• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Other people's children; A Cautionary Tale.

seanmoylantd

I'm 42 but I had two weird experiences involving 30ish Moms in the last 6 months.I 'll tell you the most recent.I was a bit shook by it to be honest.I was attending mass , queuing for Communion , when I saw a 2 year old climbing a table. It looked like an accident about to happen ,so I picked her up and told her go to her Mammy. The child climbed again. I went back, I felt an arm on my hand. It was the mother .She was standing next to her daughter ,all the time. She was angry at me. I aplologised , received and left.

Why would you be angry at a stranger helping your child?
Why would you watch your child put herself in dangers way?
What is the etiquette in these situations?

Grey Area

A 42 year old male attending mass and queuing for Communion picking up an unrelated little girl?

Niall996

Positioning yourself directly between the mother and the offspring. Lethal.

corporal punishment

You we're well within your rights to tell the mother to get her act together and mind her child properly, like responisble parents do.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.

I cannot stand parents who don't look after their kids and you are left either annoyed by the behaviour, the kid running wild, or worried, the kid doing something dangerous.

The other day I was in a restaurant and a 3 year old ran out the door into a street with traffic. Was waiting for one of them to get up, was wondering if I should do something and then thought screw it, not my problem, they'll only get mad if I give them my advice or intervene.

Clanrickard

I spoke to a Lifeguard last year who rescued two kids from drowning. On both occasions the parents roundly abused him.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Oh, and while I'm at it, the parent who plasters pics of their kids all over the Internet to drum up likes on Facebook. No no no no no no no.

Marcos the black

You need a licence to have a dog, but..........

tigerben

Oh, and while I'm at it, the parent who plasters pics of their kids all over the Internet to drum up likes on Facebook. No no no no no no no.

Drives me mad , like if you love your kids, I call them Facebook parents as the only place them seem to show love to the kids is on Facebook!

Seanie Lemass

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.

I cannot stand parents who don't look after their kids and you are left either annoyed by the behaviour, the kid running wild, or worried, the kid doing something dangerous.

The other day I was in a restaurant and a 3 year old ran out the door into a street with traffic. Was waiting for one of them to get up, was wondering if I should do something and then thought screw it, not my problem, they'll only get mad if I give them my advice or intervene.

Exactly. My only interest in the feral children of these people is if they interfere with me or mine. If they don't I couldn't care less what happens to them. There are 5 and 6 year olds where I live who are out until near midnight during school term. I suspect they may be deployed as scouts to watch for cops as some of the slightly older ones are cycling distributors of drugs for their scum parents.

controller

You are caught in a bind. If you do nothing and the child gets hurt, should you have done something. If nothing happens you are just an interfering busybody. Always a tough call

D

Dylan2010

short of a kid walking out into traffic, being obviously bullied or crying and looking lost might as well leave it, if the kid falls everyone learns a lesson.

SeanieFitz

very difficult call however in my opinion I think what you did was fine particularly as it was in a v public place with many other people around
Now if it was a situation where you were alone with the child or other kids.........difficult one.

wexfordman

Never stand between a cow and it's calf, it will likely charge at you :)