Our Olympic tickets for sale

McTell

Twitter
No
Our should of course read "our", because the Olympic Council of Ireland is an NGO that has to look after its own. The OCI is paid about €10m a year by us taxpayers to run the olympic side of Irish life, does a reasonable job and is given carte blanche. RTE are on the bandwagon as well, budget unknown.

2 guys from an unlinked company, THG, have just been arrested selling tickets originally allocated to the OCI in Rio:

Inquiry into alleged sale of Irish Olympic tickets - RTÉ News

Feeling left out? Never mind, you can buy another one just like this for only €212 - 10,600 a pop:

Closing Ceremony Rio 2016 Tickets | Ticketbis Ireland

The system is that the OCI gets tickets; sells them thru its re-seller Pro 10; Pro 10 sell on to you, or to the likes of ticketbis, who sell to you. They must be sold in Ireland, or in any case outside Brazil.

In Brazil, reseller rights are held by IMM who are huge. Brazil's criminal law of 2010 also forbids anyone selling a ticket above the face price. The locals say that just 10 irish tickets were sold for US$80,000.

Nothing wrong if OCI sell to Pro 10, who then sell to THG, who then sell them on. So long as they don't sell them in Brazil. But shouldn't the process be more out in the open? Shouldn't OCI-allocated tickets be sold only to Irish residents whose taxes pay to keep OCI going?

This one could, emm, run and run.

D

Deleted member 48908

The OCI were probably short of a few bob after turning the diving pool green.

im axeled

Our should of course read "our", because the Olympic Council of Ireland is an NGO that has to look after its own. The OCI is paid about €10m a year by us taxpayers to run the olympic side of Irish life, does a reasonable job and is given carte blanche. RTE are on the bandwagon as well, budget unknown.

2 guys from an unlinked company, THG, have just been arrested selling tickets originally allocated to the OCI in Rio:

Inquiry into alleged sale of Irish Olympic tickets - RTÉ News

Feeling left out? Never mind, you can buy another one just like this for only €212 - 10,600 a pop:

Closing Ceremony Rio 2016 Tickets | Ticketbis Ireland

The system is that the OCI gets tickets; sells them thru its re-seller Pro 10; Pro 10 sell on to you, or to the likes of ticketbis, who sell to you. They must be sold in Ireland, or in any case outside Brazil.

In Brazil, reseller rights are held by IMM who are huge. Brazil's criminal law of 2010 also forbids anyone selling a ticket above the face price. The locals say that just 10 irish tickets were sold for US$80,000.

Nothing wrong if OCI sell to Pro 10, who then sell to THG, who then sell them on. So long as they don't sell them in Brazil. But shouldn't the process be more out in the open? Shouldn't OCI-allocated tickets be sold only to Irish residents whose taxes pay to keep OCI going?

This one could, emm, run and run.
thg have form in this, they got caught at the same craic in london

Levellers

Pat Hickey has been President of the OCI for 27 years. His son Stephen used to work for THG Sports who were in possession of the OCI allocated tickets that Dubliner Kevin Mallon was touting.

Nothing to see here.

Trainwreck

Pat Hickey has been President of the OCI for 27 years. His son Stephen used to work for THG Sports who were in possession of the OCI allocated tickets that Dubliner Kevin Mallon was touting.

Nothing to see here.
Jesus.

After hearing this reported I just knew the best little country in the world wouldn't let me down...

Barna

Nothing to see here.
Is Hickey a blueshirt?
Sounds like one of their lot.

McTell

Twitter
No

Spanner Island

We don't have the best record in the Olympics do we... Smith, doped up horses and now a doped up boxer and ticket fraud...

I've lost interest in the Olympics and treat practically every result with a healthy dose of scepticism...

And I guess I've been aided and abetted in my scepticism by our own participation in various scandals over the years too...

Barna

What shade of blue would you like son? petunia

Not there.
I'm just thinking of Frankey boy the supposed ex-blueshirt and his sense of entitlement to taxpayers money from another NGO....

Watcher2

We don't have the best record in the Olympics do we... Smith, doped up horses and now a doped up boxer and ticket fraud...

I've lost interest in the Olympics and treat practically every result with a healthy dose of scepticism...

And I guess I've been aided and abetted in my scepticism by our own participation in various scandals over the years too...
As far as I know, we have had three doping scandals in all the Olympics. Even for our small size, that's not too bad. Of course, they are the ones that got caught but innocent till proven etc etc. (and even swimmer smith was not proven, but enough stink though).

Harmonica

The OCI do not get anything like €10m from the state. Individual sports on the otherh and do get funding but I doubt it gets near that number.

From the Irish Times:

Mr Mallon is an executive at sports hospitality company THG Sports which was the OCI’s authorised ticket reseller for the 2012 London Olympics and the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi. The OCI says Stephen Hickey, the son of OCI president Pat Hickey, was a temporary manager at THG Sports at the time of the Olympic Games in London
THG were done for the same thing at the Brazil World Cup two years ago so ignorance of the law is not a valid excuse this time

BACKTOBASICS

Meanwhile the gob************************es are still pointing ........ "Oh look, there is Michelle Smith over there", and all the time, something rotten at the core of OCI - and now the boxer.

Doping has been widespread for years throughout the Olympics and other competitions, and the bigger nations were able to throw a dampener on it or ignore it completely. The Irish are good at chasing up enquiries/orders re doping from the USA (Michelle Smith) but fail to ask the US to check out their own competitors - an inferiority complex perhaps.

Now look what is going on here with the tickets - from one organisation to another, and another, and yet another - something that attracts ticket touting.

Between the boxer (not blaming him so much, at least he owned up, but what about the expense, he should have admitted it earlier) and now the ticket touting, the OCI need a thorough kicking and major overhaul, starting at the top, as OUR money is being misused.

But then again, this being Ireland, everyone will get away scot free, with no accountability and no consequences. The only fall guy is the little old Irish taxpayer.

When will all this stop? We are the 'best little country' in which to do 'business' all right, but only for the insiders. Ireland is rapidly getting a name internationally for being dodgy, even though we have known this ourselves for a long time now.

Last edited:

McTell

Twitter
No
The OCI do not get anything like €10m from the state. Individual sports on the otherh and do get funding but I doubt it gets near that number

A whole lot of sports share 10m -

https://www.irishsportscouncil.ie/Media/Latest_News/2016/February/Download_Investment_2016.pdf

Looks like another 10m for Rio:

Minister Ring & Sport Ireland Announce

"To support Irish participation at the Rio Olympic and Paralympic Games in August and September, a total grant package in excess of €10 million was announced. In addition, with the supports of the services of the new Institute of Sport High Performance Training Centre, at Sport Ireland's National Sports Campus, the total investment in High Performance Sport for 2016 will be well in excess of €11 million."

.....plus the profit on the tickets. OCI mention this briefly - OCI Statement On Rio 2016 Ticketing Arrests » Olympic Council of Ireland

OCI don't volunteer anything about their accounts, but 2014 are at -
https://benefacts.ie/Org/1c9ab936-0179-4e55-9413-8d35ad81b7d7/THE-OLYMPIC-COUNCIL-OF-IRELAND-LIMITED

corporal punishment

I normally follow these events closely, world cups, euro's etc but the for some reason the the last few OG's have left me completely disinterested. I'm not sure why but apart from Katie Taylor I genuinely couldn't care less what happens.

Trainwreck

As far as I know, we have had three doping scandals in all the Olympics. Even for our small size, that's not too bad. Of course, they are the ones that got caught but innocent till proven etc etc. (and even swimmer smith was not proven, but enough stink though).
The US send a team probably 50 times as big. Have they had 150 drugs cheats?

Watcher2

The US send a team probably 50 times as big. Have they had 150 drugs cheats?
I don't know. I am only commenting on the Irish number. It just seems small. Of course I don't agree that it should happen at all but since it has, three just seems small. We have won more medals over the years FFS and our medals haul is miniscule.

gerhard dengler

Sport at the very highest level generally has certainly become badly corrupted.

Match fixing, performance enhancing drugs, pay off's, bribery, shamateurism.

Unfortunately a lot of this too has permeated in to the amateur ranks as well.

New Threads

Most Replies