collection of misfits! O'Searcaigh is a paedophie, Raymond Deane is a prime mover in Eirigi and according to this months Magill Cristoir O'Flynn is an out and out anti-semite. and that's just for starters

sandar

a Paedophile is someone who is only sexually attracted to children, so O'Searchaigh is not that, whatever else he is. Deane used to be Ipsm and SWP, has he split again.

mrd2008

sandar said:
a Paedophile is someone who is only sexually attracted to children, so O'Searchaigh is not that, whatever else he is. Deane used to be Ipsm and SWP, has he split again.
a child is anyone under 18 according to the UN and O'Seacaigh is sleeping with 15 year olds. Deane is still in the IPSC as far as i know. Eirigi is one of his sidelines. Don't know what O'Flynn's politics are but he seems to think the Jews are the root of all evil

sandar

Yes I know he is sleeping with vchildren, but he has presumably also slept with adults, a paedophiol;e is only interested in sex with children

Coggy

I don't think I'm following this well ... He had sex with a 16year old ... so ?

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
It seems that the principle of innocence until proven guilty has been scattered to the four winds by some on this thread.

I am unaware of the details of this case, but from listening to some of Moncrieff today on Newstalk, I got the impression this has something to do with allegations regarding 16 yr olds. I would point out in that regard that the age of consent in some foreign countries is 16 - including the UK. Labour recently called for the age of consent in Ireland to be reduced to 16 in this country.

In that context, if someone is going to argue for the aoc to be reduced in this country to 16, they engage in hypocrisy imho if they then chastise someone for sexual relations with a 16 year old in a country where it is legal.

My personal opinion is that the age of consent should be 16, and I do not consider the term "paedophile" accurate in the context of sexual relations between an adult and a 16 yr old in a country where the aoc is 16. The term has been expanded in its meaning by misinformed journalists and commentators over the years. A paedophile is someone attracted to pre-pubescent children. The term ephebophile applies to children beyond that, which could arguably include a 16 yr old.

sandar

Coggy said:
Its below the age of consent and therefore a crime. Homosexuality is also a crime in Nepal unfortunately

TheBear

<Mod>Moved to Culture & Community, rather than Current Affairs.</Mod>

madura

Coggy said:
Have you ever lived in the developing world? Given the disparity in wealth (and thus power) between yourself as a Westerner and most of the locals, it is easy to get a false sense of the relationships between you and them.

Coggy

Its a crime , but does that make it wrong ? Hmosexuality is a crime there also, is it wrong ?

Popular Threads

Most Replies