Our empathy deficit towards fish

Karloff

And so the annual gruesome slaughter of dolphin families at the village of Tajii in Japan is about to begin. A lot more can be written about that particular country on this topic, they also eat fish which are still alive on the plate and are zealously pursuing others like the Blue Tuna to extinction.

It's not just intelligent dolphins either, angling is a horrific 'sport' which would never be tolerated for say hamsters or rabbits. It's almost like something from a Hammer horror movie, they catch the bait hooks rip into them and by their weight they are drawn up to suffer enormously. It is considered a 'normal' activity by humans.

It makes me wonder, why are we so permissive about atrocities visited upon aquatic life? Is it because they are imagined as being so different to us (their cold bloodedness here in particular fires our imagination) that we can easily ignore their suffering? They do not scream in pain they lack the ability i suppose that helps. They do not move much when taken from their element even. The number of ways they have to tell us what they are going through, to beg us - is limited and i think that is key. If we want to consider ourselves truly civilised we need to go further than just accepting what our senses tell us, we need to use our imaginations.

Polly Ticks

It's true.. we apply to different values to aquatic life; probably because it is so strange to us, so other worldly, as exotic as Titan.

You wouldn't stick a hook in the roof of a cow's mouth and drag across miles of fields and then drown it.... but when it comes to fish we have no such qualms, despite there being copious evidence that there is a lot of intelligent life in our oceans.

"It's OK to eat fish/Coz they don't have any feelings"

[video=youtube;hNVu55ZyC-Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNVu55ZyC-Y[/video]

johnnypockets

Could never understand the appeal of fishing for recreation. Up there with all other hunting for 'sport'

Could never understand the appeal of fishing for recreation. Up there with all other hunting for 'sport'
I know that it isn't the original intent of anglers, but it may be the only thing keeping some waterways clean.

Karloff

An emotional fish.
Why not?

They have backbones, intelligent awareness of varying levels. They form families, communities in their environment. Some are simply amazing like the salmon and what it does to propagate itself. How do you know they do not feel emotions?

Maybe you are confusing your own lack of emotion towards fish with the matter of their ability to feel emotions and pain? A common mistake eg we hug a puppy - we assume the puppy is emotion itself because it inspires strong feelings in us - when we are actually only feeding our own need to feel things and getting feedback that way.

milipod

Why not?

They have backbones, intelligent awareness of varying levels. They form families, communities in their environment. Some are simply amazing like the salmon and what it does to propagate itself. How do you know they do not feel emotions?

Maybe you are confusing your own lack of emotion towards fish with the matter of their ability to feel emotions and pain? A common mistake eg we hug a puppy - we assume the puppy is emotion itself because it inspires strong feelings in us - when we are actually only feeding our own need to feel things and getting feedback that way.
Was talking about the band.

Mad as Fish

Anybody know what the score with Sea Shepherd is nowadays? It all seems to have gone quiet on that front?

Ellen Ripley

Not to quibble with the substance of what is an interesting OP and thread title--but dolphins are mammals.

D

Deleted member 45466

[video=youtube;nEMwnBGrRrA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEMwnBGrRrA&list=FLX9yJMhjNTdVMO48fkhroWg&index=49[/video]

firefly123

And so the annual gruesome slaughter of dolphin families at the village of Tajii in Japan is about to begin. A lot more can be written about that particular country on this topic, they also eat fish which are still alive on the plate and are zealously pursuing others like the Blue Tuna to extinction.

It's not just intelligent dolphins either, angling is a horrific 'sport' which would never be tolerated for say hamsters or rabbits. It's almost like something from a Hammer horror movie, they catch the bait hooks rip into them and by their weight they are drawn up to suffer enormously. It is considered a 'normal' activity by humans.

It makes me wonder, why are we so permissive about atrocities visited upon aquatic life? Is it because they are imagined as being so different to us (their cold bloodedness here in particular fires our imagination) that we can easily ignore their suffering? They do not scream in pain they lack the ability i suppose that helps. They do not move much when taken from their element even. The number of ways they have to tell us what they are going through, to beg us - is limited and i think that is key. If we want to consider ourselves truly civilised we need to go further than just accepting what our senses tell us, we need to use our imaginations.
Sorry. I know it's wrong but I can't help thinking about Hamster Angling being the most hilarious thing ever.

rainmaker

Administrator
So you can chastise the world for it's inhumanity for fishing - yet you call a horrifically murdered young mother as 'scum' & inform us you couldn't care less about her butchering because you disagree with her politics.

You have a very damaged moral compass.

Betson

Anybody know what the score with Sea Shepherd is nowadays? It all seems to have gone quiet on that front?
Used to watch that Whale Wars on discovery , the skipper came across an arrogant old sod.

I think he was thrown out of Greenpeace for been too militant.

But I suppose you can't question his commitment to the cause.

ShoutingIsLeadership

I fish because I enjoy eating fresh mackerel.

When I have enough for my needs I stop.

I mostly stop long before I have enough for my needs.

I was fishing for three days running this summer.

Zilch.

You should have tried standing still

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt

EUrJokingMeRight

Fish eat fish that are still alive.

Just saying.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies