Ought Car Tax be Enforced on Rural Islands?

ruserious

I was over on a rural island off Co. Cork over the weekend where I noticed the majority of the cars had no tax or insurance.

Ive seen this before on another island nearby and I can only assume it is widespread on Irish islands.

Ought this tax evasion be acted upon?

You could argue that these islands do not benefit from continuous infrastructure investment and looking the other way on car tax is a quid pro quo.

Or you could argue that it is unfair to the rest of the population who must pay car tax and face likely consequences if they don't.

The gardai rarely if ever have a presence on these islands so is it time to clamp down on this old island tradition of evading car tax?

For clarification, there is a special rate of car tax for island vehicles. Insurance must be paid to avail of it and signed off on by Gardaí.

Last edited:

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Controlled explosions on all untaxed vehicles ...simples

And enforce the laws on no buggery of sheeps if they complain

cyp

off with their heads

did you write down their number plates so you could tout them out later ?

ergo2

Disagree

1. Island life is difficult enough.

2 Limited opportunities for motoring on most islands.

3. Rust is a major problem.

4. People should be encouraged to live on islands, but they are gradually being depopulated

gleeful

Does the tax payer own/repair the roads on these islands? If so, they should be paid for.

I imagine that per km driven, island roads cost more than busier roads.

Betson

I live in a rural area(not an Island) and much like stopping at red lights we see things like car tax etc as optional.

Don't be trying to force your city slicker nonsense on us.

ibis

Yes in theory - rural islands are in fact tax-supported, so that they don't benefit from the rest of the infrastructure is irrelevant. Any infrastructure they have is relatively costly, they should pay their taxes.

In practice, it would be petty and pointless.

Henry94.

I think there is a convention that as long as the car is only driven on the island then tax and insurance are not required. Many of them have a car on the mainland too and it was considered unfair to expect them to tax/insure both.

ruserious

I think there is a convention that as long as the car is only driven on the island then tax and insurance are not required. Many of them have a car on the mainland too and it was considered unfair to expect them to tax/insure both.
No there is a reduced car tax available for such cars.

automaticforthepeople

On many islands most residents pay car tax. If you go to Roonagh you'll see car parks full of islanders cars who use them to go to town when they enter Ireland. However if you go to the islands you'll find road surfaces that haven't been tared since Dev was a boy.
If the county council isn't resurfacing their roads on the islands, why should they pay road tax for the privilege of breaking their suspension at 15 MPH?

Website
www.merrionstreet.ie
I was over on a rural island off Co. Cork over the weekend where I noticed the majority of the cars had no tax or insurance.

Ive seen this before on another island nearby and I can only assume it is widespread on Irish islands.

Ought this tax evasion be acted upon?

You could argue that these islands do not benefit from continuous infrastructure investment and looking the other way on car tax is a quid pro quo.

Or you could argue that it is unfair to the rest of the population who must pay car tax and face likely consequences if they don't.

The gardai rarely if ever have a presence on these islands so is it time to clamp down on this old island tradition of evading car tax?

For clarification, there is a special rate of car tax for island vehicles. Insurance must be paid to avail of it and signed off on by Gardaí.
Good luck anyone trying to enforce this on the Islands.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies