Other than himself, who is Simon Coveney fooling when it comes to abottion legislate?

automaticforthepeople

Last month in the Cork Examiner Simon Coveney the Tánaiste stated he was opposed to unrestricted abortion and that the 12 week rule in the proposed legislation and told the people of Cork
“I also think there is a responsibility and an obligation on the State to protect an unborn child also as they grow through pregnancy. The circumstances of an abortion or terminating a pregnancy needs to be justified if it is going to happen"

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/coveney-opposes-unrestricted-access-to-abortion-466610.html

Today in the Dublin based Irish Independent he told the rest of the country he's changed his mind and will back the legislation he opposed last month. Now Simon thinks that the exact same legislation will prevent unrestricted access to abortion at any point in pregnancy.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/abortion-referendum/tnaiste-now-backs-abortion-up-to-12-weeks-after-change-of-heart-36743328.html

Simon has a lot of form in playing both sides of any debate, He supported both Enda Kenny and Richard Bruton in the heave 8 years ago. Few people in Cork bother with the Irish Independent other than to watch a Highfield game in Musgrave Park.

So is this the coup de grace that most of us expect when it comes to Repealing the 8th? I do not believe this government really want to see it gone. They want people to believe that the 8th should go but really will be happy to turn around once its referendum fails to say "Lets move on".
FG want people to believe they are liberal on social matters but when it all boils down to it, afraid to rock the boat.

fifilawe

Like all Mé Féiners politicians, he speaks out of both sides of his mouth.He tells the crowd on his right hand side he is pro-life , he tells the crowd on his left hand side he is pro-choice.Conclusion : He will always be on the winning side of the debate, referendum result etc

Equinox

Coveney is a sociopath. His position was entirely a strawman sop to avoid alienating conservative FG voters and say, 'see, we're not the probort party, we have pro-life people too!'.
Now of course he's backing the party line after the PR run is done. His non existant 'concience' was rolled out for nothing more then a bit of stage managed political theatre to provide an illusion of balance in the debate.

Catalpast

The Man is a wimp

- not a shred of backbone in him

Harris

Varadkar

Coveney

All 'Pro Life'

Now Pro Abortion

What more proof is needed that these people

- are other peoples Stooges.....

Drink it - Our Bosses say its Good for You....

Zapslaststand

Twitter
@daxxdrake
Rots is tempted to go out and vote against Repeal on the basis of the enemy of my enemy principle and THE F.G boy choir brigade hypocricy ..:mad:

ger12

Another journey.

Simon Harris is also changing his mind today and talking about restricted access now, I think only up to 23 weeks. Though the changing tact is confusing and no doubt a reaction to what he proposed up to now which is abortion access up to 9 months using the UK's infamous mental health clause.

It's all a game.

Repeal. Then challenge restrictive legislation. The Supreme Court have made it crystal clear that unborn human babies have zero protection outside of the 8th. A woman's bodily integrity and privacy will be used to strike down legislation.

Ireland is being played.

Last edited:

gooner

I disagree totally with Coppinger, Smith, and all the lefties in the Dail on this topic. The same with Zappone and O'Connell.

But at least they have been clear on it and I see their position is genuine.

Martin, Doherty, Varadkar, Harris and Coveney are the complete opposite. The latter in such a short space of time is astonishing.

gerhard dengler

I disagree totally with Coppinger, Smith, and all the lefties in the Dail on this topic. The same with Zappone and O'Connell.

But at least they have been clear on it and I see their position is genuine.

Martin, Doherty, Varadkar, Harris and Coveney are the complete opposite. The latter in such a short space of time is astonishing.
Political expedience.

And they expect the electorate to trust political expedience?

Catalpast

Coveney will be as sick as a Cork Parrot if this Thing is rejected by the People

- he will look very foolish indeed...

gooner

Political expedience.

And they expect the electorate to trust political expedience?
And then yesterday we see Kenny announces his retirement.

He set in motion all this, banished all pro-life voices in his party and to this day we have never got an opinion from him on repeal.

gooner

Coveney will be as sick as a Cork Parrot if this Thing is rejected by the People

- he will look very foolish indeed...
Spare a thought for us down here, Martin and Coveney in my constituency and it looks like McGrath isn't interested in speaking out and campaigning against repeal. Jerry Buttimer was on the Committee.

There is no one that represents our view point, a viewpoint I get at the door.

Is there any way possible the rules can be changed for me to vote in another constituency?

talkingshop

Like all Mé Féiners politicians, he speaks out of both sides of his mouth.He tells the crowd on his right hand side he is pro-life , he tells the crowd on his left hand side he is pro-choice.Conclusion : He will always be on the winning side of the debate, referendum result etc
Sounds like it.

Lord Talbot

Spare a thought for us down here, Martin and Coveney in my constituency and it looks like McGrath isn't interested in speaking out and campaigning against repeal. Jerry Buttimer was on the Committee.

There is no one that represents our view point, a viewpoint I get at the door.

Is there any way possible the rules can be changed for me to vote in another constituency?
You could always move to the third world and be with your fellow pro lifers.

slysnara

Simon Coveney is the poster boy for voting No.

How can you trust politicians to legislate on abortion the way they say they will when they change their opinions out of nowhere?

Cnoc a Leassa

With the Supreme Court having definitively decided that the unborn has absolutely no rights of any shape or form, how does Coveney and colleagues justify a Constitutional provision for abortion. With the unborn have zero legal existence, a simple repeal is all that necessary

gooner

You could always move to the third world and be with your fellow pro lifers.
I can suggest Saudi as an alternative - I hear they are strong on prolife too. For the same reasons as Iona and the rest in ireland.
I'm in a developed country with a pro-life law that works.;)

gooner

Simon Coveney is the poster boy for voting No.

How can you trust politicians to legislate on abortion the way they say they will when they change their opinions out of nowhere?
Looking at the timeline of his recent comments, he will probably want no time limits by next week.

ger12

A national abortion debate has re-opened in Poland after a Down Syndrome baby born alive during an abortion dies unaided screaming for an hour.

If that baby is born at 23 weeks in Ireland, s/he will be left to die. At 24 weeks it's proposed s/he will get every medical attention.

Simon has gone to seeing value in unborn humans, to seeing no value in them at a 12 week stage of development despite the simple fact that they're already fully formed (NHS Fact).

We're looking at this cohort of humans as lesser beings, fighting over when and how to kill them.

Turning a blind eye to the Supreme Court ruling that made it crystal clear that without the 8th unborn humans have zero rights.

Dehumanise and devalue to justify.

Don't kid yourselves, this is about reproductive rights becoming the new normal.

And the interest in this goes far beyond our little island.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies